Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:58 am
Community Director Emerita

This is like old days, both Randy and Mikel posting. I like it. Mikel, it's wonderful to see you here.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
The only thing I would add to what Kokonutz noted above is that, for the discerning, there's a lot to notice about exactly what was said and, especially, not said above. But enough of that.

My own view of Boarding Area is there is there is both good and bad, and I simply don't read or otherwise spend any time whatsoever on the latter. I mean, really, what's the point of that? Life is short.

Same for Flyertalk, too, by the way.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't generally care about the history of a business or why it was started... just what it has to offer today and going forward. How well liked its founder is, doesn't have relevance to me either. With BA there is some very good quality content, some poor quality content, and in-between. I'll keep reading the good stuff so long as it's there - just like any other information content provider. And also as with other commercial enterprise, BA is open to compliments, criticism and discussion about its services and products.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Am I the only person thinking that Randy's first post replying to me seems like it was written by a totally different person than the author of the next two posts penned by Randy Petersen?

I felt a little humbled by his original response, but reading the next two washed all of that away.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Am I the only person thinking that Randy's first post replying to me seems like it was written by a totally different person than the author of the next two posts penned by Randy Petersen?
Yes! I mean No, you are NOT the only one!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I'm assuming there are no standards on BA for disclosures of blatant advertisements.
This post today, http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/04/h...rol-on-the-go/, is outrageous in how miniscule its disclosure is at the bottom.
When I commented that it should have appropriate disclosure, I first got a reply saying that Scott does all "necessary disclosures" even those that are "not required." I tried to respond by linking to the FTC guidance which requires conspicuous, upfront disclosures, but the entire comment had been deleted. (Putting aside how something can be "necessary" but "not required.")
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
You may not actually believe this, but each blogger on BA is in control of their own blog.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
You may not actually believe this, but each blogger on BA is in control of their own blog.
They may have editorial control, but Boarding Area could set standards on things like advertising, since Boarding Area would likely be legally responsible should the FTC take action.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm assuming there are no standards on BA for disclosures of blatant advertisements.
This post today, http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/04/h...rol-on-the-go/, is outrageous in how miniscule its disclosure is at the bottom.
When I commented that it should have appropriate disclosure, I first got a reply saying that Scott does all "necessary disclosures" even those that are "not required." I tried to respond by linking to the FTC guidance which requires conspicuous, upfront disclosures, but the entire comment had been deleted. (Putting aside how something can be "necessary" but "not required.")
Road Warriorette had the same sponsored content and disclosed it only at the very end in small print. I agree that it is bad form and probably violates FTC guidelines but I seem to have lost that battle.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by rehoult
You can only DMCA materials that you own or are an authorized agent for. So the people that wrote it could do so, but they probably don't object to their marketing material being used for marketing.
However other BA blogs have lifted copyrighted material that wasn't advertisement - Points Miles & Martinis is one that has come up before on this forum with a whole copy-and-pasted news article and such. There was another awhile ago but I can't recall which blog offhand.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:59 pm

i sstill see massive copy and pasted articles from NYT, Mashable etc. maybe I should give my editor friend at Mashable a call

Originally Posted by 84fiero
However other BA blogs have lifted copyrighted material that wasn't advertisement - Points Miles & Martinis is one that has come up before on this forum with a whole copy-and-pasted news article and such. There was another awhile ago but I can't recall which blog offhand.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Those things are cake to fill out - I might just start filling them out for fun!
the next batch of articles from BA gonna be [SPONSORED] Get your Gold Star form Starbucks
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Alaska - Virgin buyout

Does anyone remember who was pontificating that Virgin America was on the verge of bankruptcy, wouldn't last another year or two, etc?

I remember thinking that the analysis seemed rather thin and self-serving.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
As one of those tiny bloggers on BA, I want to thank Randy for allowing me to be on there for the 4+ years. If he was all about profit, he wouldn't waste the electrons on my very niche blog. Like most of the bloggers on BA, I have no dreams nor intention of making my living off of blogging or associated revenue streams. I am happy that a few hundred readers a month apparently get value from what I write.

As with TV, if you don't like what is said, you can always change the channel.

Glenn
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Major G
As with TV, if you don't like what is said, you can always change the channel.

Glenn
While I appreciate your position on your blog, this isn't a meaningful retort. Criticism is valid, and anyone who writes publicly should be willing to accept it.
Moreover, many of us have expressed concerns about potential harm being done by BA blogs, which would not be eliminated by simply not reading the blog. Some would argue that simply changing the channel when destructive, harmful content is on is socially irresponsible.
nineworldseries likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.