Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL expansion plans until 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Viewed the construction briefly from tarmac the other day and it looks like construction for central plaza and a wing for 3 gates is well under way - support columns for third floor was being added.

By looking at the planning permit it looks to correspond to the line-dotted stage, with "kellari". For the westernmost part of the wing I couldn't see any columns or building parts, some ground works seemed to be going on though.
Attached Images  
florens likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Viewed the construction briefly from tarmac the other day and it looks like construction for central plaza and a wing for 3 gates is well under way - support columns for third floor was being added.
Now the structure of the central plaza has advanced quite far and installation of roof elements is underway. It can be seen clearly now that overground construction has been done for the plaza only: there are no overground works at all for the gate section of the west wing. However, aircraft stands with concrete paving are already being built along the upcoming west wing. Perhaps they will be used as bus stands before building the gates?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by r2d2
However, aircraft stands with concrete paving are already being built along the upcoming west wing. Perhaps they will be used as bus stands before building the gates?
Some new stands were just recently taken into use as bus stands. Two weeks ago my BA flight parked at new concrete stand 47S. At least two more stands should be in use by the end of the year.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Now the structure of the central plaza has advanced quite far and installation of roof elements is underway. It can be seen clearly now that overground construction has been done for the plaza only: there are no overground works at all for the gate section of the west wing.
Thanks, very interesting report!

Central plaza would at least allow for a come back of gate 35 if nothing else.

But maybe they are focused to get the new security screening area in central plaza online, so they quickly can convert current security area to commercial space!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by haapalainen
Some new stands were just recently taken into use as bus stands. Two weeks ago my BA flight parked at new concrete stand 47S. At least two more stands should be in use by the end of the year.
Interesting. Here is the chart for those interested.
https://www.ais.fi/ais/aip/ad/efhk/EF_AD_2_EFHK_APDC.pdf
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Nice link!
I guess there is no come-back for Gate 35 until west wing is finished.

One can also see those lovely stands over at apron 8, by hangar 11, with a bus ride that makes you think you've landed at FRA!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Nice link!
One can also see those lovely stands over at apron 8, by hangar 11, with a bus ride that makes you think you've landed at FRA!
Bus rides to remote stands, they are great!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

New entrance

A new rendering of the HEL entrance?

Well, not really. It is the completed "Visitors center" at Apple, with a striking resemblance to what ALA architects suggested for Vantaa.
If Finavia goes ahead with the suggested glass walls and wavey roof in fair wood, will there also be an Apple store in the departures hall?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Groundfloor for full west wing is "ready". Several of the jetbridge towers are also underway, including upto Gate S49
Attached Images  
florens and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Does anyone have any news to report on development?
(Finavia launched a new site not suitable for desktop and also forgot to pay translators so I can't find any information there). Is any major milestone supposed to happen this year?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Is any major milestone supposed to happen this year?
Nope. The Plaza and the T1 extension are due to open next year and the West Wing in 2020.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Nope. The Plaza and the T1 extension are due to open next year and the West Wing in 2020.
Exactly, I remember I read somewhere that year 2018 is the year when nothing finishes but many projects are started/continued. In addition to The Plaza, West Wing and T1 extension they just started building new expanded border control area between Schengen/Non-Schengen that should be ready next year.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Drawer of Cards
HEL is one of my fav airports, simple yet highly efficient.
I hope they do this probably, not another "Länsimetro" project.
Cupart likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

In other news, ARN has postponed construction on its new G pier by at least 2 years.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
This morning I departed from gate 53 in the new wing. I believe gate 52 or 51 (the one before, in the end of the old area) was closed and out of use. They let in priority boarders to a pre-boarding ”pen” by the jetbridge. Non-priority boarders were let in to another pen separated from priority by a closed gate. I could not help but think of cattle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.