Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newly Platinum, and somewhat disillusioned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Singapore has 1 Fairmont, 2 Swissotels, 1 Raffles.
Thailand has 2 Swiss
Cambodia has 2 Raffles
Manila has 1 Fairmont 1 Raffles
India has 1 Fairmont 2 Swiss
Indonesia - Jakarta opens in 6 months Bali will open in 2015
PRC has 10, with 5 under construction
Japan has 1 Swissotel.

For Asia this is 23 Open with 7+ coming online in the next 12-24 months.
This excludes Turkey, Russia, Azerbaijan, and Australia

I do agree Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Vietnam are GLARING holes.
I didn't think you could use FPC benefits in Raffles or Swiss properties, though I know you can accumulate.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by grumbler
I didn't think you could use FPC benefits in Raffles or Swiss properties, though I know you can accumulate.
Thatīs generally correct. FPC Premier and Platinum members get a very limited amount of benefits when staying at Swissotel and Raffles properties and can receive stay credit for some stays, but overall thereīs hardly an incentive to stay at those brands.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:12 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thatīs generally correct. FPC Premier and Platinum members get a very limited amount of benefits when staying at Swissotel and Raffles properties and can receive stay credit for some stays, but overall thereīs hardly an incentive to stay at those brands.
While it remains to be seen, I suspect under recent FRHI rebrand, they will bring their loyalty programs closer together in the near future.

And Swissotel is Osaka (Not Tokyo)

Swiss has some off outliers. Osaka, Chicago, Sydney
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Very much enjoy the FPC programme - have used suite, free night and room upgrades pretty much whenever and wherever. Hotels have bent over backwards to accomodate these requests even when FPC showed no availability in Fairmont rooms.

I don't blindly stay with any hotel chain or brand - I pick the best hotel I can wherever I go. In Vancouver, that is Fairmont Pacific Rim and they've been more than generous with benefits.

I just returned from a free night at Fairmont The Palm in Dubai which was amazing (their house water is Voss). They even put a FPC you've arrived welcome card on my table at the restaurant. I've never been denied a late checkout at any Fairmont.

I do agree though that there aren't too many aspirational type thresholds for those who stay a large number of nights. However, variety is the spice of life so for me Fairmont is interspersed with FS, MO, Aman and whatever else comes along...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by grumbler
All of this factors into how effective a loyalty program is - especially one that focuses on free nights as an important benefit.
The FPC program is not generous on free nights. But seeing other hotel loyalty programs, and how free nights are dumbed down, I'm glad Fairmont doesn't give out too many free nights. The one free night we receive with Fairmont is upgradeable which is good. But if you're looking for a program for free nights, all other loyalty programs have FPC beat.

Priority Club points break (weak on # of properties valid) is the best free night program special feature out there. Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott.. all have better free night earnings.

Fairmont was good on the suite upgrades, but since going to the online cert format, deduction of certificates this year has been to the T, with the exception of a very few instances this past year. FPC is still a good program, and traditional qualification works, as the unadvertised early qualification helps a new member with additional certificates. Continued traditional FPC qualification the year after early qualification is difficult, so I would recommend signing up the spouse, and rotating FPC profiles back and forth.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by MKB
The call I made lasted about 10 minutes, so certainly not quick. I didn't know they had a toll-free number. The one I used was only toll-free for North Americans. Starwood used to have an international toll-free number, so I know they exist. What's the Fairmont one?
i use ratebuster- at 1p per minute - to make all my calls to fairmount - not too expensive
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Also i agree there are only 4 fairmounts in europe and its difficult to keep up platinum. Monte carlo give a lovey upgrade with the suite certificate for 5 nights, we love it there, right by cafe de paris in the cetre. If you use your room upgrade AND suite upgrade together they sometimes upgrade you to seaview which is lovely in the summer. great rooftop pool too!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
Also i agree there are only 4 fairmounts in europe and its difficult to keep up platinum. Monte carlo give a lovey upgrade with the suite certificate for 5 nights, we love it there, right by cafe de paris in the cetre. If you use your room upgrade AND suite upgrade together they sometimes upgrade you to seaview which is lovely in the summer. great rooftop pool too!
I agree there aren't very many Fairmont's in Europe, but isn't there more than four? I can think of St. Andrews, The Savoy, Montreux, Monte Carlo, Hamburg and Kiev.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, if you rarely travel to North America, earning FPC Platinum status isnīt an obvious choice. Once you have status, you also receive credit for stays at Raffles and Swissotel properties - there are quite a few of those in Europe.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I agree there aren't very many Fairmont's in Europe, but isn't there more than four? I can think of St. Andrews, The Savoy, Montreux, Monte Carlo, Hamburg and Kiev.
You indeed listed all the Fairmont properties in Europe. Fairmont also lists Baku as Europe, though of course technically itīs in Asia.

