Wiki Posts
Search

HEL Lounge/Shower on Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
HEL Lounge/Shower on Arrival?

I found a few older threads but they didn't seem to address this specifically.

I will be arriving in HEL on a flight from JFK. I then have a separate flight later in the day to CDG (on AF).

Upon arrival, will I be able to use one of the two lounges in the Non-Schengen area? Or will I be forced to exit and clear immigration/customs?

I was hoping to grab a shower before going out to explore Helsinki for the day.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I think you won't be able to use either, as they are not arrival lounges and neither is used by AF.

TBH I don't even know which Schengen side lounge serves AF pax
Old May 22, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
TBH I don't even know which Schengen side lounge serves AF pax
It is Servisair Aspire lounge (near gate 27) for AF CDG flights (=codeshare with AY). They have showers available for addional charge.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA GfL
If you're ticketed in C or J, you may be able to convince the greeters/receptionists to let you use the showers. I always use the showers upon arriving from JFK (in C or J) in the mornings and connect with evening flights to HKG or BKK.

Anyway, since you plan to explore Helsinki for the day, you can always take a shower at one of the public pools in Helsinki (I recommend Makelanrinne, stop is Velodrome/Pyorailystadion/Pasila on airport bus #615), use sauna, go for a swim, etc. for 7 euros (or something like that). But you need to bring your own soap/shampoo and towel (or rent one from the desk). Buy a same-day bus ticket (from bus driver or R Kiosks in the non-Schengen zone before passport control and departures area before security) for unlimited bus/tram/metro rides in Helsinki and from airport to Helsinki and back. After showering/swimming, take Tram #7A to Helsinki Senate Square or harbor and catch #615 back to the airport from central rail station.

Last edited by Peregrine415; May 22, 2013 at 11:40 pm
Old May 23, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Earlier this month, the lounge dragon was turning people away who arrived on the JFK flight and who were not connecting on another AY flight that same day. They clearly do not want it to be an arrival lounge.

Another option, albeit pricier, is to get a day room at the Hilton which is across the street from the terminal. I've done this a few times when connecting from the JFK flight to an Asia flight. Last time I did it, the rate was approx. 100 Euro.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Another option, albeit pricier, is to get a day room at the Hilton which is across the street from the terminal. I've done this a few times when connecting from the JFK flight to an Asia flight. Last time I did it, the rate was approx. 100 Euro.
Also the small Glo Hotel Airport in the terminal building (Terminal 2, service floor) offers day rooms for EUR 89, room availability 9:00AM - 06:00PM.

http://dayroom.hotelglo.fi/en/glo-airport/
Old May 23, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Andaman
Also the small Glo Hotel Airport in the terminal building (Terminal 2, service floor) offers day rooms for EUR 89, room availability 9:00AM - 06:00PM.

http://dayroom.hotelglo.fi/en/glo-airport/
At least when it was a Scandic, they also offered just the shower and sauna for something like 10€.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

OK, I'm a colossal goof. I'm actually arriving from JFK and connecting on an AY flight later in the day to GVA (at which point I *then* connect to the AF flight to CDG). Not sure how I forgot that little part about connecting to GVA?

At any rate, I do have a connection in HEL and it's on AY.
However, I will be connecting from JFK (non-Schengen international arrival) to a Schengen flight.

What are my chances of making it into the Schengen lounge?

BTW - I'm flying in Y but I'm a OW Emerald.

Many thanks and so sorry about the confusion - which was all mine!
Old May 23, 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
However, I will be connecting from JFK (non-Schengen international arrival) to a Schengen flight.

Helsinki airport is among few European airports which follows the European Union security rules allowing transfers from US arrivals to skip a new security screen. Arriving passengers from the US flights (just JFK and later AA arrivals from ORD) enter directly to gate area where the lounge is situated. After showering you take a short walk to the passport inspection and then you arrive in Europe (Schengen including Switzerland). Make sure that your luggage is checked through to Geneva. Otherwise you have to go to arrivals after passport control and then to security control. Even this situation would not endanger the showering but would take a longer time. No problems if the JFK-HEL (AY) and HEL-GVA (AY op by Flybe) are on a separate ticket but a separate ticket GVA-CDG means that AY will not check your luggage from GVA to CDG.

Out of curiosity, how did you end up in such an interesting route as JFK-HEL-GVA-CDG.

Last edited by nordic; May 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Old May 23, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
OK, I'm a colossal goof. I'm actually arriving from JFK and connecting on an AY flight later in the day to GVA (at which point I *then* connect to the AF flight to CDG). Not sure how I forgot that little part about connecting to GVA?

At any rate, I do have a connection in HEL and it's on AY.

BTW - I'm flying in Y but I'm a OW Emerald.

Many thanks and so sorry about the confusion - which was all mine!
I was in the exact same situation (expect in J), connecting in HEL from JFK to WAW (also a Shengen destination). No problem for me to use the non-Shengen lounge on arrival. You're eligible to use the Shengen lounge beofre your GVA flight by virtue of your OW Emerald status, but I suppose they'd be within their rights to deny access to the non-Shengen lounge. Worth a try. let us know if it works out.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'll be sure to come back and post on what happens.

As to the question about routing - would you believe me if I told you I'm actually doing LAX-JFK-HEL-GVA? I booked this months ago - found a pretty cheapo roundtrip fare.

The GVA-CDG was an add-on when I decided I didn't really want to be in Geneva.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:13 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I know that in the past they allowed AY Plats to use the lounge on arrival as I once did that (transit to Schengen) and asked about it, I do not know what is the current policy as I do very few transits at HEL, for some strange reason..

I'd imagine you will have no problems with the EXP card..AY often tends to pamper non-AY elites even more than their own..
Old May 24, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'll be sure to come back and post on what happens.

As to the question about routing - would you believe me if I told you I'm actually doing LAX-JFK-HEL-GVA? I booked this months ago - found a pretty cheapo roundtrip fare.

The GVA-CDG was an add-on when I decided I didn't really want to be in Geneva.
Good luck! GVA is a fantastic city and you really should be there, too
Old Jun 9, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: Finnair Plus
In a couple of weeks I will do almost the same but arrive from BJS in U and connect to GOT on X (FlyBe) (both are Finnar award tickets). I have Finnair Plat.

When i arrive from KIX i normally have to go through security at once and then turn left to pass immigration. Then i only have the crappy Schengen lounge as an option Can I just turn right after security instead and walk back to the non-Schengen lounge?

Sorry I am confused about the Vantaa layout but normally i don't care since my wait is like an hour or so. This time however I have a 5 hour stay so it becomes more of an issue.

Is there a detailed map somewhere of Vantaa? The official on at the airport site is a bit crude.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Providing you're EU citizen (or have otherwise no Schengen related immigration issues, like visa, etc) you may just walk back to the non-Schengen area. If you have a biometric passport, you won't even see a border guard (and anyway they check only passports, not b/p's afaik)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.