Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL expansion plans until 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I always find funny/sad, how such numbers are misinterpreted. ...
+1!

It is almost like Finavia is a publicly traded corp needing some stats to prove the strategy chosen.

The infomercial adresses frequent travellers just once, and that is when it claims the airport app is for them (yet it is filled with commercial stuff like tracking of your movements and obtrusive ads for buying overpriced stuff at the "taxfree")
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by intuition
The passage near gate 26-27 is the worst and has been so for a long time. (Wasn't it the same congestion already in the age of "Boulevard" and "Avenue" )

Back then it truly was under one roof and they still had 4 longhaul gates. Now, many years and billions later they have only expanded to 7 gates, while quadrupling the walking distances.

Did they ever contemplate a concourse instead? If you look at the layout of the tarmac, doesn't a separate concourse building between the two parallel runways make some sense?
Originally Posted by ffay005
They have. There's even a train station (Viinikkala-Vinkby) planned for that second terminal building / concourse. But they have, at least until now, opted for a one-terminal solution, which, considering the size of the airport, is better IMHO.

I think the problem is that HEL is almost all about AY. If they had a second terminal far away, which flights would they put there? Star and Skyteam combined would still only need perhaps 8 gates, which I don't think is enough to warrant a terminal of its own.

I think the main problem is that the current terminal is like a puzzle consisting of too many pieces put together during a period of 50 years. Ideally, they should demolish everything and build a new, well-planned terminal. Which of course is impossible. (And I would miss the parquet floors!)
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Actually it was 5 gates for long hauls, if needed. 29-33.

And before south wing renovation longhaul gates were 31-38 (8 gates)
But currently 7 (32-34 and 52-55) and it seems that 7 jetbridge gates is all there is going to be until 2020?
And 31 still in use.
But 31 is non-schengen, right? So that would correspond to the usage of gate 29 in the avenue/boulevard age.
So I think the comparison is 4 gates back then and 7 gates now (until 2020). I guess the bus gate 50 is going to be heavy utilised.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Stand 31 (stand 32 also) can be used as non-Schengen and Schengen. And 31 is used as non-Schengen during rush hours 15-18 and for passengers it's 32A.

Jet bridges 31 32 33 34 52 53 54 55 are in long haul use when south wing is operating.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Finnair

... And 31 is used as non-Schengen during rush hours 15-18 and for passengers it's 32A.
At least the last couple of days, all CPH flights left from 31, so that is pretty schengen-y...
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
At least the last couple of days, all CPH flights left from 31, so that is pretty schengen-y...
The gate 31 can be boarded both from the non-Schengen and Schengen area. If it is used for a non-Schengen flight, the passengers board at 32A (not a bus gate!), turn right and walk for a hundred meters or so, eventually getting to the actual gate 31 (which has doors closed to the Schengen part at that time, of course).

So I don't know whether to count it as a non-Schengen or Schengen gate, it's flexible.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:27 pm

Yes it is mostly Schengen stand before and after afternoon long haul wave.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I've studied the blueprints a bit, and am I right saying that...?
* 3.rd floor of south-finger will be used for arriving pax, but there is no 3.rd floor on the rest of T2 yet

* Arriving pax from G53-55 will be led back down on 2.nd floor via stairs at gate 53, then led in the old glass corridor all the way back to security between G32 and G33. (from G55 that is going to be a seriously long walk - and no moving walkways)

* when Plaza security is operational, the glass corridor will be used from both G32-34 and south finger to feed new security via temporary path, all still kept on 2.nd floor.

* Then upstairs construction will start, first connecting south finger 3.rd floor, making these pax arrive to plaza via the "scenic" escolators. From this point, south wing will be fully operational like intended.

* Final stage is getting 3.rd floor for G32-34, possibly not before entire west wing is finished (as 3.rd floor for G32-34 implies getting dual floor jetbridges which can't be done with the gates operational.)
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt

So I don't know whether to count it as a non-Schengen or Schengen gate, it's flexible.
Like 32.
Sometimes arriving from ARN same aircraft goes next to LHR from stand 32 and pax from ARN walk to Schengen area via glass tube and exit via gate 31X.

Last Thursday when AY715 to PRG was A333, OH-LTS arrived from JFK to gate 32 and PRG passengers boarded via non-Schengen gate 31X.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

* Arriving pax from G53-55 will be led back down on 2.nd floor via stairs at gate 53, then led in the old glass corridor all the way back to security between G32 and G33. (from G55 that is going to be a seriously long walk - and no moving walkways)
There is a moving walkway there.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Finnair

There is a moving walkway there.
Is there? I am talking about the now existing glass corridor that runs around entire T2 from G38 to G31.
As I read the floor plans, they will keep on using this corridor until 3.rd floor is finished.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Finnair

The gate 31 can be boarded both from the non-Schengen and Schengen area. If it is used for a non-Schengen flight, the passengers board at 32A (not a bus gate!), turn right and walk for a hundred meters or so, eventually getting to the actual gate 31 (which has doors closed to the Schengen part at that time, of course).
Ah, yes I remember the duality of this gate now. So that makes it 8 gates now and until 2020.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:01 pm

Is there? I am talking about the now existing glass corridor that runs around entire T2 from G38 to G31.
As I read the floor plans, they will keep on using this corridor until 3.rd floor is finished.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the walk from the gate 55 to the transfer security. There's a moving walkway on the third floor.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:21 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Ah yes, I see it now. Between G54 and G53 there is moving walkway on third floor (arrivals). From G53 though, you will be walking to old transfer security until January 2019 when new security at central plaza opens.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
AY 5 is scheluded to depart from the south wing today (gate 54).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

AFAIU, investments for west wing gates are yet to be decided upon? Ie there is actually no decision made yet for any gate-expansion at all? When central plaza is finished, gate 36 will re-emerge as gate 51 so at that stage HEL will be at status quo (8 gates or 9 if we count 32A).
HEL is already above 17 million pax and is planning for 20 million pax, perhaps more gates isn't what is needed in short term.

I can't find short term plans for the nearby competition, but CPH is planning to add 46 gates by 2040. Going from 76 to 124 gates, anticipating serving 40 million pax (+15 million).
ARN is planning for 35 million pax by 2040 (+14 million).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.