Search

I give to you: The Luxury Travel Plagiarist

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I give to you: The Luxury Travel Plagiarist

I figured the FT Smack Talk forum was the correct place for this.

It seems this FT member tends to pirate ad copy for his content on his blog and newsletter.

http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...alace-beijing/

http://www.differentplanet.com/Trave...ublication.pdf

"Just steps from the East Gate of the Summer Palace grounds and only 15 km from the Forbidden City, lies Aman at Summer Palace – the ideal location from which to discover Beijing. The ultra-luxurious resort is a serene retreat, with peaceful internal courtyards and pavilions embracing traditional Chinese architecture. The property provides easy access to cultural landmarks as the Great Wall, The Temple of Heaven and the hutongs, as well as Beijing’s restaurants, art galleries and other contemporary delights."

Further discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24753718-post38.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...hong-kong.html

Now this person's decided to haunt comment threads at some of the usual suspects (Lucky)...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 4, 2015 at 11:59 am Reason: Fix that link...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Interesting. I happened to see one of his FT TRs recently, was surprised about certain aspects of that thread, both the OP and the various responses, which I can't elaborate on due to FT rules. I wonder what his blog readership level is.

Something wasn't working in your OMAAT link, see if this works:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...regis-beijing/

What I find laughable is that in the OMAAT comments Jan starts out (twice) "Thx for the review Luke..." Maybe just a typo but I wonder if he just does a copy-and-paste of the same comments into any blog he finds with a TR on one of the cities he has a "report" on, and forgot to change the greeting to the new name.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, he DOES have a newsletter...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I still love how loyaltylobby.com changed the spelling in a well edited listing of hotel deals and found that Gary Leff had copied it.

Hope the bloggers keep each other honest with more Easter eggs, etc.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Some punk stole not only 2 of my pictures but 5 paragraphs of my copy for his Singapore Suites trip report that went super-viral last October. I emailed him, he did nothing, so I started filing DMCA takedowns against every newspaper I could find hosting his article.

He finally changed the wording of my paragraphs enough where I probably can't go after him anymore, but he still knows that those paragraphs are mine. And he knows there's one bit in that article that he stole from me that I didn't complain about and still exists to this day in its plagiarized form, should he ever try to do anything else with it.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I still love how loyaltylobby.com changed the spelling in a well edited listing of hotel deals and found that Gary Leff had copied it.

Hope the bloggers keep each other honest with more Easter eggs, etc.
What would you have done in that scenario?

IHG releases a list of hotels which is not formatted. The quickest blogger on the ball adds the necessary line breaks etc.

Do you seriously expect other bloggers to do the same formatting when they could cut and paste? If a blogger was crazy enough to 'do the right thing' and spend 30 minutes reinventing the wheel, no-one would even know because the list would be the same as the one everyone else published!

The truth is that us bloggers (at least, those of us who are accepted as having done our bit for the community) tend to see ourselves as one family, we borrow from each other and are borrowed from in return, and we are all ok with that.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles

The truth is that us bloggers (at least, those of us who are accepted as having done our bit for the community) tend to see ourselves as one family, we borrow from each other and are borrowed from in return, and we are all ok with that.
It didn't seem that the author of Loyalty Lobby was "ok with that" or felt he was part of a big happy copy-and-paste family.

Besides isn't it proper etiquette to acknowledge the source when, ahem, borrowing? Something which wasn't happening with the Loyalty Lobby copying incident.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jun 5, 2015 at 6:45 am Reason: corrected name
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
Really?!?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
this is one of the best FT threads I've seen for a long, long time.

However, IBTL.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It didn't seem that Ric of Loyalty Lobby was "ok with that" or felt he was part of a big happy copy-and-paste family.
Isn't Ric Loyalty Traveler, as opposed to John at Loyalty Lobby (who I recall did the posts on that plagiarism)?

(Both sites I check and commend, BTW.)

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
this is one of the best FT threads I've seen for a long, long time.

However, IBTL.
Thanks. I've been quite careful to discuss the blog content (and where it's copied from), not the blogger... I'd hope others would follow the example.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I've been quite careful to discuss the blog content (and where it's copied from), not the blogger... I'd hope others would follow the example.
seems simple enough, doesnt it?

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Besides isn't it proper etiquette to acknowledge the source when, ahem, borrowing? Something which wasn't happening with the Loyalty Lobby copying incident.
try again >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
gary quoted headforpoints who quoted OP
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-leaked-early/

Head for Points published the full list.
http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/09...k-from-monday/

A big hat-tip to Loyalty Lobby who manually added the hotel names to the list, as the blog post produced by IHG did not include them!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Thanks. I've been quite careful to discuss the blog content (and where it's copied from), not the blogger... I'd hope others would follow the example.
It's line that is really easy to cross.

I followed the other thread with interest, and I too hope others take your lead and be careful - as well as being entertaining it could be quite an educational thread if it can stay open.

I'm not a blogger, rarely read them but I have been victim to plagiarism myself so it's a subject that really interests me.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

probably many FTers have been quoted without attribution, including in mainstream media

i have been used as a source, and i have seen one FlyerTalker quoted verbatim

every now and then, FlyerTalk will actually be linked (to a thread) or mentioned
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
probably many FTers have been quoted without attribution, including in mainstream media

i have been used as a source, and i have seen one FlyerTalker quoted verbatim

every now and then, FlyerTalk will actually be linked (to a thread) or mentioned
In my own case it was an entire website just copied and put up somewhere else; the person involved placed his own sponsors on the site - it probably took him about ten minutes to do, he may have made a few dollars out of it.

OT, but in this case the links remained to my own jpegs, so there were a few unsavoury little surprises in store when I replaced the original graphics.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

right, that is worse and ridiculous
re replacing image links - heh

i just meant FlyerTalk is a great source

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.