Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points from the Pacific [split off from OMaaT]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Home schooling?
No, it was more along the lines of he felt school was constraining him to mileage running only on weekends so he decided to withdraw. I remember seeing it in a blog post sometime last year I think?
Old May 23, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by B747-437B
No, it was more along the lines of he felt school was constraining him to mileage running only on weekends so he decided to withdraw. I remember seeing it in a blog post sometime last year I think?
Sorry, that's an unhealthy obsession. He is not old enough, emotionally or chronologically to make that decision. Male teens decision making is not usually the best.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I remember seeing it in a blog post sometime last year I think?
http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding...-miles-points/
Old May 23, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Sorry, that's an unhealthy obsession. He is not old enough, emotionally or chronologically to make that decision. Male teens decision making is not usually the best.
Nowadays people on the internet are so full of ****. They will never tell you the real story. There is a rapper named Bow Wow who took a photo of a private jet and then later was caught flying commercial the same day. I'm not sure what the laws are like in Australia, but I would gather this kid didn't just stop taking classes.

He write as if his parents have money. Maybe not rich, but wealthy. Enough to allow him to buy miles, fly, pay for food, etc... We live in an age where people under 25 want to quit their jobs, become YouTube famous, and get paid to be an influencer and be the envy of their peers. They get by with smoke and mirrors. I think we all know that Ben has been guilty of that. If that's the road the kid wants to lead we can only blame his parents and the people who sell him on this dream.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Dear God. That's one of the saddest, most pathetic things I've ever read.

SMH.

Old May 24, 2017, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
We live in an age where people under 25 want to quit their jobs, become YouTube famous, and get paid to be an influencer and be the envy of their peers. They get by with smoke and mirrors. I think we all know that Ben has been guilty of that. If that's the road the kid wants to lead we can only blame his parents and the people who sell him on this dream.
I think the comparisons with Ben are inevitable, but not necessarily accurate.

For all the "smoke and mirrors" surrounding Ben right now, he actually has a college degree and his primary income source is not his blog/media work but rather his "award booking" travel agency services. Certainly the business benefits from Ben's media visibility, but there is an actual business providing services which could theoretically continue to operate if Ben's media presence were to be scaled back.

I'm the last person to criticise a young adult for making unorthodox career choices, but this person neither comes across as an adult nor does his choice come across as a career. I wish him well and hope he doesn't regret this choice in a few years time when it may be too late.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
And female teen decision making isn't much better, as I've discovered with our daughter

It seems that Queensland law permits quitting school at age 16 or after completing Grade 10, but it seems that one has to continue with some sort of "educational" options outside of formal school until 17. Still seems pretty young.

http://www.lawstuff.org.au/qld_law/t...i-leave-school

He isn't very clear as to the exact timing or nature of his quitting school. I don't know, does having just your Grade 10 in Australia meet the minimum standards that most employers would want just for basic jobs, similar to a HS diploma or GED in the US?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Dear God. That's one of the saddest, most pathetic things I've ever read.

SMH.
[/url]
Especially bits like:

When I first left, I wasn’t sure what to do. I applied for some travel courses and started them. Some were good some were. It was at this time where I first emailed Ben from One Mile At a Time. To me, Ben is like a celebrity, one of the coolest people I’ve ever met. I would read his posts all the time, and I thought I should start using miles and points to travel.
(We really need a "vomit" emoji on FT.) I think this kid needs to get out more...and I don't mean reviewing more premium airline cabin flights.

Reading the above post, paints a different picture in my mind than some scrappy kid who worked his butt off to save for the Residence. He doesn't describe any sort of after-school job. The amount of airline travel he describes plus taking flying lessons, mean his parents had to have been funding most or all of this.

I forgot to quote Astrophsx above about so many in the younger crew ending up as posers because they see success as these internet-famous "influencers" and such, but it's spot on.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:34 am

I think the comparisons with Ben are inevitable, but not necessarily accurate.

For all the "smoke and mirrors" surrounding Ben right now, he actually has a college degree and his primary income source is not his blog/media work but rather his "award booking" travel agency services. Certainly the business benefits from Ben's media visibility, but there is an actual business providing services which could theoretically continue to operate if Ben's media presence were to be scaled back.

I'm the last person to criticise a young adult for making unorthodox career choices, but this person neither comes across as an adult nor does his choice come across as a career. I wish him well and hope he doesn't regret this choice in a few years time when it may be too late.
Smoke and mirrors is more of a reference to social media influencers, but one could potentially apply it to Ben as he's allowed many media outlets to promote this idea that he travels for next to nothing or for free. It's smoke and mirrors. If you pay to live full time in a hotel in order to obtain points to travel on... that's not traveling for next to nothing. If you purchase miles instead of churning credit cards or obtain them through MS... that's not traveling next to nothing. Then you have the fact that his early career was supported by fraud and not so ethical decisions.

I also don't know if you really need a degree in order to do what Ben does. You might have to defend that argument. Seems like a lot of what he learned business wise might have come with a lot of mistakes and maybe getting mentored by others in the industry.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Especially bits like:
The whole thing, really. But especially that bit.

His hero is someone who whose goal was to live a traveling consultant lifestyle without any consulting.

He's a shell of a shell of a traveler.

And the worst part is that by the time his prefrontal cortex kicks in it will be too late.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
His hero is someone who whose goal was to live a traveling consultant lifestyle without any consulting.
I would have said a new age credit card salesman. A lot nicer than working at a tiny kiosk in the mall though!
Old May 24, 2017, 6:39 pm

The issue I have with the kid is he isn't honest in his writings and it is evident.

See this post:

http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding...ntas-platinum/

he says he has had Platinum for a number of years. - he had it for 15 months..

he also claimed he received an email from Alan Joyce congratulating him on being the youngest platinum. I know many people who's younger kids were platinum before 15. I also saw the email and no way was it written by AJ or even his secretary - it was clearly a fake.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by nlagalle
The issue I have with the kid is he isn't honest in his writings and it is evident.

See this post:

http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding...ntas-platinum/

he says he has had Platinum for a number of years. - he had it for 15 months..

he also claimed he received an email from Alan Joyce congratulating him on being the youngest platinum. I know many people who's younger kids were platinum before 15. I also saw the email and no way was it written by AJ or even his secretary - it was clearly a fake.
Exaggerating won't do him much good in the long run, that's for sure. The lack of substance behind the facade will come out eventually.

The kid should have paid better attention in school. His grammar, format, and punctuation errors almost make Renes Points look good.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:53 am

someone called him out on his story in the comments section.

http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding.../#comment-1643
Old May 25, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by nlagalle
someone called him out on his story in the comments section.

http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding.../#comment-1643
Looks like that post has now gone down the memory hole! I'm getting a page not found error.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For all the "smoke and mirrors" surrounding Ben right now, he actually has a college degree and his primary income source is not his blog/media work but rather his "award booking" travel agency services.
I'd be surprised if award bookings are more lucrative that CC referrals at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.