Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Why do bloggers continually review the same product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

After reading over trip reports over the past few years I've seen a few trends:

1) The most popular bloggers review the same product multiple times.

2) Bloggers who aren't as popular go on an aspirational trip, will sometimes even reference a popular blogger's review, and then provide almost the exact same review and photos with their report.

How many times has Gary reviewed Cathay Pacific first? How many times has Ben reviewed each flagship lounge? I'm not seeing too many variables being changed. Although, with Ben's recent trip with his dad he has seemed to change his tune about Emirates. I just find it a little strange that with these trip reports of similar or the exact same product they do not come up with a new original idea on how to cover it. I think most of us could really care less about a menu change.

Examples:
Ben reviews Singapore's Private Room for a 4th time

Gary's 13+ review of Cathay Pacific First

They don't seem to be running out of content. Are they posting this stuff so they can write off the entire trip as a biz expense? If you are traveling for a vacation do you get credit for the flights and first night's stay as long as you are publishing a review to your blog? I think Brain at TPG may be guilty of this with his lackluster reviews with dimly lit iPhone photos.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
After reading over trip reports over the past few years I've seen a few trends:

1) The most popular bloggers review the same product multiple times.

2) Bloggers who aren't as popular go on an aspirational trip, will sometimes even reference a popular blogger's review, and then provide almost the exact same review and photos with their report.

How many times has Gary reviewed Cathay Pacific first? How many times has Ben reviewed each flagship lounge? I'm not seeing too many variables being changed. Although, with Ben's recent trip with his dad he has seemed to change his tune about Emirates. I just find it a little strange that with these trip reports of similar or the exact same product they do not come up with a new original idea on how to cover it. I think most of us could really care less about a menu change.

Examples:
Ben reviews Singapore's Private Room for a 4th time

Gary's 13+ review of Cathay Pacific First

They don't seem to be running out of content. Are they posting this stuff so they can write off the entire trip as a biz expense? If you are traveling for a vacation do you get credit for the flights and first night's stay as long as you are publishing a review to your blog? I think Brain at TPG may be guilty of this with his lackluster reviews with dimly lit iPhone photos.

They do it so they can add credit card links and get lots and lots of people who want to travel in First Class for "Free", to click on those links. When those people get the credit card the bloggers get their money and the cycle starts all over again.

Last edited by cruisr; Jan 13, 2015 at 2:25 pm Reason: edited for clarity
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cruisr
They do it so they can add credit card links and get lots and lots of people who want to travel in First Class for "Free", to click on those links. When those people get the credit card the bloggers get their money and the cycle starts all over again.
This.

And also, as Astrophsx guesses, there may also be tax reasons for bloggers to review the same product over and over. Writing the same information about the fifth or sixth time doing the same thing it still still makes it a business expense. @:-)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
This.

And also, as Astrophsx guesses, there may also be tax reasons for bloggers to review the same product over and over. Writing the same information about the fifth or sixth time doing the same thing it still still makes it a business expense. @:-)
Interestingly there doesn't seem to be much of a backlash. You'll see comments asking how many glasses of Krug were consumed. I guess these folks like to live vicariously?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Interestingly there doesn't seem to be much of a backlash. You'll see comments asking how many glasses of Krug were consumed. I guess these folks like to live vicariously?
I think that's sort of sad. Especially since the bloggers like to make it seem that anybody can travel for free and drink Dom and Krug. I guess they just don't care and are fans no matter what. As an aside there does seem to be a very strong fan base at OMAAT and they seem as if they don't think that Lucky can do anything wrong. So I guess that's why there isn't a backlash. I do go over every so often to read the comments. If anyone says anything negative the fans come out in force. Its funny to read. And I guess that's why they keep posting the same trip reports over and over and over again with the same credit card links. New readers, new links, new dollars. Rinse, repeat.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cruisr
I think that's sort of sad. Especially since the bloggers like to make it seem that anybody can travel for free and drink Dom and Krug. I guess they just don't care and are fans no matter what. As an aside there does seem to be a very strong fan base at OMAAT and they seem as if they don't think that Lucky can do anything wrong. So I guess that's why there isn't a backlash. I do go over every so often to read the comments. If anyone says anything negative the fans come out in force. Its funny to read. And I guess that's why they keep posting the same trip reports over and over and over again with the same credit card links. New readers, new links, new dollars. Rinse, repeat.
You are right though.. there are a plethora of One Direction and Taylor swift references that no one blinks an eye at. If you think his fans are dedicated check out the comments on Mommy Links. I can't imagine if someone were critical of her of appearances on Nightline.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
This.

