Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:11 pm

Interesting!

Last edited by CD747; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:42 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CD747

I saw your post here and (to use your language) just HAD to respond.

I am the reader who wrote in to Ben about this topic. Maybe in your rush to spill your vitriol over the internet, you didn’t notice the parts of the article that noted that:

1: I received no notable compensation.
2: I recognised afterwards that I went a bit far.
3: I thought the double-sidedness, in hotels accepting bookings speculatively when they are not confident they will open, but the program not liking speculative bookings by members, was a bit rich.

I’m glad you see fit to moralise on what is and isn’t acceptable behaviour, from speculative hotel bookings to Iberia offer abuse, and we can all learn from your shining example. It’s particularly gratifying to be described as “gross as hell” from someone as highly esteemed as yourself.

Maybe you could follow your own advice to “get a side hustle to earn some money”. I am sure you would like to be held to the same moral standard you impose on others, and your post history is quite revealing.
I wouldn't sweat it. Some people will think you will be going to he!l, but frankly, who cares?

I found the entry informative, so thanks for writing to Lucky. ^
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by CD747

I saw your post here and (to use your language) just HAD to respond.

I am the reader who wrote in to Ben about this topic. Maybe in your rush to spill your vitriol over the internet, you didn’t notice the parts of the article that noted that:

1: I received no notable compensation.
2: I recognised afterwards that I went a bit far.
3: I thought the double-sidedness, in hotels accepting bookings speculatively when they are not confident they will open, but the program not liking speculative bookings by members, was a bit rich.

I’m glad you see fit to moralise on what is and isn’t acceptable behaviour, from speculative hotel bookings to Iberia offer abuse, and we can all learn from your shining example. It’s particularly gratifying to be described as “gross as hell” from someone as highly esteemed as yourself.

Maybe you could follow your own advice to “get a side hustle to earn some money”. I am sure you would like to be held to the same moral standard you impose on others, and your post history is quite revealing.
God forbid someone on a message forum has an opinion, gasp. What do you want us to do here then? Nod and smile and pat each others backs on each and every post, whether you agree or not?

I think my post history here is quite mild actually, but you seem to be offended at the drop of a pin so who knows?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Congrats to Lucky and blessings for a happy and fruitful marriage, I thought his post about it was wonderful.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Congrats to Lucky and blessings for a happy and fruitful marriage, I thought his post about it was wonderful.
I agree. I didn't think he would share much about his wedding, but I'm glad he did. It looks like a very nice, tasteful, and fitting ceremony. They look very happy together.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:31 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I’m falling asleep within the first 2 paragraphs of every OMAAT post. He’s been doing the same thing since he was 17... and lately switched to only covering the airlines I’d never take.
I’ve switched channels along with it. I find the other bloggers posting stuff frequent flyers are interested in...
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:45 pm

The problem with doing the same thing since you were 17 is that you eventually run out of material to write about and the scene you are writing about changes. It really makes no sense to book a series of flights on one-off/odd ball carriers that no one is interested in simply to have material for your blog. Maybe it's time to rethink the blog.

And "James" for me has become the most interesting writer on the blog.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ben uses templates to describe the inflight product he tests and reports about. If he structured his work right he could have a database that can auto write future reviews. As Koko mentioned before OMAAT is a terrific compendium on inflight seats. The other stuff he tends to write about are....
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:32 am

Going to have to call Ben out on his response to a comment on an article he wrote about the St. Regis Bora Bora.

"John" wrote a comment:
Did it ever occur to you that they might have given you “the rockstar room” which is the most beaten up suite they have, e.g. since you booked with points? We all know the issue when you book with points? You´ll often times get what´s left from guests that actually pay money.

Ben responded:
@ John — Did it ever occur to you that I actually paid cash for my stay and I’m a Platinum Premier Ambassador? But I know you’re just here to troll me, so…

Yet in Ben's previous post about booking the St. Regis Bora Bora trip he wrote:
While I had previously booked a refundable stay at the St. Regis Bora Bora using the Citi Prestige fourth night free benefit, to my surprise there was a standard room available, so I was able to switch it to a points reservation, for 60,000 points per night.

