Wiki Posts
Search

FTU Tampa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Heck, maybe if we could know what grizzly discovery was made in the shallows...
Originally Posted by sbm12
A large purple dildo.
A grizzly dildo!? Wait...was this a leftover from the pool sessions!?!?!
Sounds like a discovery from our Blue Martini sessions that followed our Shula's sessions last time we were in Tampa together koko ...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
But in a culture of too many FT'ers (and I presume MP's too) that too often seems to think that its appropriate to talk about "lounge dragons," and "matrons" and "gate lice," etc., etc., I'm not sure I'm surprised.
+1, you forgot "Kettles" on your list ...
Of course, this can be accomplished just as easily at a 'free' happy hour or dinner (or, um, swimming pool ) DO....@:-)^
+1, and the beer towers by the pool are definitely beneficial for lubricating the conversation.
Originally Posted by yerffej201
You think the "DO" has changed? Obviously I haven't been here nearly as long as you have, but it seems like back them (say 4+ years ago) people actually knew the face that matched the ft handle, whereas now it's the old-timers vs. the new people who stumble on the forum and get bashed for asking newbie questions. Maybe DO's in Canada are just ... different. I have no idea, honestly.
Here's my perspective, back in the day I would go to a Do and hang out with some people talk about jobs, sports, current events, families, food, booze, and even some travel and the purpose of FT was to get the maximum value of the airline, hotel, and rental car loyalty programs. Now the vocal minority of FT is obsessed with shamelessly extracting every last ounce of value from the airlines, hotels, and rental car companies and that is often the first and last thing they want to talk about, and no doubt that's in part due to the way some have turned it in to a career instead of a hobby (back in the day Randy was the only one who had made a career out of it ...). Now I sound like an old coot longing for the good ole' days I know ...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
For years, my morning reading has included FT and travel blogs. I learned from them, early on, that FTU was slated for a TPA locale this fall. I have a home in TPA and thought how cool and easy it would be to go to FTU therefore. As we moved through the summer months and into fall, I found so little FTU "hype" that I began to wonder if going would be worth it or not. The event just didn't seem to be promoted all that much. It's website seemed lackluster to me, and even as the date got closer the focus on the sites I read highlighted the Chicago "do" w/ample enthusiasm. The seemingly lack of groundswell about the TPA FTU kept me away because I figured it was so poorly promoted perhaps there just wasn't much to it.
There would seem to be some politics behind which events are promoted in which communities. FT rarely has significant discussion about FTU and MilePoint is similarly light on discussion about the Chicago events. I can't speak to the quality of their website or other marketing materials.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Beckles
Sounds like a discovery from our Blue Martini sessions that followed our Shula's sessions last time we were in Tampa together koko ...
+1, you forgot "Kettles" on your list ...
+1, and the beer towers by the pool are definitely beneficial for lubricating the conversation.
Here's my perspective, back in the day I would go to a Do and hang out with some people talk about jobs, sports, current events, families, food, booze, and even some travel and the purpose of FT was to get the maximum value of the airline, hotel, and rental car loyalty programs. Now the vocal minority of FT is obsessed with shamelessly extracting every last ounce of value from the airlines, hotels, and rental car companies and that is often the first and last thing they want to talk about, and no doubt that's in part due to the way some have turned it in to a career instead of a hobby (back in the day Randy was the only one who had made a career out of it ...). Now I sound like an old coot longing for the good ole' days I know ...
Good times. Good times. Speaking of which, you and Kim should come to Vegas this weekend. I promise Lisa and will not NOT make out at the craps tables as much as last time.

And good analysis, one 'old coot' to another.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Beckles
Here's my perspective, back in the day I would go to a Do and hang out with some people talk about jobs, sports, current events, families, food, booze, and even some travel and the purpose of FT was to get the maximum value of the airline, hotel, and rental car loyalty programs.
Thats what we do at the MUC Stammtisch every month. Its a gathering of like minded folks who talk about god and the world and exchange tips & tricks, like which site to use for a IHG BRG or how far the CMB fare can/could be stretched. No one is stopping you from organising such DOs in your neighbourhood ...@:-)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Speaking of which, you and Kim should come to Vegas this weekend. I promise Lisa and will not NOT make out at the craps tables as much as last time.
Will Lisa watch the babies while we're at the craps table?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:22 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ingy
Chicago Seminars is a sellout for our fourth year running
If there's one thing you can say about Rick, it's that he definitely knows how to SELLOUT.

(Sorry, you just make it way to easy.)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:52 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo13
If there's one thing you can say about Rick, it's that he definitely knows how to SELLOUT.

touche'

But its more when than how.

Right at the Top of the Market
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:32 am

God Bless America.

If Rick had owned a shoe store and he built it up and then another company wanted to buy his store, why shouldn't he sell it and make money.

Isn't that the purpose? Maybe he started out as a little hobby, but why isn't he allowed to make money? I hope he made tons of money. That's the American way.

Last edited by farbster; Oct 18, 2013 at 8:33 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by farbster
God Bless America.

If Rick had owned a shoe store and he built it up and then another company wanted to buy his store, why shouldn't he sell it and make money.

Isn't that the purpose? Maybe he started out as a little hobby, but why isn't he allowed to make money? I hope he made tons of money. That's the American way.
^

I don't get some of the folks on FT...

1. Randy Peterson sells FT to InternetBrands = OK

2. Rick sells FTG to InternetBrands = Not OK
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The idea of people making money off this stuff is an anathema to many. That's why you see hate about having to pay to attend a conference or such. At least the haters are pretty consistent in their comments on that front.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
^

1. Randy Peterson sells FT to InternetBrands = OK
That isn't what I got from the tone of the posts when that happened.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ScottC
Indeed.

And to all those upset by my post..... it was a bit of a joke. If I had cashed out like Randy, Rick, or any of the bloggers, I wouldn't really care who wanted to call me a sellout! Rick's a friend of mine.... right Rick?

I would also clarify that the part that many of us get irritated about is the 'I want to help people, so I started a blog' line. Just be up front: You started a blog because you want to make money. If you're honest, I'll respect you.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
I wasn't around then, but haven't really noticed any more than a small percentage of negative comments when it does come up here, or in other conversations elsewhere in the time I've been involved in this hobby (hence I said "some of the folks"). My point was that I find it funny as I've come across some disparaging posts about the FTG sale, being posted on a site that was similarly sold to the same company by another individual.

Indeed.

And to all those upset by my post..... it was a bit of a joke. If I had cashed out like Randy, Rick, or any of the bloggers, I wouldn't really care who wanted to call me a sellout! Rick's a friend of mine.... right Rick?

I would also clarify that the part that many of us get irritated about is the 'I want to help people, so I started a blog' line. Just be up front: You started a blog because you want to make money. If you're honest, I'll respect you.

I didn't mean to single your post out, it just happened to be what made me think of it.

Though I personally wouldn't want to be called "a sellout", and wouldn't think most people would, since that has a negative meaning of going against one's purported values and ethics in exchange for money.

I agree there's false publicity many times with blogs claiming to be altruistic. I guess it's no different than corporations implying they're in business to help people, save the environment, etc!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:05 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Indeed.

Yes Hobo, We are friends. Took a while to get there, but we are friends

I started my blog when I figured out how to monetize it, and got to help lots of people along the way. It was a great combination.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ingy
Yes Hobo, We are friends. Took a while to get there, but we are friends

I started my blog when I figured out how to monetize it, and got to help lots of people along the way. It was a great combination.
Rick-

How much did it cost to to attend at this year's Chicago seminar?

Also, how much to attend the seminars in the first two years you put them on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.