Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Oct 3, 18, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan View Post
OK, disclaimer. I like Lucky, quite a bit. His articles / writing style / frequency / coverage all works for me, and gave me my MBA in Points pretty effectively and quickly. Also, I am sensitive to snobs, but he does not trigger my snob radar either (I realize many on this thread do not agree). Watching his videos I think gave me context. I tend to think I can read people well.

Anyways, I just HAD to point this out...

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ing-new-hotel/

This guy that wrote into Lucky, and SPG warned, is gross as hell. He is exceptionally fortunate that all he got was an email warning.

How the hell did Lucky not call this guy out for being out of line?!?! Real talk: I realize Lucky is not going to receive an absurd email and then write an article making a mockery of a reader. But, the best course of action seems to be NOT to write an article and not call this guy out. Seems like he is taking fence-sitting to an extreme by using the reader as an example to write a novel article (kudos for that, I guess), but he doesn't want to anger the reader for writing in and saying how offensive and dumb his behavior is, in public (even though it's anonymous).

Have a nice day everyone!
I saw your post here and (to use your language) just HAD to respond.

I am the reader who wrote in to Ben about this topic. Maybe in your rush to spill your vitriol over the internet, you didnít notice the parts of the article that noted that:

1: I received no notable compensation.
2: I recognised afterwards that I went a bit far.
3: I thought the double-sidedness, in hotels accepting bookings speculatively when they are not confident they will open, but the program not liking speculative bookings by members, was a bit rich.

Iím glad you see fit to moralise on what is and isnít acceptable behaviour, from speculative hotel bookings to Iberia offer abuse, and we can all learn from your shining example. Itís particularly gratifying to be described as ďgross as hellĒ from someone as highly esteemed as yourself.

Maybe you could follow your own advice to ďget a side hustle to earn some moneyĒ. I am sure you would like to be held to the same moral standard you impose on others, and your post history is quite revealing.
Old Oct 3, 18, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CD747 View Post

I am the reader who wrote in to Ben about this topic. Maybe in your rush to spill your vitriol over the internet, you didnít notice the parts of the article that noted that:

3: I thought the double-sidedness, in hotels accepting bookings speculatively when they are not confident they will open, but the program not liking speculative bookings by members, was a bit rich.

Iím glad you see fit to moralise on what is and isnít acceptable behaviour, from speculative hotel bookings to Iberia offer abuse, and we can all learn from your shining example. Itís particularly gratifying to be described as ďgross as hellĒ from someone as highly esteemed as yourself.

Maybe you could follow your own advice to ďget a side hustle to earn some moneyĒ. I am sure you would like to be held to the same moral standard you impose on others, and your post history is quite revealing.
I wouldn't sweat it. Some people will think you will be going to he!l, but frankly, who cares?

I found the entry informative, so thanks for writing to Lucky.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by CD747 View Post

I am the reader who wrote in to Ben about this topic. Maybe in your rush to spill your vitriol over the internet, you didn’t notice the parts of the article that noted that:

I’m glad you see fit to moralise on what is and isn’t acceptable behaviour, from speculative hotel bookings to Iberia offer abuse, and we can all learn from your shining example. It’s particularly gratifying to be described as “gross as hell” from someone as highly esteemed as yourself.

Maybe you could follow your own advice to “get a side hustle to earn some money”. I am sure you would like to be held to the same moral standard you impose on others, and your post history is quite revealing.
God forbid someone on a message forum has an opinion, gasp. What do you want us to do here then? Nod and smile and pat each others backs on each and every post, whether you agree or not?

I think my post history here is quite mild actually, but you seem to be offended at the drop of a pin so who knows?
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Congrats to Lucky and blessings for a happy and fruitful marriage, I thought his post about it was wonderful.
AStarr likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:21 am

Programs: AF/DL, UA, Chase Sapphire, JS Rouge Comradia
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
Congrats to Lucky and blessings for a happy and fruitful marriage, I thought his post about it was wonderful.
I agree. I didn't think he would share much about his wedding, but I'm glad he did. It looks like a very nice, tasteful, and fitting ceremony. They look very happy together.
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:31 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
I’m falling asleep within the first 2 paragraphs of every OMAAT post. He’s been doing the same thing since he was 17... and lately switched to only covering the airlines I’d never take.
I’ve switched channels along with it. I find the other bloggers posting stuff frequent flyers are interested in...
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
Iím falling asleep within the first 2 paragraphs of every OMAAT post. Heís been doing the same thing since he was 17... and lately switched to only covering the airlines Iíd never take.
Iíve switched channels along with it. I find the other bloggers posting stuff frequent flyers are interested in...
Especially because of the amount of rehash before you get to the meat of the post.

Try skipping the first two-thirds.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:45 pm

The problem with doing the same thing since you were 17 is that you eventually run out of material to write about and the scene you are writing about changes. It really makes no sense to book a series of flights on one-off/odd ball carriers that no one is interested in simply to have material for your blog. Maybe it's time to rethink the blog.

And "James" for me has become the most interesting writer on the blog.
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:53 pm
formerly known as Delta Points

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Especially because of the amount of rehash before you get to the meat of the post.

Try skipping the first two-thirds.
And yet one of the most successful blogs ever. Plus, since most who comment here on the BBB are clueless, there are major changes none have seen (but may see soon).
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ben uses templates to describe the inflight product he tests and reports about. If he structured his work right he could have a database that can auto write future reviews. As Koko mentioned before OMAAT is a terrific compendium on inflight seats. The other stuff he tends to write about are....
Old Dec 6, 18, 2:09 pm

Just noticed this and not sure when it changed, but OMAAT no longer has .boardingarea. in the URL. I wonder if he is going to leave the platform? I'm sure Lucky has the clout to negotiate the best deal among the Boarding Area blogs.
Old Dec 7, 18, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by kilbornr View Post
Just noticed this and not sure when it changed, but OMAAT no longer has .boardingarea. in the URL. I wonder if he is going to leave the platform? I'm sure Lucky has the clout to negotiate the best deal among the Boarding Area blogs.
Reasons why - Ben doesn't need BA, even if he was on a better deal (say 30% rather than 50%) he would still be paying at least $150,000 per year to BA; he could direct-sell more space for higher rates

Reasons why not - $150k is loose change for Ben and it drives some new readers, he would also need to add some freelance tech support

The real loss for people who go on BA is lack of revenue from home page views. My home page is 30% of views and so 30% of ad revenue. I never see the home pages of BA bloggers because I never visit them directly, I use the BA site as mega-home page equivalent. Coming off BA would see a lot more home page views from people who visited directly going forward.
Old Dec 7, 18, 6:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
VFTW and OMAAT both have a great deal going with the HOM and Randy. Should Randy ever consider to sell BA to anyone, they should have clauses in their contracts to jump ship.
Old Dec 7, 18, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
VFTW and OMAAT both have a great deal going with the HOM and Randy. Should Randy ever consider to sell BA to anyone, they should have clauses in their contracts to jump ship.
mommypoints managed to jump ship even without a BA sale, right? If so, the BA bloggers definitely don't seem to be modern-day indentured servants or worse off.
Old Dec 7, 18, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
VFTW and OMAAT both have a great deal going with the HOM and Randy.
I would put that the other way round.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: