One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
With the amount of material posted, that slip will hardly be noticed... anyone remember Daniel who posted a few times?
He's also quite a successful Youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrL...kqnnSnIVc-KLjA
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:39 am

LoL those of you who are waiting for OMAAT to 'die' have ways to go. To put things into perspective, this thread was started nearly 5 years back in July 2013. Let that sink in.

The site and material may now seem irrelevant to the FT community, but it's not irrelevant to the masses who continue to get into this game every day. And that's his target audience anyway - not us FT'ers who sit on a pedestal and judge others all the while with millions of miles in our accounts that (many of us) accumulated with the help of FlyerTalk and some of these bloggers when we were new. I wasn't born with in-depth knowledge of the world of miles and points, but then again I'm happy to admit that, unlike others who feel they knew everything from day one.

His archive of (airliner) product reviews is Priceless. That's a gift that will keep on giving for him, his pockets, and his readers.

And lastly, Lucky is probably one of the handful of travel bloggers who will continue to write with or without the money pouring in.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
He's also quite a successful Youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrL...kqnnSnIVc-KLjA
What's considered a successful aviation channel? It seems like any random premium cabin video gets 20k+ views. For the amount of time someone at his level puts into filming, editing, and publishing your videos the money they are probably making off of ad revenue is less than minimum wage. That's not even considering the cost of camera gear and travel expenses.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lucky is probably one of the handful of travel bloggers who will continue to write with or without the money pouring in.

I doubt it if the money stops pouring in.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I doubt it if the money stops pouring in.
Agreed. Can't very well survive with no income. I can't travel like he does even with a good income. They must be pulling some excellent numbers.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
I'd imagine he makes around 100k per year, but my point is that (1) I think he grew up much richer than he purports and (2) his now-husband's family is loaded. I don't think Lucky is particularly self-made, or self-sustaining.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by LeaveYourDailyHell
I'd imagine he makes around 100k per year, but my point is that (1) I think he grew up much richer than he purports and (2) his now-husband's family is loaded. I don't think Lucky is particularly self-made, or self-sustaining.
You would be imagining very wrong. Even mid-low level bloggers can crack 100k per year.
JonNYC, oliver2002 and CodeAdam10 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
You would be imagining very wrong. Even mid-low level bloggers can crack 100k per year.
This is based off of what? I'm sure everyone could have a different definition of what "mid-low level" is... is a low-level blogger one that cannot get their own credit card referral links?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:56 pm

I meant that he probably makes in the 100-200k range, but my main point stands. There's this perception of Lucky as some sort of self-made genius, when in reality he started life with huge advantages, then chose to marry into an even higher echelon. Which is fine, God knows I wish my parents had been better off or that I could bag a ....able rich dude, but I don't think he deserves as much credit as he gets, certainly not with the crap he's been posting the past couple years.

Last edited by LeaveYourDailyHell; Apr 30, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:21 pm

I meant that he probably makes in the 100-200k range, but my main point stands. There's this perception of Lucky as some sort of self-made genius, when in reality he started life with huge advantages, then chose to marry into an even higher echelon. Which is fine, God knows I wish my parents had been better off or that I could bag a ....able rich dude, but I don't think he deserves as much credit as he gets, certainly not with the crap he's been posting the past couple years.
Man ... what a level of envious is filled in that sentence.

Do tell ... what specific advantages did Lucky have with his blog's success that could be attributed to his "life of huge advantages"? Go read his blog posts from 2008...2009...2010...11...12...etc to get a glimpse of how he started. Go read his FT message history to see how he started. It's not really classified information, if you care for a reality-check.

Btw ... I think you are missing a zero in guesstimating his annual income.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
This is based off of what? I'm sure everyone could have a different definition of what "mid-low level" is... is a low-level blogger one that cannot get their own credit card referral links?
I have been a full time blogger for almost 7 years. When I speak, you should listen.

Again, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. Let this one go.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:04 pm

I know exactly what I am talking about; I've been blogging several years longer than you, FWIW.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Man ... what a level of envious is filled in that sentence.

Do tell ... what specific advantages did Lucky have with his blog's success that could be attributed to his "life of huge advantages"? Go read his blog posts from 2008...2009...2010...11...12...etc to get a glimpse of how he started. Go read his FT message history to see how he started. It's not really classified information, if you care for a reality-check.

Btw ... I think you are missing a zero in guesstimating his annual income.
1) "Guesstimating" is not a word. (EDIT: It is, apparently, though it sounds made up.)
2) I don't doubt that Lucky put work into the early incarnation of his blog, but you don't get a second passport with pauper parents. As someone who did create a glamorous life out of a lower-middle class upbringing, I resent Lucky's constant insistence that he didn't start out rich (or close to it).
3) I'm not envious of Lucky; I blog about actual on-the-ground travel as opposed to Miles and Points. I actually used to enjoy Lucky's content a lot, but the recent devolution of OMAAT into tone-deaf sociopolitical commentary and shameless credit card hawking has made me question how good any of it actual was to begin with, at least for people who aren't totally clueless to "the hobby" (as I admittedly was when I discovered it).
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I have been a full time blogger for almost 7 years. When I speak, you should listen.
You're joking, right?
Old May 1, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: UA
There isn't too much information out what bloggers make but if you look at the estimates what other blogs sold for and also some other information the blog should be in the 7 digit yearly revenue. There is an older Mr. Money Mustache article out where he made 4k for just having credit card links without pushing them hard (see how many articles on Ben's blog push cards and have links for them in it).

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012...dom-of-speech/
Markie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.