FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points from the Pacific [split off from OMaaT]
Old May 24, 2017, 7:43 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
Sorry, that's an unhealthy obsession. He is not old enough, emotionally or chronologically to make that decision. Male teens decision making is not usually the best.
And female teen decision making isn't much better, as I've discovered with our daughter

It seems that Queensland law permits quitting school at age 16 or after completing Grade 10, but it seems that one has to continue with some sort of "educational" options outside of formal school until 17. Still seems pretty young.

http://www.lawstuff.org.au/qld_law/t...i-leave-school

He isn't very clear as to the exact timing or nature of his quitting school. I don't know, does having just your Grade 10 in Australia meet the minimum standards that most employers would want just for basic jobs, similar to a HS diploma or GED in the US?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Dear God. That's one of the saddest, most pathetic things I've ever read.

SMH.
[/url]
Especially bits like:

When I first left, I wasn’t sure what to do. I applied for some travel courses and started them. Some were good some were. It was at this time where I first emailed Ben from One Mile At a Time. To me, Ben is like a celebrity, one of the coolest people I’ve ever met. I would read his posts all the time, and I thought I should start using miles and points to travel.
(We really need a "vomit" emoji on FT.) I think this kid needs to get out more...and I don't mean reviewing more premium airline cabin flights.

Reading the above post, paints a different picture in my mind than some scrappy kid who worked his butt off to save for the Residence. He doesn't describe any sort of after-school job. The amount of airline travel he describes plus taking flying lessons, mean his parents had to have been funding most or all of this.

I forgot to quote Astrophsx above about so many in the younger crew ending up as posers because they see success as these internet-famous "influencers" and such, but it's spot on.