Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont - FRHI Hotels & Resorts - looking for a buyer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont - FRHI Hotels & Resorts - looking for a buyer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That statement I support 100%.
Same here. If they end up in any way shape or form involved with Fairmont, then as they say on Dragons Den/Shark Tank...."i'm out"
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Same here. If they end up in any way shape or form involved with Fairmont, then as they say on Dragons Den/Shark Tank...."i'm out"
Except for the fact that Platinum status at IHG (and even more for Royal Ambassador status at ICs) is much more difficult to get than Platinum status at Faimont hotels, I am not quite sure that you would lose anything with InterContinental hotels.

Their worldwide coverage is much better, and yes, most of properties in Asia, Oceania and Europe are very nice:
http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...l-directory_ic
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Except for the fact that Platinum status at IHG (and even more for Royal Ambassador status at ICs) is much more difficult to get than Platinum status at Faimont hotels, I am not quite sure that you would lose anything with InterContinental hotels.

Their worldwide coverage is much better, and yes, most of properties in Asia, Oceania and Europe are very nice:
Last I checked (a while ago) one could buy status there, no? Either way I have been to too many IHG properties now to know I HATE them.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Last I checked (a while ago) one could buy status there, no?
Spire at IHG Rewards or Royal Ambassador levels cannot be bought.

Either way I have been to too many IHG properties now to know I HATE them.
What InterContinental hotels have you stayed at?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nicolas75

Whether or not earning Platinum status at IHG is easier is debatable, but it doesn't really matter since the status is utterly useless (as is the new Spire status). I'd even say that FPC Premier status offers much more value than the new "Spire" status.

RA treatment can be very good or very poor, it hugely depends on the property (consistency is one of the major issues with IHG), in theory there are two benefits which are nice:
1. the free minibar (but it officially doesn't apply when using points; and some hotels take out >50% of the items to create a "special RA minibar").
2. when there are various hotels which have 15+ room categories, a 2-category upgrade is almost meaningless (to be fair, some ICs treat RAs very well, but it's very inconsistent)

You're of course right about IC's better coverage. Are some of the ICs outside NA "very nice"? Maybe. I tend to think of most ICs as "(very) nice, upscale, fairly generic business hotels", but the vast majority of ICs hardly get me excited / would qualify as "landmark" hotels which are special in any way.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:11 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Can't see IHG upgrading me to a Churchill or Frontenac Suite at the Chateau Frontenac from a standard room. That is what I love about FPC, I never expect it but you get some fantabulous rooms sometimes by using certs. The 200$ (if you choose that plat amenity) dining credit is quite nice as well.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Can't see IHG upgrading me to a Churchill or Frontenac Suite at the Chateau Frontenac from a standard room. That is what I love about FPC, I never expect it but you get some fantabulous rooms sometimes by using certs.
But with IHG you can expect an upgrade from the standard room on the 1st floor overlooking the dumpster to a better standard room on the 2nd floor overlooking the parking lot - on each and every stay, because your loyalty is much appreciated!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:47 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I think the article(s) are pure bunk. I will have to find the article, but I understood the direction of the Saudi prince to be that of merging with his other company Four Seasons, or taking them both public.

If anything happens it will be a new group of people at the top of the holding company but nothing will change at the Fairmont/Raffles operations level.

With new Fairmonts/Swiss in the chute and the recent rebranding of FRHI and Fairmont, they are continuing to establish their brand and make inroads in new markets.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The potential sale of FRHI came up a while before IHG's name arose in recent days and from no less an source than WSJ in this article. Hardly seems like bunk to me given the number of times sources are quoted as saying the chain is up for sale.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:43 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tcook052
The potential sale of FRHI came up a while before IHG's name arose in recent days and from no less an source than WSJ in this article. Hardly seems like bunk to me given the number of times sources are quoted as saying the chain is up for sale.
The WSJ article says nothing of IHG. I don't doubt the holding company is up for sale, that sort of think happens often. In 2006 the Prince and Colony Capital bought the group for $3.9B. These articles fail to mention the partner Colony Capital who owns a large chunk of FRHI as well.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
The WSJ article says nothing of IHG.
Of course it doesn't and that's because it's from 23rd June but shows the intent to sell FRHI long before IHG's name ever came up.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I would not be surprised if a Blackstone (Hilton) or Marriott family entered the mix even though they already have WA and RC.

Right now, it has been a brand explosion in the chains trying to create way too many identities.

The only reason Marriott may have to step back is because of the Delta transaction and having taken another Canadian based partner already, but I know the winter ski footprint does not represent the entire portfolio.

Rasheed
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

IHG buying Fairmont?

Rumor has it that IHG is the winning bidder for Fairmont group.

Another FTer emailed me this link

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/09...and-swissotel/
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I consider some of the comments there to be uninformed and unfair. There are some very top end Raffles properties in cities other than Singapore (for example, Beijing) that are considered to be among the top hotels in their markets with established reputations as iconic hotels. Moreover, Fairmont owns most or all of the former Canadian railway hotels, such as Quebec City and Lake Louise. These are world renowned iconic properties, although some are too big to be true luxury and do tend (discretely) to take tour groups.

I've had great experiences at Raffles Singapore as well as some of their other properties. Some people view it as a tourist trap, but IMO it's a unique special property that has always treated me very well. Every room is different, staff remember me, I love their pool and gardens (especially the Palm Court), F&B are good if you avoid the Long Bar, it's a quiet and civilized almost resort-like refuge in the middle of a busy city,........I'll be very upset if these aspects change.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:04 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I consider some of the comments there to be uninformed and unfair. There are some very top end Raffles properties in cities other than Singapore (for example, Beijing) that are considered to be among the top hotels in their markets with established reputations as iconic hotels. Moreover, Fairmont owns most or all of the former Canadian railway hotels, such as Quebec City and Lake Louise. These are world renowned iconic properties, although some are too big to be true luxury and do tend (discretely) to take tour groups.

I've had great experiences at Raffles Singapore as well as some of their other properties. Some people view it as a tourist trap, but IMO it's a unique special property that has always treated me very well. Every room is different, staff remember me, I love their pool and gardens (especially the Palm Court), F&B are good if you avoid the Long Bar, it's a quiet and civilized almost resort-like refuge in the middle of a busy city,........I'll be very upset if these aspects change.
Your comments about Raffles resonate with me - as I sit here in my suite at raffles typing this .

I didn’t expect much but to be fair I am somewhat impressed. The pool is a quiet oasis, the suite is comfortable & spacious. Breakfast this morning was excellent & all is well in the world (well, in my world at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.