Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Important Change to Your Fairmont President's Club Membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important Change to Your Fairmont President's Club Membership

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting conversation with a reservation agent tonight:

(after applying a suite upgrade cert etc.)
me: Too bad Accor has decided to eliminate the suite upgrade certs effective next year. Those definitely were a great feature and generated a lot of loyalty.
agent: But Le Club Accor is much better. You can now use your points to book any suite category you want, whenever you want.

The response sounded rather scripted. It still amazes me that Accor's marketing department thinks that insulting the intelligence of their top clients is a smart business strategy.
Remember, Maryam says the program is much better, so therefore it must be!

It could also be that Accor hires people who are stupid enough to actually believe that script. Remember, Accor is known around the industry for having useless Customer Service, so, as scary as it sounds, they really might be that stupid!
Jasper2009 and Nick Art like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Well they could say, now instead of calling to apply a suite upgrade and be limited to some suite categories, you can actually pay for any suite you want, when you want, as many times as you want, so this is so much better and easier...
rfrost and Brendan like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I’m not sure if I should be laughing or crying.

Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH

I love the part about Maryam getting an upgrade every single time she stays. Interestingly enough, I used to almost always get a multiple category room upgrade at check-in (example Fairmont Room -> Harbour View at Pacific Rim, Waterfront) without using a certificate, but since the merger find myself in the room I booked, because the hotel is 'fully committed'. I even called out a clueless front office manager at Pacific Rim who first said they were full, then that upgrades weren't a benefit anymore, and finally concluded it was because I was on a FPC free-night certificate, which were not eligible for Accor benefits.

Blah. I'll never get tired of saying how much I hate Le Club AccorHotels.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by SOWK
I even called out a clueless front office manager at Pacific Rim who first said they were full, then that upgrades weren't a benefit anymore, and finally concluded it was because I was on a FPC free-night certificate, which were not eligible for Accor benefits.

Blah. I'll never get tired of saying how much I hate Le Club AccorHotels.
Did you get anything better in the end?

I have found that other than the former clueless Acapulco properties, the Pacific Rim was always very challenging with upgrades, IMHO. Even when surrendering a suite upgrades I would get the smallish room with the tub. I sucked it as I liked the location, the property in many ways, and the view.

The latest changes have been challenging to book things online thru the Accor website, so i stick with calling the old FPC priority line and still getting fairly good agents.
Brendan and SOWK like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
The latest changes have been challenging to book things online thru the Accor website, so i stick with calling the old FPC priority line and still getting fairly good agents.
OMG. I wouldn't even consider using the Accor site to make a booking. In addition to being one of the slower websites I've encountered, it doesn't even display the full variety of promotions, and has a very poor way of displaying results. Fortunately, the Fairmont.com site still works for making bookings. I do my searches there, and will continue to do so.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Did you get anything better in the end?
They took care of our lobby lounge bill in lieu of the welcome drink certificates after they realized we were entitled to them. We had two drinks each, so I guess that’s something, but not worth the endless conversations with the front desk staff, IMO.

We often just stay one night, so when the evening starts by explaining elite benefits to multiple staff, I tend to get a bit annoyed, and it takes away from the short experience. Pacific Rim used to greet us at the door with keys to our (usually comp upgraded) room - now I get asked for a cc authorization and ID at the front desk. I miss the seamless experience.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:09 am

OMG. I wouldn't even consider using the Accor site to make a booking. In addition to being one of the slower websites I've encountered, it doesn't even display the full variety of promotions, and has a very poor way of displaying results. Fortunately, the Fairmont.com site still works for making bookings. I do my searches there, and will continue to do so.
I attempted to use the Accor site the other day in an effort to redeem some of my ***oh so amazing and awesome*** reward points. Fairmont website had a rate at Hotel Vancouver on Gold floor for $360 including parking. Same room on Accor - $500 without parking. Awesome.

I called Moncton and they shared a sigh with me, and said I could just book the best rate through Fairmont (of course they offered to make the booking for me) and then ask the front desk to apply the points towards the stay. This was helpful, as I previously thought Accor points could only be used booking direct with Accor BAR, which of course is rarely the best deal (if ever).

