Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Why do bloggers continually review the same product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do bloggers continually review the same product?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by pricesquire
If I have to stumble upon one more Park Hyatt Vendome review, I think I'm going to freak out.
I see what you did there.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....hyatt-vendome/

Yeeeeah. That's a yet-again-review twofer! Including a review of a product that will be going away soon.

Last edited by kokonutz; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:46 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
As for why they review the same thing over and over again, most likely because they like actually consuming the product so they keep doing so. And if those are the flights you're on and you feel compelled to write a trip report for every trip then those are the flights you'll review.
Sounds legit to me.

So, I guess the complaint being made here is "Why do these awful credit card pushing bloggers still write trip reports even when it's recycling material extensively? Why can't they just go away, because they're so awful? Incidentally, I hate bloggers who push credit cards, have I mentioned that recently?"

Well, if they did we wouldn't have this lovely forum, wouldn't we? Can't have metacommentary without the commentary to be meta about.

FWIW, I've seen prolific trip report writers report on the same product multiple times in the TR forum. But they're not pushing CC's so it's all good. They should totally be allowed to write whatever they want to on whatever subject amuses them. But once you're a blogger... well...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:11 am

To be fair, doesn't OMAAT try out lots of different A380's?

The problem is that it seems that most bloggers travel alone, so grabbing 1 seat is hard, but 2 or even 4 is impossible. Then you factor in kids, work, etc and travel time gets reduced...It will be interesting to see if Mommypoints cuts her travel back some. Kids can only miss so much school...Or will she travel solo so she can push the credit cards...Time will tell
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by farbster
To be fair, doesn't OMAAT try out lots of different A380's?

The problem is that it seems that most bloggers travel alone, so grabbing 1 seat is hard, but 2 or even 4 is impossible. Then you factor in kids, work, etc and travel time gets reduced...It will be interesting to see if Mommypoints cuts her travel back some. Kids can only miss so much school...Or will she travel solo so she can push the credit cards...Time will tell
They don't talk about it much, but I think both OMAAT and VFTW travel with others. VFTW typically his wife. Most of the pronouns used on their trip reports are 'we's rather than 'I's.

But they both run award booking companies, so are constantly tracking award availability and are therefore able to snag multiple seats.

But even amateurs like me can find 2 award seats with some patience, tenacity and flexibility.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I write about the trips because I enjoy them and people read the crap out of the reports. I can only speak for me, but they're my most read posts.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
They don't talk about it much, but I think both OMAAT and VFTW travel with others. VFTW typically his wife. Most of the pronouns used on their trip reports are 'we's rather than 'I's.

But they both run award booking companies, so are constantly tracking award availability and are therefore able to snag multiple seats.

But even amateurs like me can find 2 award seats with some patience, tenacity and flexibility.
I know Ben has often traveled with others. Something about using pillows to divide up a king size bed. I'm assuming when he is traveling with a friend or his dad he takes the king bed due to wanting to review a suite.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I write about the trips because I enjoy them and people read the crap out of the reports. I can only speak for me, but they're my most read posts.
Well that's because you aren't writing about juicy topics like how to join the mile high club!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: SQ
This is obvious to me

Why does Gary have 800 reviews of CX F? Because that's what he wants to fly.

Why does Ben fly A380s over and over when most of his readers don't? Because he wants to fly them.

Neither of them care about the readers actually using their advice, they just want to enjoy their holidays. It doesn't seem to matter at all level of content as they control the market which is filled with newbies.

I just clicked on Gary's click-bait UK tax waiver headline and want to call him up and ask for my .02 in ad revenue back. That was cruel.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have been reading both VFTW and OMAAT from day one. I no longer read their trip reports, I find them so repetitive I would rather cut myself mercilessly. They keep doing them because it fits well into their branding "Look at me, I am an expert, you can do it too!, click my credit cards).

I even did this a few times because someone challenged my expert title
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
A review of Cathay First Class will get many more clicks than a review of American Eagle regional jets. None of us like spending our time writing something that no one reads.

I've continued to write reviews of the second city domestic properties I stay in but my most-read review is of the Grand Hyatt Singapore, a hotel that many other bloggers have already written about. (And I think I got some of the clicks because I dared to say that I didn't think the Grand Club lounge was "all that", a contrarian view to many of the other reviews.)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by techgirl
A review of Cathay First Class will get many more clicks than a review of American Eagle regional jets. None of us like spending our time writing something that no one reads.

I've continued to write reviews of the second city domestic properties I stay in but my most-read review is of the Grand Hyatt Singapore, a hotel that many other bloggers have already written about. (And I think I got some of the clicks because I dared to say that I didn't think the Grand Club lounge was "all that", a contrarian view to many of the other reviews.)
On my TripAdvisor reviews I get the most 'reads' and 'helpful votes' on non-chain luxury hotel reviews.

Not sure why.

But of course there is no way to moentize those reviews with chain-affiliated credit card pumps, so probably not a market bloggers want to touch.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It's a different target audience though. People go to tripadvisor to specifically get advice about (usually) hotels in a certain area. I can only speak for myself, but people don't come to my blog for advice about hotels in a specific area, they come for the conversational writing style and the photography (based on feedback I've received).

I think reporting on a "typical" hotel in a certain area is only beneficial if you've stayed at similar hotels in that same area (Gary's reviews of the LAX hotels, for example). I haven't, so I don't typically write about the non-aspirational ones.

I have a bunch of pictures sitting around from the Hyatt Place Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, I'll put together a review and see how the traffic does.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It seems like there are acceptable and unacceptable products in this industry, and FT is definitely guilty of it too.

Acceptable: AA, Hyatt, Starwood, Star's non-US partners (LH only in F, SQ, TG), CX

Gray Area: Hilton, BA, Marriott

Unacceptable: DL, IHG

Not only do you have to only review the good ones, you have to continuously insult the bad ones. If you aren't making fun of Delta, you aren't blogging right.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Some of this like asking why TV networks broadcast reruns. Everyone hates it but it happens anyway. For the true hobbyist, though, nuances are key and what seems like repetitiveness to me may actually be key to helping someone spend their hard-earned miles/points in the best way (for them) possible. One guy out there, and we all know who, has even reviewed every single A380 first-class product out there! Ugh.

My favorite trip report blog posts tend to be those with new spin or new information. Recently, I liked Ben's very funny "La Compagnie" saga and Mommy Points' equally amusing mileage run report last October where she said, "I’ve never been a fan of the mileage run for many reasons, and I much prefer a ‘vacation run’ where you hang around in a city at least for a night or two to actually enjoy the travel rather than do the completely asinine thing of never leaving the airport." I'm not a Mommy Points fan at all but, really, I laugh every time I read that. Pure greatness.

If you make me laugh, I'm going to keep reading.

Edit: Oh, and CMK10, I confess to liking Spirit . . . .
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
It seems like there are acceptable and unacceptable products in this industry, and FT is definitely guilty of it too.

Acceptable: AA, Hyatt, Starwood, Star's non-US partners (LH only in F, SQ, TG), CX

Gray Area: Hilton, BA, Marriott

Unacceptable: DL, IHG

Not only do you have to only review the good ones, you have to continuously insult the bad ones. If you aren't making fun of Delta, you aren't blogging right.
Domestic US airlines are "scary" doncha know!?

If it's not LH or CX F then it's CRAP! @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.