8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2017.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is in post # 2 (Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate). Host hotel is SOLD OUT.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7

The Elk Grove Village Holiday Inn (+1-847-437-6010) shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Print Wikipost

8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Just received the event email 30 minutes ago. Is the hotel already sold out? I'm showing no availability when using the above link from a desktop/laptop.

-FlyerBeek

I had trouble with Holiday Inn link too at first. Can't recall what I did to get it to work for me though (but it finally did), as the link does populate with the proper code. I just now tried via Chrome Incognito too so that it would forget my preferences, and still no (mock) success.

Maybe as alternative just call the Elk Grove Village location and have them book it? Code that populates on their site for this seminar for the troubled online room booking is "CHI".

P.S. Just an attendee here, not one of the speakers.

edit: Just correcting in this post the code that populates in post #2 Holiday Inn link. It's "CHI" and not "CHIC".

Last edited by dmat; Apr 18, 2017 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Originally Posted by thehowieee
Got any worthy suggestions? We haven't decided yet.
Re: charity selection, maybe something that touches on our common interest of seeing / reaching areas throughout the world? Something like Doctors Without Borders or similar...as long as whatever you choose checks out on Guidestar + Charity Navigator as being efficient in what they do with their donations.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by dmat
Maybe as alternative just call the Elk Grove Village location and have them book it? Code that populates on their site for this seminar for the troubled online room booking is "CHIC".
Yes, good suggestion. ^. I called the hotel, was transferred to a central reservations line who confirmed rooms were still available for the group but they were also unable to book it initially. They called over to the hotel and were able to get some rooms reallocated in their system. Not sure if that will fix the online booking issue, but at least I was able to get a reservation confirmed over the phone.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Can someone tell me if i charge my registration fee to Barclays Arrival card will it be coded as travel?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:04 pm

I called after not having success online booking the hotel, and still couldn't get a room. Any tricks to getting it to go through?

Edit: Both group reservations and the hotel directly said the hotel was sold out.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by livinginlilliput
I called after not having success online booking the hotel, and still couldn't get a room. Any tricks to getting it to go through?

Edit: Both group reservations and the hotel directly said the hotel was sold out.

Doesn't mean the hotel is actually booked up / sold out. That probably means that all the rooms are taken / blocked out by Howie & Crew / Chicago Seminars.

I'm sure the powers-that-be here will comment later tonight as to whether the HI is truly booked up already, or whether the link/code is acting up.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Doesn't mean the hotel is actually booked up / sold out. That probably means that all the rooms are taken / blocked out by Howie & Crew / Chicago Seminars.

I'm sure the powers-that-be here will comment later tonight as to whether the HI is truly booked up already, or whether the link/code is acting up.
I could be mistaken (I'm not involved with organizing this event), but I believe we've got the entire hotel blocked for the Seminars. At least that's what I seem to remember Howie saying last year.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
The host hotel is sold out. While yes there are some rooms I have blocked (for speakers and sponsors) as of now there is no other availability.

The booking link is working correctly.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slicktraveler
Can someone tell me if i charge my registration fee to Barclays Arrival card will it be coded as travel?
HIGHLY unlikely. Payment is processed by Eventbrite through PayPal and we're not set up as a travel provider.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Re: charity selection, maybe something that touches on our common interest of seeing / reaching areas throughout the world? Something like Doctors Without Borders or similar...as long as whatever you choose checks out on Guidestar + Charity Navigator as being efficient in what they do with their donations.
Yup, exactly. Charity Navigator is good stuff. And as for charities that is our goal -- something that relates to us.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I like Doctors Without Borders - very international, which we are also.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

Holiday Inn shows full, back up hotel?

Originally Posted by thehowieee
Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village

Please complete your registration from a desktop/laptop. Mobile booking doesn't work properly with the link.
First time coming to a seminar, the Holiday Inn link I used to try to make a ressie showed no rooms. Do you have a back up hotel?
Thanks
Ricecakes
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Ricecakes
First time coming to a seminar, the Holiday Inn link I used to try to make a ressie showed no rooms. Do you have a back up hotel?
Thanks
Ricecakes
Yes there's a back-up hotel. Or there has been every single year. Howie probably needs to update post #2 with that information.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ricecakes
Thanks
Ricecakes
working on a backup -- but nothing yet. It has become increasingly difficult to get an overflow hotel. My suggestion for now is to book a room at a nearby property that is refundable for now so you can secure something and when we have an overflow I'll post it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:32 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton Elk Grove last year and it was a decent option. If you have the SPG Biz card, you'll have access to the Club Lounge (i.e. free breakfast).

It's less than 10 minutes away and costs under $8 for an Uber. The Sheraton's also category 2, so only costs you 3k Starpoints per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.