She did warn, however, that the process would be laborious at the hotel when I checked out, and she wasn’t kidding. The Gold staff had to call someone, who had to send an email with a security code, which I had to share with front desk who were then able to redeem the points. Even the Gold staff said ‘wouldn’t it make sense if we could just redeem the points ourselves?’

Their attitude towards Accor, at least from an operational perspective, was not great. But hey, at least I got 40 Euro off my room (converted at a terrible rate, btw).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SOWK

I attempted to use the Accor site the other day in an effort to redeem some of my ***oh so amazing and awesome*** reward points. Fairmont website had a rate at Hotel Vancouver on Gold floor for $360 including parking. Same room on Accor - $500 without parking. Awesome.

I called Moncton and they shared a sigh with me, and said I could just book the best rate through Fairmont (of course they offered to make the booking for me) and then ask the front desk to apply the points towards the stay. This was helpful, as I previously thought Accor points could only be used booking direct with Accor BAR, which of course is rarely the best deal (if ever).

She did warn, however, that the process would be laborious at the hotel when I checked out, and she wasn’t kidding. The Gold staff had to call someone, who had to send an email with a security code, which I had to share with front desk who were then able to redeem the points. Even the Gold staff said ‘wouldn’t it make sense if we could just redeem the points ourselves?’

Their attitude towards Accor, at least from an operational perspective, was not great. But hey, at least I got 40 Euro off my room (converted at a terrible rate, btw).
Totally agree. Redeeming the points, by receiving the text message and giving back a code seems a little stupid. Fairmont had no issues redeeming certificates from our accounts against bookings without so much red tape involved, so I don't understand why they can't do the same with points. I understand the security aspect, in that you want to make sure the debit of points is authorized by the account holder. But if the room is in my name, and I'm standing there at checkout using my credit card, and they know exactly who I am, what risk is there redeeming points from my account. The personal touch that Fairmont is known for is disappearing in the stupid processes that Accor is trying to use, and hurting the guest experience at the same time. It's not a freaking Novotel, so personalized service is expected. What's next... make hotel guests carry ID cards with RF chips and personal PIN codes to buy a meal in the restaurant?
Jasper2009 and SOWK like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Totally agree. Redeeming the points, by receiving the text message and giving back a code seems a little stupid. Fairmont had no issues redeeming certificates from our accounts against bookings without so much red tape involved, so I don't understand why they can't do the same with points. I understand the security aspect, in that you want to make sure the debit of points is authorized by the account holder. But if the room is in my name, and I'm standing there at checkout using my credit card, and they know exactly who I am, what risk is there redeeming points from my account. The personal touch that Fairmont is known for is disappearing in the stupid processes that Accor is trying to use, and hurting the guest experience at the same time. It's not a freaking Novotel, so personalized service is expected. What's next... make hotel guests carry ID cards with RF chips and personal PIN codes to buy a meal in the restaurant?
Not to mention you can't even use your points for someone else (= much lower risk of loyalty points fraud), so it's rather bizarre Accor has the most cumbersome and tedious process in the industry (I'm aware of) when it comes to redeeming points.

One could almost come to the conclusion that Accor has invested a lot of energy to make the process of redeeming points as difficult and miserable as possible.
SOWK likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:01 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
One could almost come to the conclusion that Accor has invested a lot of energy to make the process of redeeming points as difficult and miserable as possible.
That would mean they actually did something successfully and I refuse to believe that!
SOWK and Eagle_traveler like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:41 am
R2

Sometime after the transfer to the Accor programme I got the FPC vouchers visible on my Accor account page. Now I can't find them there anymore and I already feel stupid not having taken a screenshot earlier.

Anyone else had them disappear, or have they been moved to another location (although I did check every tab available)?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by R2
Sometime after the transfer to the Accor programme I got the FPC vouchers visible on my Accor account page. Now I can't find them there anymore and I already feel stupid not having taken a screenshot earlier.
Originally Posted by R2

Anyone else had them disappear, or have they been moved to another location (although I did check every tab available)?

Mine seem to have disappeared also. Looks like another IT screw up. Anything Accor ever touches, turns to total crap. At least they're consistent. Most of their hotel portfolio is crap, why shouldn't they have service and systems to match.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:46 pm

I see my vouchers at the accor website.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
SOWK #563 , at the present mid-market rate on xe.com, 40 Euros = C$59.73. What did the hotel give you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.