Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont - FRHI Hotels & Resorts - looking for a buyer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont - FRHI Hotels & Resorts - looking for a buyer?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Allvest
MARIOTT is doing an exceptionally lousy job with their brand confusion. I see Marriott backtracking on it in the not too distant future.
I think you are stating a bit too much opinion here. Right now Marriott is hitting it will all cylinders (to the detriment of any extra value promotions to MR customers). They have no issue with brands not mentioning Marriott prominently (like owned brands EDITION, moxy and RC or with licensees Delta, Boscolo and Protea), but have mostly gotten the rewards programs unified (or in process) for those stays.

I can see a few brands get dropped through normal attrition, but Marriott is thinking like a large consumer company (P&G/SC Johnson/Mondalez/Johnson and Johnson) who will cater to multiple audiences and use backend efficiency to cut on costs. Obviously, Hilton and to a lesser extent Starwood are doing something similar.

If you don't get that business strategy, none of this will make sense otherwise. It is one brand per segment, but there are many more segments than listed here.

Rasheed
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rasheed
I think you are stating a bit too much opinion here. Right now Marriott is hitting it will all cylinders (to the detriment of any extra value promotions to MR customers). They have no issue with brands not mentioning Marriott prominently (like owned brands EDITION, moxy and RC or with licensees Delta, Boscolo and Protea), but have mostly gotten the rewards programs unified (or in process) for those stays.

I can see a few brands get dropped through normal attrition, but Marriott is thinking like a large consumer company (P&G/SC Johnson/Mondalez/Johnson and Johnson) who will cater to multiple audiences and use backend efficiency to cut on costs. Obviously, Hilton and to a lesser extent Starwood are doing something similar.

If you don't get that business strategy, none of this will make sense otherwise. It is one brand per segment, but there are many more segments than listed here.

Rasheed
Opinion based on 2300 nights at Marriott properties. Yes.

Marriott used to be the McD of the hotel business. Consistent and predicable good service. Nowadays I have equally as many disappointments as wow moments. The disappointments tend to stick in my mind longer and I can think of no reason whatsoever for Marriott to be in the AC Hotels business at all, for instance.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:50 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

And then it wasn't.

http://www.c-mw.net/ihg-unlikely-to-pursue-fairmont-raffles-auction-opportunity/
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Great news!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
That just made my day. Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Awesome!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:10 pm
Fairmont Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The Wall Street Journal is reporting Accor is in talks now: http://www.wsj.com/articles/accor-in...rhi-1446151829

"French hotel giant Accor SA is in discussions to buy FRHI Hotels & Resorts for about $3 billion, according to people familiar with the matter...Accor is the “preferred bidder” of four finalists for FRHI and could announce a deal as early as next month, though no agreement has been reached yet and could fall through, according to a person familiar with the sales process."
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PJLukasik
The Wall Street Journal is reporting Accor is in talks now: http://www.wsj.com/articles/accor-in...rhi-1446151829

"French hotel giant Accor SA is in discussions to buy FRHI Hotels & Resorts for about $3 billion, according to people familiar with the matter...Accor is the “preferred bidder” of four finalists for FRHI and could announce a deal as early as next month, though no agreement has been reached yet and could fall through, according to a person familiar with the sales process."
That's the worst case scenario. Accor is disgusting.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Wouldn't that be most of their properties? I didn't think that Fairmont owned very many of the properties at all they manage today, unlike in the days before CP Hotels bought Fairmont. And if the current owners of the individual properties are free to change management companies (and I assume they are, subject to some exit clause in their contract), I don't imagine very many of them wanting their high profile properties associated with IHG.
Most of these hotel management companies are moving more and more towards asset-light strategy where they focus mostly on management, marketing/branding and loyalty programs, while the assets are owned by wealth funds, reits, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:18 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
That's the worst case scenario. Accor is disgusting.
A rather sweeping statement. Personally I think they would be a very good match.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by PJLukasik

Who might be the two yet unknown finalists - Hilton, Marriott, or Chinese?

Just curious. I like to stay at The Savoy, my link to Fairmont.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by submonte
Who might be the two yet unknown finalists - Hilton, Marriott, or Chinese?

Just curious. I like to stay at The Savoy, my link to Fairmont.
Marriott purchased Delta Hotels. Fairmont wouldn't be a stretch. Marriott seems to be happy to add a brand a week to confuse themselves about their service level expectations.

Does anyone think the Plaza or Vier Jahreszeiten or Savoy would stay part of Accor or Marriott?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Marriott purchased Delta Hotels. Fairmont wouldn't be a stretch. Marriott seems to be happy to add a brand a week to confuse themselves about their service level expectations.

Does anyone think the Plaza or Vier Jahreszeiten or Savoy would stay part of Accor or Marriott?
Hard to tell. It probably very much depends on the management contracts the properties signed.

But I fully agree...there's close to zero overlap between Fairmont and IHG/Accor/Marriott in terms of branding / loyalty / service standards etc.

I'd be very happy if Fairmont wasn't purchased by anyone and maintained their impressive service standards and growth / expansion strategy.

If it were to merge, I'd be in favour of a Four Seasons / Fairmont merger, or possible a Hyatt / Fairmont merger.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Hard to tell. It probably very much depends on the management contracts the properties signed.

But I fully agree...there's close to zero overlap between Fairmont and IHG/Accor/Marriott in terms of branding / loyalty / service standards etc.

I'd be very happy if Fairmont wasn't purchased by anyone and maintained their impressive service standards and growth / expansion strategy.

If it were to merge, I'd be in favour of a Four Seasons / Fairmont merger, or possible a Hyatt / Fairmont merger.
Fully agree!

To have Fairmont part of the same group of hotels that includes the ibis brand, which is more like a youth hostel than a hotel, can't turn out to be a good thing.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
As a Ritz Platinum and a Fairmont Platinum, I would disagree with you in one area.

Ritz Carlton's (Marriott) and Fairmont properties have many commonalities.

If all Fairmont's were re-branded as RC's, I do not think that would be the worst thing in the world (and better than some of the other possibilities that have been mentioned in this thread).

From the tone of the articles ('auction'), it does seem as if the current owners are intent to sell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.