I give to you: The Luxury Travel Plagiarist

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
right, that is worse and ridiculous
re replacing image links - heh

i just meant FlyerTalk is a great source
yes, and I think it is one thing lifting lines or ideas from a post on FT, but entirely different copying someone's work on a blog and passing it off as your own.

This thread just reminded me of my own experience, and again sorry to go OT (something I tend to do with monotonous regularity)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the (stolen) quote of an FTer i saw was in an interview, in a magazine, i found it really funny
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sbm12
Really?!?
Your site is different, because you are creating proprietary tools and content and you are not driven by the news cycle.

I have no grounds to complain (and I don't) when people re-use news stories I ferretted out, because I have almost certainly taken an idea from that same person in the past.

We all know the sites where there is zero original analysis and the author would struggle to book a flight on Expedia without help. I wasn't including those people in my comment.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
Your site is different, because you are creating proprietary tools and content and you are not driven by the news cycle.
And yet I had to file a DMCA takedown against a local newspaper here in the NYC area for lifting text of mine related to a news story.

If you copy my content I will come after you, even if you link back to my site. There is fair use and there is copying and, while it may be a fine line, I am not at all OK with those who cross it.

Ideas are different than text. It matters.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Isn't Ric Loyalty Traveler, as opposed to John at Loyalty Lobby (who I recall did the posts on that plagiarism)?

(Both sites I check and commend, BTW.)
Oops! Yeah, too many similar blog names these days for my old brain to keep up with the respective authors' names.

try again >
The fact that two blogs have an acknowledgement is nice but there were 40+ that copied the text (I certainly never had the time to verify what percentage offered any credit, but take LL's post at face value implying such credit wasn't generally provided):

http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/11/01/b...ntbreaks-list/

The results are quite interesting to say the least. There were 40 Google hits outside of LoyaltyLobby that had this Lacrange spelling.
And more to my point, Loyalty Lobby was not pleased about it, contrary to Raffles' assertion that the blogosphere is one big happy family where no one cares about copying.

Referencing the list that I made and including a snippet would have been fine, but just copy/pasting it in its entirety certainly is not.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jun 5, 2015 at 6:52 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Try copying something out of TPGs blog... what you get is this added automatically:

Code:
Lufthansa flies direct to Munich from from Los Angeles, New York JKF and San Francisco, as well as major airports all over Europe including Rome, Prague and Milan; airberlin also has flights from Los Angeles and JFK, Delta flies from Atlanta, US Airways from Philadelphia and United from Chicago, Washington Dulles and Newark.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/09/destination-of-the-week-munich/#ixzz3cC64AMQB
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 84fiero
And more to my point, Loyalty Lobby was not pleased about it, contrary to Raffles' assertion that the blogosphere is one big happy family where no one cares about copying.
John was actually grumbling to a mutual acquaintence recently about people taking content ideas from him, including me!

His content is mainly news, though. If you are the first to write about a public offer, you cannot seriously complain when other people write about that same offer if they learn about from your website. That is nonsense. There is a blog on BA which fills about half of its weekly content with news cribbed from me. It doesn't concern me.

That is totally, totally different to, say, me writing an article on the best ICs in Europe and then someone else running an identical article a week later!

I would also be interested to know how many of the sites which cut and pasted John's list kept his affiliate links in. It may well have been very lucrative for him.

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 5, 2015 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Try copying something out of TPGs blog... what you get is this added automatically:
There are a number of plugins for WordPress which add that in. And deleting the extra text is trivial if the goal is to copy someone else's work without crediting them.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a blog on BA which fills about half of its weekly content with news cribbed from me.
Randy Petersen is pretty swift in actioning on such behaviour. VF360 got booted from boardingarea.de after doing a regular copy paste and German translation of LHflyer blog entries.

Originally Posted by sbm12
There are a number of plugins for WordPress which add that in. And deleting the extra text is trivial if the goal is to copy someone else's work without crediting them.
I know, just grabbed the first example that I could find. It would be nice to have a plugin that switches or flips every 10th character or a random location when text is copied
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:40 am

That is totally, totally different to, say, me writing an article on the best ICs in Europe and then someone else running an identical article a week later!
I hate to go back on topic, but that seems to be the problem with the Luxury Travel Expert posts (on the blog and FT) - copying directly from ads and such pretty blatantly.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that two blogs have an acknowledgement is nice
everyone complaining claims gary pretended that he did it himself >

isn't it proper etiquette to acknowledge the source when, ahem, borrowing? Something which wasn't happening with the Loyalty Lobby copying incident.
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I still love how loyaltylobby.com changed the spelling in a well edited listing of hotel deals and found that Gary Leff had copied it.

Hope the bloggers keep each other honest with more Easter eggs, etc.
if blogger gives link for attribution, it was not necessary for THAT blogger
only the bloggers who do NOT give link for attribution
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I hate to go back on topic, but that seems to be the problem with the Luxury Travel Expert posts (on the blog and FT) - copying directly from ads and such pretty blatantly.
Absolutely.

Though I don't mind the discussion on plagiarism. Hey, a good use for the Smack Talk forum!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:38 pm

everyone complaining claims gary pretended that he did it himself >
I don't know who "everyone" is, but I never mentioned Gary at all.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
It didn't seem that the author of Loyalty Lobby was "ok with that" or felt he was part of a big happy copy-and-paste family.

Besides isn't it proper etiquette to acknowledge the source when, ahem, borrowing? Something which wasn't happening with the Loyalty Lobby copying incident.
LOL ^^
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
LOL ^^
gary credited. thats not plagiarism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.