Chicago Seminars October 16-18th, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Registration is live.

If you've been to a previous event expect something very similar. If you haven't been before, check out the 2014 Thread

For those who might be new to Flyertalk. If you're interested in meeting other FTers in smaller groups in different locations throughout the year, FT has a forum called "CommunityBuzz".

This is where people will post get-togethers (often called "DOs"), whether it be something as simple as meeting up for lunch or dinner or as organized as activities over a few days in places like London, Australia, Austin, Alaska, etc. It's a great way to meet other travel-oriented folk, but not in academic or large setting like the seminar event.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/

For those that are new to Flyertalk & want to keep current with what's happening with the Chicago Seminar Event, in every thread there is a link near the top of the thread that says "Thread Tools". On the drop-down menu is an option to "Subscribe to this Thread". When you subscribe to the thread there's also a drop-down menu where she say how often you want to receive notification of updates to the thread (never, as it happens, weekly, etc) & then you get email notifications of posts to the thread in the timelines you've indicated.

Hotel Shuttle Info

The shuttle leaves the hotel to go to ORD on the hour. It goes from ORD to the hotel on the half hour. You pick it up at ORD at the hotel/shuttle bus stop section @ door #2

Changing Your Registered Sessions:
  1. Log into your Eventbrite account
  2. Choose "My Tickets" from the dropdown menu by your name at the top of the page
  3. Click "Manage Order" for Chicago Seminars 2015
  4. Click "edit" on the right side of the screen
  5. Make changes to your seminar choices
Print Wikipost

Chicago Seminars October 16-18th, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Thank you to everyone who worked hard to put this event together. As a first-timer who's been at this for about a year, it was incredibly valuable and definitely worth the money. It was especially great to have some extended time to chat with new FT friends!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by ingy
Haters Gonna Hate

1. Brian wasn't even here this year although he did donate 10 tickets. He is not an employee of creditcards.com. He sold his blog to Bankrate not creditcards.com

2. The attendees were asked if they knew bloggers were paid for their credit card applications and they all said yes. And they even would take a somewhat smaller offer than a publically available offer to support a blogger they liked.

3. Each and every attendee in the one and only credit card session was asked who was ultimately responsible for the link they chose, all stated they were personally accountable for the actions they take.

4. When asked if anyone had suffered a denial of credit for a mortgage, student loan or car loan, not one person had.

How do I know this? Because I was here and personally asked those questions. Like I said

Haters are gonna hate. That's all they know how to do.
You forgot to mention that you also said (twice that I heard) that the first concern re use of credit or your credit score is a home, college for the kids, etc. and to never jeopardize that for credit card games. (Paraphrased)

I signed on here to thank the organizers, presenters, and especially the other attendees who were so generous in sharing their experiences. It was a great weekend. Is registration open for next year?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mbpea
Thanks for leading the breakout. Great program updates. We need our own room next year. :-)
Yes we do
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, AA Gold
Great meeting all of you last weekend! (I'm the Hyatt/Delta guy that travels to sample local liquors. Send me a PM if we've chatted and want to keep in touch.)

I've already saved the date for next year and looking forward to it. Thank you to all the organizers for taking on the monumental task of organizing this year after year.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
Thanks for letting me fill in for mommypoints! It was lovely to meet so many of you, and I particularly enjoyed how enthusiastic our beginners were!

The outline of my presentation is up on SlideShare, for those who were asking: http://www.slideshare.net/TiffanyFun...h-miles-points
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by tebfunk
Thanks for letting me fill in for mommypoints! It was lovely to meet so many of you, and I particularly enjoyed how enthusiastic our beginners were!

The outline of my presentation is up on SlideShare, for those who were asking: http://www.slideshare.net/TiffanyFun...h-miles-points
Tiffany- i was in your session friday night and you were great! I really enjoyed it. I have a question. I'm trying to book AA Award for next september. I'm finding outbound i like, but nothing good on the return (plus the calendar doesn't go as far as i need right now). i know i can change my ticket, as long as origin and destination remain the same. i've put a hold on an itinerary, via AA.com, but will call to have it repriced as i used multi-city and the miles then come up more (MIA - one connection at LHR - on to FCO 2.5 hour layover). my question is once i hold a flight, can i have the agent make changes to it- when i call to reprice/book? i also looked on BA for Iberia returns and found better return flights, tho my hold already has a return. hope that makes sense! thanks again and hope you had a safe trip back!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by eddieras
Tiffany- i was in your session friday night and you were great! I really enjoyed it. I have a question. I'm trying to book AA Award for next september. I'm finding outbound i like, but nothing good on the return (plus the calendar doesn't go as far as i need right now). i know i can change my ticket, as long as origin and destination remain the same. i've put a hold on an itinerary, via AA.com, but will call to have it repriced as i used multi-city and the miles then come up more (MIA - one connection at LHR - on to FCO 2.5 hour layover). my question is once i hold a flight, can i have the agent make changes to it- when i call to reprice/book? i also looked on BA for Iberia returns and found better return flights, tho my hold already has a return. hope that makes sense! thanks again and hope you had a safe trip back!
You might want to PM Tiffany that in case she doesn't check the thread now that she's posted the slideshow. And good points/advice on her slide show. Sounds like it was a good session.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You might want to PM Tiffany that in case she doesn't check the thread now that she's posted the slideshow. And good points/advice on her slide show. Sounds like it was a good session.

Cheers.
it was a very good session- you should have her back! thanks for the tip- i'll pm her.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
Glad you enjoyed it! I replied to your PM, but in case others are wondering -- yes, you can absolutely reroute/reprice a held award prior to ticketing. This is true of every program that allows holds, actually.

It's worth noting you can't combine multiple held reservations into a single record without risking losing the award space though, so keep that in mind before you start holding space.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Why would anyone go there and support those so-called "bloggers"
telling new unexperienced people to apply for 10 credit cards in one day?
That's beyond me
I really don't know why anyone would want to go to an event supporting so-called "bloggers" telling new unexperienced people to apply for 10 credit cards in one day.

If you happen to find such an event please let me know about it so I can avoid it.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I wanted to publicly thank everyone that put this together. I met a lot of nice people and learned a lot from the experts as well as fellow attendees. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and have helped me to realize my travel goals - and- not one "blogger" suggested i apply for a credit card!
Thanks for attending and glad you enjoyed the event.

YOU are why the Chicago Seminars exists. ^
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LizGross144
Thank you to everyone who worked hard to put this event together. As a first-timer who's been at this for about a year, it was incredibly valuable and definitely worth the money. It was especially great to have some extended time to chat with new FT friends!
Glad you could make it! ^^^
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:29 pm

Someone mentioned they have it on the calendar for next year. Did they announce the date at the last session? If so, please post it. I need to know so I can store up on my sleep so that when next year's 'get-t-t-t your tickets' for charity raffle rolls around I'm rested.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
A m e n howie!

Originally Posted by thehowieee
i really don't know why anyone would want to go to an event supporting so-called "bloggers" telling new unexperienced people to apply for 10 credit cards in one day.

If you happen to find such an event please let me know about it so i can avoid it.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Someone mentioned they have it on the calendar for next year. Did they announce the date at the last session? If so, please post it. I need to know so I can store up on my sleep so that when next year's 'get-t-t-t your tickets' for charity raffle rolls around I'm rested.

Cheers.
waiting for final confirmation from the hotel before announcing oct 14-16 of next year, but now that we know the marathon won't be that weekend we're in a much better shape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.