Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by vulle
Unfortunately BA ticketed / AY metal will not give any seat selection at all – even for BA Gold / OWE as I found out in November (travelling in business in a few weeks). Tried also with AY's customer service, was told I have to wait until check-in. Disappointed with AY's IT as seat selection had worked earlier in 2022.
As usual Finnair failed. Checked-in via BA and we were assigned 8L and 9L on A350 with a new cabin, unable to select seats myself. Too bad 8L is in forward business cabin and 9L in rear business cabin, not fun to be separated from my 10-year old daughter. Chat agent saw no problem with that, we are both flying business and should be happy enough. I have now sent AY a twitter message, let`s see if I get a reply — guess I need to discuss with the gate agent at LHR…
nordic, SPBanker and petteriusa like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by vulle
As usual Finnair failed. Checked-in via BA and we were assigned 8L and 9L on A350 with a new cabin, unable to select seats myself. Too bad 8L is in forward business cabin and 9L in rear business cabin, not fun to be separated from my 10-year old daughter. Chat agent saw no problem with that, we are both flying business and should be happy enough. I have now sent AY a twitter message, let`s see if I get a reply — guess I need to discuss with the gate agent at LHR…
Twitter customer service fixed this, now we are both seated in the rear business cabin. Happy with the end result, but not how we got there – Finnair’s IT is lacking and service levels are extremely mixed.
r2d2, SPBanker, esledo and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
for future reference, if on a ba ticketed ay flight you can do seat selection by using the RJ or RAM sites and their MMB.
r2d2, lsquare and skicowboys like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
for future reference, if on a ba ticketed ay flight you can do seat selection by using the RJ or RAM sites and their MMB.
Had tried these several times as well, also MH – to no avail. Seemd to be a cursed booking
KARFA and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Free seat selection and checked luggage with AY economy light?

As a BAEC Gold/OWE, do I get a free seat selection and checked luggage?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
As a BAEC Gold/OWE, do I get a free seat selection and checked luggage?
yes as normal, and lounge access.
Grande Annee and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yonasl
Posting this here in case it helps future travellers:

- Asked AY on their chat about being able to book ANY economy / premium economy seat if I am OneWorld Emerald on a short haul flight (only business or economy classes available). The answer was that myself and anybody on my booking should be able to select any seat including premium economy ones (usually priced at £65)

- I then booked a flight that included a HEL-LHR leg where the a350 operates with premium economy seats

- I went into Finnair’s manage my booking and tried to select the PE seats. I was asked for payment for all passengers

- I then went into the chat and asked Vladimir to assign the PE seats for me. He said I should pay and that’s it

- so I closed the chat and opened it again. This time I asked Tanya about the PE seats first. Could I book them for free? She said yes. I insisted, what about the rest of the passenger? Also. So I then gave her the booking reference and voila, now all seats could be selected on the website for free. Unfortunately I clicked somewhere and closed the chat and couldn’t thank her

So now you know. Don’t trust Vlad, trust Tanya!
I have OWE (BA Gold) status and I'm doing a dummy booking on Finnair.com, re LHR-HEL-HKG return in PE (Classic).

The LHR-HEL sector is allowing me to select seats for free, the HEL-LHR is also free but there is a £57 fee to select a seat in the PE cabin. Both HEL-HKG out/return there is a fee to select a seat about £57.

So reading this post, should I just book the flights without selecting the seats and once ticketed, either try MMB or AY's chat function?

BTW: if I happen to go for PE Lite (Hand baggage only) do I still get free seat selection and lounge access as OWE?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I have OWE (BA Gold) status and I doing a dummy booking on Finnair.com, re LHR-HEL-HKG return in PE.

The LHR-HEL sector is allowing me to select seats for free, the HEL-LHR is also free but there is a £57 fee to select a seat in the PE cabin. Both HEL-HKG out/return there is a fee to select a seat about £57.

So reading this post, should I just book the flights without selecting the seats and once ticketed, either try MMB or AY's chat function?

Thanks
Correct but do as follows:

- book your flights

- then go to the chat and ask “hey, can I select any seat in economy as a OW Emerald?” They will reply “of course”

- insist “even the PE seats at the front?” (They get a little confused here as they will say “there is no PE” but eventually get it). They should say “yes, any seat”

- only then say “ok, let me give you my booking reference so you can assist me select the seats”

I made the mistake of asking, closing the chat and the opening a new one and the guy was not very helpful and wanted to charge £57 to each of us.

When I did it a second time the woman on the other end must have changed some setting because now I can use the system and select any seat in Y/PE myself.

Good luck!
vulle and FlyingWelshie like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Such inconsistency should be illegal.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I have OWE (BA Gold) status and I'm doing a dummy booking on Finnair.com, re LHR-HEL-HKG return in PE (Classic).

BTW: if I happen to go for PE Lite (Hand baggage only) do I still get free seat selection and lounge access as OWE?

Thanks
I didn’t see the last question:
- seat selection and lounge is a benefit of your OWE not the class so regardless of what you fly you should be able to get both
FlyingWelshie likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:36 am

In an A350, what would be the better choice for a seat as an OWE: the economy comfort seats or 52 A/L for a long-haul flight? Is it still the case that during regular OCI you cannot select the Economy comfort seat?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dfwams
In an A350, what would be the better choice for a seat as an OWE: the economy comfort seats or 52 A/L for a long-haul flight? Is it still the case that during regular OCI you cannot select the Economy comfort seat?
Are you fat or tall? Do you pee a lot? Do you care about getting off the plane first?

I prefer economy comfort. Leg room is good enough and generally you get a free seat next to you.,
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I booked a couple of Finnair flights last night and had no issues selecting seats at the time of booking.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I'm an OW Emerald. In an AS award reservation, I go to the AY website, find my flight and select a preferred seat. $0, so so far so good. But once I exit the seating chart back to the reservation page, the cost is now updated and confirmed at $54. What gives?
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Try going to the RJ site and assign it there. If it does not work, contact AY CS and they will assign it to you free of charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.