Exactly, although regarding the "writing trips off" they better be bringing in some serious revenue on those adds to support those sort of expenses because when the IRS auditor shows up they are not going to show a lot of compassion for losses because not only did you want to fly First Class but you wanted to take the most expensive international FC flights that are equal to a very significant chunk of that IRS Agent's salary
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I think VFTW deserves an award in this category. 3 extensive reviews of Park Hyatt Maldives in 3 consecutive years.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miesque
Exactly, although regarding the "writing trips off" they better be bringing in some serious revenue on those adds to support those sort of expenses because when the IRS auditor shows up they are not going to show a lot of compassion for losses because not only did you want to fly First Class but you wanted to take the most expensive international FC flights that are equal to a very significant chunk of that IRS Agent's salary
Correct me if I am wrong here.. is it not more complicated than this?

I believe Ben gave a break down of how he paid for his travel for 2013. If I remember only ~25% of his travel is paid for directly. The rest he states that he gets through a combination of mileage runs, purchasing miles/points directly, and through his (and his family's) credit card sign ups. I'm assuming that these paid flight are also partly mistake fares. In 2014 I believe he probably has obtained points through living at a hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Correct me if I am wrong here.. is it not more complicated than this?

I believe Ben gave a break down of how he paid for his travel for 2013. If I remember only ~25% of his travel is paid for directly. The rest he states that he gets through a combination of mileage runs, purchasing miles/points directly, and through his (and his family's) credit card sign ups. I'm assuming that these paid flight are also partly mistake fares. In 2014 I believe he probably has obtained points through living at a hotel.
That may be true, but my comments still stands in terms of deducting travel expenses on a tax return, at the very least you need to have revenue to offset those funds or hobby loss comes into play, whatever that expense actually ends up being paid out of pocket and attempting to be deducted.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Miesque
That may be true, but my comments still stands in terms of deducting travel expenses on a tax return, at the very least you need to have revenue to offset those funds or hobby loss comes into play, whatever that expense actually ends up being paid out of pocket and attempting to be deducted.
No need to fret: they make PLENTY of revenue pump, pump, pumping credit cards and manufactured drama to offset those expenses. ^
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even I make enough money to cover my travel costs and show a profit. Plus the IRS allows losses some times; I think the rule is every 2 or 3 years out of 5 should show profit to not be considered a hobby but I'm not really useful for tax advice.

As for why they review the same thing over and over again, most likely because they like actually consuming the product so they keep doing so. And if those are the flights you're on and you feel compelled to write a trip report for every trip then those are the flights you'll review.

I find it skews the quality of the report when there is less evidence of comparative consumption by the reviewer; how does someone know product A is better than B, C, D & E if they've never tried the others?? Some are better about that than others. But that's part of why I go out of my way to fly different carriers whenever possible.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sbm12
But that's part of why I go out of my way to fly different carriers whenever possible.
Mostly in uninteresting economy

That said, the airlines are constantly fine tuning and updating their products so things do change every other year...@:-) Even Taylor Swift has changed...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

If I have to stumble upon one more Park Hyatt Vendome review, I think I'm going to freak out.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I can see periodically revisiting a product, to review and see if they stay consistent, improve or worsen. But as noted above, without some level of comparison to competing products, such reviews lose a lot of their meaning or helpfulness, IMHO.

However I imagine one reason we see such repeats in certain blogs is to try and capture new eyeballs that hadn't seen the 1,000 prior reviews of Cathay first or what have you and will think it's something new and interesting (oh by the way apply for this CC so you can experience this too!!!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.