Did I miss something here? Why would he claim he paid cash and therefore shouldn't have received a different experience? His original post was Sept. 28th of this year, but doesn't seem likely he would book with cash, then switch to points, then switch back to cash.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
"All it matters is conversions" - Blogger who sold way too early
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:28 pm

Interesting conversation going on among the readers reacting to James' explanation as to why OMAAT doesn't review Premium Economy (much). Underlying theme seems to be that many read OMAAT for entertainment and daydreaming but rarely find information useful to their own lives.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The founder of Frugal Travel Guy

Rick, goes by Ingy here...

Oh, hi Mark
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
Interesting conversation going on among the readers reacting to James' explanation as to why OMAAT doesn't review Premium Economy (much). Underlying theme seems to be that many read OMAAT for entertainment and daydreaming but rarely find information useful to their own lives.
This comment summarizes it pretty well, though there were plenty with similar themes:
beth says:
December 11, 2018 at 4:02 pmPlease be honest and say Ben doesn’t want to fly premium economy and don’t tell me it’s because of mile redemption. I feel like every other week he’s bought some “amazing fare” that he’s flying. I think the fact that there is a post to justify the fact that the blog will not do reviews speaks to the fact that you know readers want it. Just own it. He doesn’t want to fly below business. Fine, that’s his choice but don’t make it seem like it is for another reason.

I got started in miles and points about 5 years ago(and kick myself for not having done so earlier), but find it harder and harder to get credit card bonuses. I don’t have huge spend totals so redemptions are further apart for me, which is unfortunate, but it was fun while it lasted.
I have switched into purchasing fares, including premium economy and take issue with you saying there isn’t much difference. I find huge differences.

Heck, BA has had problems with economy getting better and more abundant food that premium economy. Cathay uses their regional business seats for premium long haul. Some airlines offer different perks, and, really, how much difference is there between flying different types of planes in BA business? Especially over and over?

I think you are also missing the fact that premium economy is luxury travel for a lot of people and that most people don’t have the mileage bank you do nor will they ever. I have friends who would love to fly business or first but are traveling with a family of 4 or more so they purchase premium economy as a splurge.

I can’t get enough miles to get us somewhere in first and most of my family has never flown anything but economy so premium is a step up. I can’t tell you how blown away a friend of mine was when we went into a Delta lounge. They kept checking to make sure everything was complimentary. They told me they felt so important. It was a Delta lounge, and not even a very good one and this was a adult who had been traveling since they were small but this was new to them.

I think Ben has been traveling in luxury for so long, it has made him unaware of what “aspirational travel” actually is for a lot of people and, while it is certainly the blog’s prerogative to review what they want, I find it short-sighted and huge missed opportunity. I don’t think anyone is expecting hundreds of premium economy reviews, but a few would be rather nice.

I have been enjoying James’ articles because his have been more down to earth which makes the authorship of this article a little unfortunate.
Overall, seems like a fair amount of readers would appreciate some diversification on the blog. It will be interesting to see if that feedback takes hold or not.

Last edited by 84fiero; Dec 12, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

getting rid of use of "aspirational" would help...

does ben still talk about 'laundering' miles? these days are there many airlines where one can get 'good deals' on premium flights by buying miles to redeem?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Interesting -- I would think the rise in PE and the fact that we are starting to see that redemption opportunities available on US airlines (UA and DL for now -- presumably AA not far behind since all 3 now have the product) would seem to make PE a decent option to highlight for credit card conversions (since we all know that's the actual metric that drives most of what they review and don't review).

Certainly PE isn't as aspirational as J/F but might be more realistic to certain readers like those who have a family and could afford 3-4 PE seats with a sign-up bonus and spend but getting to 3-4 J seats isn't going to happen (or isn't practical).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.