Also, most of the Fairmont properties that do exist arenīt in a very convenient location (St. Andrews, Monte Carlo and Montreux arenīt exactly close to any major or at least secondary airport).

The Savoy hardly honors any Premier/Platinum benefits, so there isnīt a huge incentive to stay there.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
St.Andrews and Montreux Palace are good hotels to use suite upgrades as well. Hamburg gives a nice suite, but lists occupancy as 2. But I've never inquired to see if the kids need to be in a separate room.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
At. Andrews and Montreux Palace are good hotels to use suite upgrades as well. Hamburg gives a nice suite, but lists occupancy as 2. But I've never inquired to see if the kids need to be in a separate room.
I can very much recommend the Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg. Afaik they allow a third person in the room (not sure about a 4 guests), though they usually charge a fee for a rollaway bed.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:01 am
Suspended

I can very much recommend the Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg. Afaik they allow a third person in the room (not sure about a 4 guests), though they usually charge a fee for a rollaway bed.
We tried to make it out there last year but it was an 8 hour drive. Plus I'm a purveyor of Hamburg Steinways.. so wanted to check out the factory.

I assumed you stayed there and familiar with the property? Will have to try the following summer when we head out to Europe again.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We tried to make it out there last year but it was an 8 hour drive. Plus I'm a purveyor of Hamburg Steinways.. so wanted to check out the factory.

I assumed you stayed there and familiar with the property? Will have to try the following summer when we head out to Europe again.
The hotel is ~20min from the airport. If you donīt want to fly to HAM, DUS is a good compromise (several flights to NA each day, very pleasant airport and only ~4h to HAM by car/train)

Yes, Iīve stayed at Fairmont Vier Jahreszeiten ~4 times and always had a great time: The Lakeview suites are very nice, location couldnīt be any better and service was excellent (though you should be aware that the atmosphere is much more formal than at most Fairmonts - probably closer to the Savoy). Also, the breakfast buffet is the best Iīve had at any Fairmont. IIRC I posted a more detailed review in the master thread.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:08 pm
Suspended

The hotel is ~20min from the airport. If you donīt want to fly to HAM, DUS is a good compromise (several flights to NA each day, very pleasant airport and only ~4h to HAM by car/train)

Yes, Iīve stayed at Fairmont Vier Jahreszeiten ~4 times and always had a great time: The Lakeview suites are very nice, location couldnīt be any better and service was excellent (though you should be aware that the atmosphere is much more formal than at most Fairmonts - probably closer to the Savoy). Also, the breakfast buffet is the best Iīve had at any Fairmont. IIRC I posted a more detailed review in the master thread.
The Savoy's breakfast is a la carte, and our most expensive breakfast. The best breakfast buffet is the Mayakoba, as well as the best fine food( 2-4 Diamond restaurants).

The lakeview suite caught my attention in Hamburg. It was a low lying fruit I was hoping to take advantage of. The draw was the Autobahn to visit, but we had the pleasure kicking into year in Austria on the way to and for Salzburg. We would have needed between 3 to 5 nights, and the rates were more than reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.