Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair seat selection as One World Emerald

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by florens
CS is talking höpöhöpö. Next time I recommend to huaca.
Have tried with several CS-agents and with AY twitter to no avail.
esledo likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:28 am

I am OWE via AA, and had no trouble selecting seats with Biz Light tix for JFK-HEL and HEL-BKK in a couple of weeks. Booked directly with AY, not AA.

The booking does say Baggage 0PC, but I am hoping that is in error.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by vulle
Unfortunately BA ticketed / AY metal will not give any seat selection at all – even for BA Gold / OWE as I found out in November (travelling in business in a few weeks). Tried also with AY's customer service, was told I have to wait until check-in. Disappointed with AY's IT as seat selection had worked earlier in 2022.
I'm getting something similar. Have LHR-HEL-JFK as BA codes on AY metal. Was able to select a seat on the first flight via rj.com, but the second flight shows "blocked" for all seats. On finnair.com it wants to charge me for seats for both flights (even though I have already selected one).

EDIT: after nearly an hour on chat the agent was able to get me a seat.

Last edited by skunker; Jan 31, 2023 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
May i ask as a oneworldemerald, are all seats in pey specifically up for selection?

i had a chat with the person on the web, and i was told that the preferred seat 21A is chargeable. However i was surprised that even 23A is also chargeable. She assigned 22L.

is this normal? If i am eligible (not wanting to sound too entitled) for any seat, who can i write to?

i am just puzzled about this.. thanks alot for any advice!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Microtat
May i ask as a oneworldemerald, are all seats in pey specifically up for selection?

i had a chat with the person on the web, and i was told that the preferred seat 21A is chargeable. However i was surprised that even 23A is also chargeable. She assigned 22L.

is this normal? If i am eligible (not wanting to sound too entitled) for any seat, who can i write to?

i am just puzzled about this.. thanks alot for any advice!
All seats should be free for OWE
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:05 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mpkz
All seats should be free for OWE
However, there have been multiple reports that OWEs have been charged for seat selection in PEY.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Originally Posted by lkrt
However, there have been multiple reports that OWEs have been charged for seat selection in PEY.
I was prepared to let it go if they only charged for preferred seats. But whats with the charge for different standard seats?

Any contacts to share to overcome this would be appreciated
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:21 am

Hello, I arrived here thinking it will help me understand seating rights a little more and find myself with more questions!

We are four passenger on the same booking. One BA Gold, one Silver and two Blues. We need to change some flights and may end up on the A350 HEL to LHR with Premium Economy.

Question is: can the whole party benefit from the Gold benefits for seat selection or only the passengers with status can select the PE seats while the rest are assigned a free one at check-in? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AY does not sell PE on the LHR route, and as far as I can tell, the PE seats are blocked. However, they may be assigned (to Y pax) at the check-in desk at the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
AY does not sell PE on the LHR route, and as far as I can tell, the PE seats are blocked. However, they may be assigned (to Y pax) at the check-in desk at the airport.
They can be booked for £65. The thing is if OWE/S can select them and if the rest of the party can too ...
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Yonasl
They can be booked for £65. The thing is if OWE/S can select them and if the rest of the party can too ...
I have not been able to select them for free before check-in as OWE. Not sure if they open up at check-in.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:42 am
Suspended

No, they are not free on short-haul, even for OWE/Lumo. Even the check-in desk in Helsinki does not assign those for free (last experience was last summer though, so maybe it has changed).
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:29 am

FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Data point: AA ticketed, AY operated (duh). Four people in PE, including one Emerald and one Ruby (other two pax don’t have status). Chatted with agent last night who initially wanted to charge me but after a bit of pushback and mentioning that the last time I flew Finnair I was given a seat for free at booking, she assigned four PE seats for free. If I want to change seats, the system will charge me.
she did, however, make it sound like this was an exception to the rule. So something still needs to change smh
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:22 pm

Posting this here in case it helps future travellers:

- Asked AY on their chat about being able to book ANY economy / premium economy seat if I am OneWorld Emerald on a short haul flight (only business or economy classes available). The answer was that myself and anybody on my booking should be able to select any seat including premium economy ones (usually priced at £65)

- I then booked a flight that included a HEL-LHR leg where the a350 operates with premium economy seats

- I went into Finnair’s manage my booking and tried to select the PE seats. I was asked for payment for all passengers

- I then went into the chat and asked Vladimir to assign the PE seats for me. He said I should pay and that’s it

- so I closed the chat and opened it again. This time I asked Tanya about the PE seats first. Could I book them for free? She said yes. I insisted, what about the rest of the passenger? Also. So I then gave her the booking reference and voila, now all seats could be selected on the website for free. Unfortunately I clicked somewhere and closed the chat and couldn’t thank her

So now you know. Don’t trust Vlad, trust Tanya!

Last edited by Yonasl; Feb 7, 2023 at 2:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.