FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   FTU Tampa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1507525-ftu-tampa.html)

freeloader Sep 30, 2013 5:44 am

FTU Tampa

FTU Tampa was this weekend. anyone go? how was it?

first FTU in the last few to not sell out... it seemed somewhat repeative from the DC offering in the spring, maybe that had something to do with it

kokonutz Sep 30, 2013 7:30 am

Like the *MegaDo5, has saturation point been reached?

MSPeconomist Oct 1, 2013 4:53 pm

I attended. It was fun. As expected, some of the sessions were more interesting and useful to me than some of the other sessions, but this is normal in a large and diverse group.

ingy Oct 1, 2013 7:25 pm

Competed with Chicago Seminars

They announced later and scheduled two weeks prior to the Chicago Seminars. Hmmm???

Chicago Seminars is a sellout for our fourth year running :D

tom911 Oct 1, 2013 7:41 pm

Here's a blog with some details:
http://first2board.com/willrunformil...-ftu-thoughts/

This particular blogger is a fan of award booking services:

After hearing Ben and Gary speak about award booking, and after listening to their live conversations with Delta and US Airways reps (trying to book complex award travel), and after my own attempts recently to book an award trip to Japan, I can appreciate the value of hiring an award booking service. A good award booker can perform miracles that are far more valuable than the fee charged!

kokonutz Oct 1, 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 21538291)
Here's a blog with some details:
http://first2board.com/willrunformil...-ftu-thoughts/

This particular blogger is a fan of award booking services:

Well there's a minute thirty I'll never get back.

With special thanks to BenandGary!

katstarr Oct 1, 2013 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 21538419)
Well there's a minute thirty I'll never get back.

With special thanks to BenandGary!

not sure what you mean, but it was helpful listening to them try to book the awards with Delta and US Air.

kokonutz Oct 1, 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr (Post 21538519)
not sure what you mean, but it was helpful listening to them try to book the awards with Delta and US Air.

Just pointing out that it was a content-free post. Maybe if we had some deets about what Gary and Ben actually said? Maybe if we had learned why some attendees were marveling at Seth's brilliance? Maybe if we knew why MMS (and not his ghost writers/researchers) thrill newbies. Maybe if we knew specifically why award booking services were being pumped....

Heck, maybe if we could know what grizzly discovery was made in the shallows...

Alas.

Instead: a minute and a half I will never get back.

84fiero Oct 1, 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 21538712)
Just pointing out that it was a content-free post. Maybe if we had some deets about what Gary and Ben actually said? Maybe if we had learned why some attendees were marveling at Seth's brilliance? Maybe if we knew why MMS (and not his ghost writers/researchers) thrill newbies. Maybe if we knew specifically why award booking services were being pumped....

Alas.

Instead: a minute and a half I will never get back.

Learn to speed read and next time it will only waste 45 seconds:D

Speaking of MMS, he is hiring a Managing Editor and Assistant Editor/Writer if you're up for some ghostwriting!

I would've liked to have seen Seth's session, but not sure any of the other FTU presenters were worthwhile.

Having seen Gary and Ben's talks before, I wouldn't go see them again and didn't get anything from them the first time, personally. I understand the award services for people who are too busy or don't want to be bothered with such details...as with many other tasks in life that some people prefer to pay to have done for them. However none of what they do is something that difficult per se, it just takes some patience and some effort to learn from existing bodies of knowledge on FT and elsewhere.

sbm12 Oct 2, 2013 9:43 am

J...Maybe if we had learned why some attendees were marveling at Seth's brilliance? ...

Because I am amazing. ;)

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 21538808)
I would've liked to have seen Seth's session, but not sure any of the other FTU presenters were worthwhile.

I led three and participated in one other. Not sure which one you're specifically interested in (I'm guessing UA) but I'll have my slides (such as they are, which is to say pretty mediocre) online hopefully later this week. I don't think that there is much either of you would have learned new from my sessions but, quite frankly, you weren't the target audience for any of them. The FTU events draw a large number of newbies who are just beginning to start in this ridiculous game we play. I focus on them, not the people who have been at previous events, because I think that's where the best value proposition is for education and sharing.

I also led the "Pool Sessions" this year, which mostly was me sitting at the pool most of Saturday and chatting with other attendees who chose to skip the conference room and enjoy the sun. I made several new friends and we did talk about miles & points a bit, in addition to many other things. I'm hoping to lead those again next time, weather permitting. :D

A large purple dildo.

kokonutz Oct 2, 2013 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 21541297)
Because I am amazing. ;)

Well sure. But WHY!?

I also led the "Pool Sessions" this year, which mostly was me sitting at the pool most of Saturday and chatting with other attendees who chose to skip the conference room and enjoy the sun. I made several new friends and we did talk about miles & points a bit, in addition to many other things. I'm hoping to lead those again next time, weather permitting. :D
Do pool sessions feature towers of beer? I may have to reconsider attending an FTU if so!

A large purple dildo.
A grizzly dildo!? Wait...was this a leftover from the pool sessions!?!?!

PS, does one have to pay the registration fee to attend the pool sessions?

sbm12 Oct 2, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 21542662)
Well sure. But WHY!?

My natural charm, among other things. I tell a good story and it usually has some relevance when I'm done. And I do it with passion and emotion. Surprising how hard it is to find all that at once. :p

Do pool sessions feature towers of beer? I may have to reconsider attending an FTU if so!

BYOB, but the bartender was right there. ;)

PS, does one have to pay the registration fee to attend the pool sessions?

IMO, no, but I'm not in charge.

oliver2002 Oct 3, 2013 8:07 am

Lots of cheering and clapping going on for the great 'call a dumb operator' award booking session. :td:

Call centers are staffed by folks who usually take calls from a US CP or DL DM who wants to find 4 seats to HNL because s/he didn't find it online. All the professional award bookers benefit from the low level of training or geographical awareness, so remember not to spite the hand that feeds you.

sbm12 Oct 3, 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 21546722)
Lots of cheering and clapping going on for the great 'call a dumb operator' award booking session. :td:

C'mon, Oliver...don't you know it is more fun to mock and deride than to be respectful and civil?? :rolleyes:

I poked my head in to that session and walked right back out to the pool. Pretty sure I made the right call there.

MJonTravel Oct 4, 2013 10:40 am

I can vouch for the pool sessions, bar sessions, and Bern's sessions.