Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL Lounge/Shower on Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
I usually go with the border guards rather than the automatic gates, unless there is a queue. They are much faster! As an EU citizen, I've ever been asked to show a boarding pass.

I have gone back and forth several times in the space of a few minutes when I've forgotten to do some shopping on the other side. This has never been remarked upon.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Providing you're EU citizen (or have otherwise no Schengen related immigration issues, like visa, etc) you may just walk back to the non-Schengen area. If you have a biometric passport, you won't even see a border guard (and anyway they check only passports, not b/p's afaik)
If OP is arriving from Beijing, why should he/she exit the non-Schengen area in the first place? It is possible just to go straight to AY non-Schengen lounge and not to proceed to Schengen side until the GOT flight is departing...
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
My thoughts as well.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OP, Just turn right, no problem.
(There has been some debate on wether or not AY likes us to use it as arrival lounge. But there shouldn't be a problem. )

There isn't any detailed map, just this:
http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/more-i...ges/servicemap

The red arrow between G32 and 33 is where you enter arriving from asia.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Finnair Plus
Ok, will turn right then in a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone for the info!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA Lifetime Gold, AF Silver
Hi, I was in J on the JFK-HEL flight last week (OW Emerald but not AY) and was told that unless I were AY Plat, I could not use the showers in the non-Schengen lounge without a connecting flight. So you might be ok with your GVA BP.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by KUGN
Hi, I was in J on the JFK-HEL flight last week (OW Emerald but not AY) and was told that unless I were AY Plat, I could not use the showers in the non-Schengen lounge without a connecting flight. So you might be ok with your GVA BP.
Yeah, I think that was the consensus of the past discussion - if HEL is your destination AY plat card is needed, regardless of fare class on incoming flight.

If you have a connection, they sometimes still ask for the plat card, because they are not used to be presented with schengen boarding passes. Then the advice is to stand your ground and friendly remind them that you have an onward OW flight and you have access to any lounge run by Finnair under OW rules.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:29 pm

Is this now available?

Hi, I see it is almost a year since this thread was last updated. We are flying AY J JFK-HEL, then flying HEL-ZRH also in J...but considering taking that leg the next morning to allow us a day to visit Helsinki.

Taking a shower upon arrival would make this a much more doable option. We are both US citizens, in case that makes a difference. Besides using the lounge, is there a recommended airport hotel that might allow an early morning check-in?

Thank you!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Yes, I've been able to use the showers in the lounge upon arriving from JFK even when HEL is my final destination. You can try Hilton Vantaa (walking distance but just outside the airport terminal) or Glo (inside the terminal) and ask for day rates; this will allow you to use the room from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can't book these rooms through the Internet but you can call the hotels directly or just walk in.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:09 am

Thank you! Did it matter if you were Schengen passenger arriving? We will not be.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by CherylD
Thank you! Did it matter if you were Schengen passenger arriving? We will not be.
No, the showers are in the non-Schengen AY lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.