Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Fairmont gold

Seems Fairmont is not an active site site anymore but wanted to ask about Gold level vs. other at Fairmonts. Will be at Frontenac next spring and wondered if worth it. Used to Ritz Carlton Club levels so lets use that as comparison. Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I have not stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in many years, but I have stayed at many Fairmonts and generally find the Gold floors to be well worth the additional cost. As an added benefit, if you are staying at an older hotel (like the Frontenac), the Gold rooms are generally more current than some of the regular rooms. I have found that to be the case in the past at the Hotel Vancouver and the Chateau Laurier where some of the regular rooms had not been renovated in quite awhile.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Gold or not, I doubt you won't find any rooms at Chateau Frontenac to be outdated. The hotel underwent an extensive renovation a couple of years ago. I stayed there in August and was impressed with the results.

As for the Gold floor specifically, my last stay there was shortly before the renovation. It was a very nice lounge with great views over the river. It was large with plenty of seating and many food and drink options.

Whether it's worth it or not, is impossible to answer, since perceived value is very much a personal decision.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I would definitely like to hear from someone that's stayed in a club level Ritz Carlton room as comparison. Anyone stayed in both?

A regular room on Gold level is not that much more than other floors about $60 CAD. But at 225-250 sq ft seems rooms are small. When I move up to a Jr Ste. for non club floors it's only about $75 more. But for some reason a Jr Ste. Is $300 CAD different on the Gold level. That's what I'm really trying to figure out, if it's enough of a benefit to be on the gold level given the price increase.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I would definitely like to hear from someone that's stayed in a club level Ritz Carlton room as comparison. Anyone stayed in both?

A regular room on Gold level is not that much more than other floors about $60 CAD. But at 225-250 sq ft seems rooms are small. When I move up to a Jr Ste. for non club floors it's only about $75 more. But for some reason a Jr Ste. Is $300 CAD different on the Gold level. That's what I'm really trying to figure out, if it's enough of a benefit to be on the gold level given the price increase.
That doesn't sound right. There is normally a much larger difference than that between a "Fairmont Room" and "Fairmont Gold Room". For only $60 more, I would definitely book Gold--the free breakfast alone would pay for the upgrade. I've normally found the difference to be more in the range of $150.

Are you sure the comparison is apples-to-apples? Are all the base level Fairmont rooms sold out, and so you are effectively comparing a non-Gold Fairmont River View room to a Gold Room with a City View?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
That doesn't sound right. There is normally a much larger difference than that between a "Fairmont Room" and "Fairmont Gold Room". For only $60 more, I would definitely book Gold--the free breakfast alone would pay for the upgrade. I've normally found the difference to be more in the range of $150.

Are you sure the comparison is apples-to-apples? Are all the base level Fairmont rooms sold out, and so you are effectively comparing a non-Gold Fairmont River View room to a Gold Room with a City View?
I'm not sure about the base room view and how that compares. Info from a Virtuoso agent I use and he has not indicated that. Also because it's done through Virtuoso breakfast is included, I think in the restaurant only.

Let me ask this, what is the typical hours the gold lounge is open and what is served? Cocktails included? Good array of appetizers? When I stay at the ritz Carlton I could eat all meals there and never go out, there is that much to choose from open 7-10 with a couple hour breaks for setup of next meal.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
It is fairly hotel specific. If you give us the hotel you are thinking about, we will likely be able to help you much more.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'm not sure about the base room view and how that compares. Info from a Virtuoso agent I use and he has not indicated that. Also because it's done through Virtuoso breakfast is included, I think in the restaurant only.

Let me ask this, what is the typical hours the gold lounge is open and what is served? Cocktails included? Good array of appetizers? When I stay at the ritz Carlton I could eat all meals there and never go out, there is that much to choose from open 7-10 with a couple hour breaks for setup of next meal.
Cocktails wouldn't be included. Non-alcoholic drinks are free, but alcoholic drinks are on an honour bar system. You write your name and room number on a pad and note the alcohol you used.

Hours may vary by hotel. I've seen some that start breakfast at 6:30 AM. Evening appetizers are normally around 5:00 until 7:00 or 8:00, depending on the hotel, and normally change daily with different themes. I can't recall what the hours were at Le Chateau Frontenac. Snacks, cookies and dessert items served into the evening. Throughout the day, there are usually assorted light snacks. No full meals outside of breakfast, but I've made many full meals out of the appetizers. I'm normally out and about during lunch time, and not in the lounge.

Of course, Le Chateau Frontenac is not a place where you necessarily need breakfast included, as there are many great restaurants and cafes just a short walk from the hotel. If you found a different room rate that was cheaper but didn't include breakfast, that's another option.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all questions answered. Doesn't seem worth more than $40 US maybe a little more depending on views
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If you only consider the free breakfast, appetizers at night and free non-alcholic drinks during the day, I agree, it's probably not worth more than $80.

FWIW, a room on the Gold floor usually is ~$150/night more than a room in the same category on a non-Gold floor. And suites on the Gold floor are often $200-$300 more per night than non-Gold suites, but part of that is due to the very limited number of suites on the Gold floor.

Some travellers appreciate the better service (which generally is outstanding on the Gold floor), the ability to have a few drinks at night in a relaxed, more intimate atmosphere etc., but obviously the value proposition is very subjective.

Regarding your original question: i'd rate the average Fairmont Gold offering slightly lower than a Ritz Carlton Club offering, but higher than the club experience offered by any of the other hotel chains.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
FWIW, a room on the Gold floor usually is ~$150/night more than a room in the same category on a non-Gold floor.
In Chicago, I was surprised to find that Gold is sometimes only $20-$30 more.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Red face

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In Chicago, I was surprised to find that Gold is sometimes only $20-$30 more.
I'm a regular in Chicago and almost always book a Gold Room.

The Gold rate in Chicago is highly seasonal. Last winter, I booked several times through our corporate booking tool, Gold rooms with a special consortium rate which was very attractive and an excellent value.

The Gold Floor in Chicago is one of my favorites, mostly because of the excellent staff. ^^ I recently got a survey request from Fairmont and gave the staff 10's across the board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.