The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Benét J. Wilson Joins The Points Guy’s Credit Cards Team
Finally, we’ll see some credit card content on TPG.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Another former journalist sells out https://thepointsguy.com/news/benet-...-credit-cards/
I hope the Online News Association and Mercer University’s Center for Collaborative Journalism ask for her resignation.
Joins Scott Mayerowitz and others in the "I used to believe in journalism but a paycheck >>>> integrity."
Benét will serve as deputy to Senior Credit Cards Editor Sarah Silbert.
Good Lord, how many layers of organizational structure do you need to pimp credit cards?!
Old May 7, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by kpottermn
Finally, we’ll see some credit card content on TPG.
That is FUNNY!

The only comment on that blog post introducing the cc writer says:

>>>>>>>>>>>I look forward to her thoughtful articles on why everyone should get the CSP.

LOL
Old May 7, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Was shocked to see them cover the JetBlue cards (no sales commission)!

Of course the whole post did not contain a link to get the cards with the offers they blogged about....you know, maybe make it convenient to their readers to apply for the cards?

I guess non paying direct cc links are not allowed...Maybe they do it so the writers can feel better about themselves...smh.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I bet they were still paid, just not via referrals. I highly doubt that they wrote that out of the kindness of their own hearts.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Tiffany did say in the comments to a OMAAT article recently that their affiliate agreements with some banks specifically block them from linking to non-affiliate offers from that institution.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Raffles
Tiffany did say in the comments to a OMAAT article recently that their affiliate agreements with some banks specifically block them from linking to non-affiliate offers from that institution.
Which is super customer friendly...
84fiero, Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:26 am

And clearly has their readers' best interest in mind

</s>
kokonutz and 84fiero like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Brian Cohen takes a not-so-thinly-veiled swipe at TPG:

I decided long ago not to promote credit cards because I felt that pronouncing how you can “travel for free” is disingenuous at best. Travel is not free. Travel has never been completely free in terms of cost — even in the best of times and in the “good old days.” Although it may not be you, someone is paying for that “free” travel.

Even worse are the stories of readers of those articles who decided to take the plunge and acquire those credit cards — giving the writer of the article a nice commission for selling the product — only to earn those tens of thousands of points but paying far more in interest payments than the cost of those points or of the “free” travel in the first place. I did not want to be associated with that chain of shared irresponsibility. If I ever decide to promote credit cards in the future, I plan on including a clear disclaimer pertaining to financial responsibility and culpability — which to me is not really all that much different from articles which promote gambling or drinking. I likely left a lot of money on the table over the years as the result of my decision; but at least I can put my head to my pillow at night and sleep soundly.

The main reason why I have not promoted credit cards for a commission is because I did not want any outside entity to affect or control the editorial content of The Gate for the sake of money — and thus forsaking you as a reader who seeks information. Although I have committed errors along the way — as any normal human being would do in the span of almost 13 years — I have strived to gain and earn what I believe is one of the most important things I can receive from you: trust.
I do not want to simply parrot the euphemistic musings of public relations departments and disguise them as articles here at The Gate. That is not my job. I hold myself accountable to you — not to corporate entities. If I see something with which I disagree or if there is something which might potentially affect you negatively, I strive to include that in the articles I write — not to bad-mouth them; but rather that I provide information for them to improve the products and services which they offer to you.

The good companies understand my philosophy and continue to work with me; the not-so-good companies disassociate themselves from me, take their toys, and go home.
https://thegate.boardingarea.com/edi...-are-reported/
Old May 12, 2019, 6:10 am

Just a second after I posted the previous comment...I checked Feedly...and there it was:

"Why You Should Get the Amex Platinum" by The Points Guy

smh
Old May 12, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Deleted
Old May 12, 2019, 12:33 pm

It's almost amazing how they try to shoehorn "content" into an ad.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/reason...apple-airpods/

Also dear Zach, pieces like this are why you're no longer a "journalist" like you claim to be, although with the current journalism standards at an abysmal all time low and continuing to fall, you might actually get back there eventually.

Last edited by diburning; May 12, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The need to churn out blathering content is getting to them.
Today's highly relevant post: "What You Need to Know if You’re Traveling to Israel During a Missile Attack" . Apparently the author used a thesaurus
84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:24 pm

You apparently missed the gripping:

"Should You Consider Flying to Europe for Better Sunscreens?"

The answer was most likely yes and it involved several credit card sales lol.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning

Also dear Zach, pieces like this are why you're no longer a "journalist" like you claim to be, although with the current journalism standards at an abysmal all time low and continuing to fall, you might actually get back there eventually.
Zach is not a journalist. He should be ashamed and embarrassed to associate himself with journalism. Sponsored content, yes.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.