Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingrat
I feel like I am in an Alt-right subreddit here..
either you didnt read this thread, or you didnt read alt-right (did they call it that?)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
FTC took some interesting action today - https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...early-disclose Perhaps Boarding Area, TPG and the like are next
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Perhaps Boarding Area, TPG and the like are next
Do you really think the disclosures are lacking there??
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you really think the disclosures are lacking there??
I do. A blanket "this *may* be something we make money off" in inconspicuous language, is insufficient when you have advertising masquerading as expert content or "advice". There's really no way to tell when a post is objective or a pitch to sell a particular card. It's no better than "#ad" in a string of hashtags. The ownership disclosure of TPG (or lack thereof) is deceptive.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do. A blanket "this *may* be something we make money off" in inconspicuous language, is insufficient when you have advertising masquerading as expert content or "advice".
Alas, I don't think the FTC will agree on that angle.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Alas, I don't think the FTC will agree on that angle.
The new FTC might not, but as cited before, the FTC blogger disclosure guidelines are actually pretty clear on this.

Not all BA blogs have the same practices, but the FTC says:
"As for where to place a disclosure, the guiding principle is that it has to be clear and conspicuous. The closer it is to your recommendation, the better. Putting disclosures in obscure places – for example, buried on an ABOUT US or GENERAL INFO page, behind a poorly labeled hyperlink or in a “terms of service” agreement – isn’t good enough. Neither is placing it below your review or below the link to the online retailer so readers would have to keep scrolling after they finish reading. Consumers should be able to notice the disclosure easily."

Some specifics?

- Referencing "affiliate links" is not enough - "Consumers might not understand that “affiliate link” means that the person placing the link is getting paid for purchases through the link."

- Disclosures "Should be easy to read and in a shade that stands out from the background." (Many BA blogs have it in a paler shade than the rest of the text.)

I just randomly went to one BA blog that violates both of the last 2 requirements:
http://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/...ts-free-night/

It is not alone.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

id think there will be changes at FTC.. [after election]

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
id think there will be changes at FTC..
While I agree there will be changes, I don't think this is an area that will be at the top of the list. There isn't an influential lobby of bloggers. Moreover, as a multi-member independent commission, it's more likely that priorities will change rather than 180s on policy. You typically see a lot more technical assistance and less enforcement. There hasnt been much enforcement here anyway.

Finally, remember that the FTC is hardly the only player here. Most states have similar deceptive practices laws, and State AGs frequently use them.

Regardless, the main point of my posting this was to rebut the suggestion that my position about Boarding Area's insufficient disclosures was somehow extreme. Even if the FTC rescinded all of this guidance tomorrow, there's still a decent argument that the practices of many Boarding Area blogs (and other blogs) are insufficient as a matter of business ethics.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:45 pm

As a follow-up, a study jut came out that found that, indeed, the average customer can't tell the difference between editorial content and ads like the bulk of credit card posts.

Going Native: Can Consumers Recognize Native Advertising? Does it Matter?

The abstract: "Native advertising, which matches the look and feel of unpaid news and editorials, has exploded online. The Federal Trade Commission has long required advertising to be clearly and conspicuously labeled, and it recently reiterated that these requirements apply to native advertising. We explore whether respondents can distinguish native advertising and “regular” ads from unpaid content, using 16 native ads, 5 “regular” ads, and 8 examples of news/editorial content, drawn from multiple sources and platforms. Overall, only 37% of respondents thought that the tested examples of native advertising were paid content, compared to 81% for “regular” advertising, with variation by platform, advertiser, and labeling. Modest labeling changes materially increased the number of respondents that correctly recognized that native ads are paid content – but even these improved results fell well short of those for “regular” advertising. We also explored labeling preferences and self-reported concern about native advertising. Our findings indicate that native advertising involves a significant risk of deception which self-regulation has not addressed."
Old May 6, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and most magazines, including robb report, etc

paid media and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertorial
Old May 6, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
As a follow-up, a study jut came out that found that, indeed, the average customer can't tell the difference between editorial content and ads like the bulk of credit card posts.

Going Native: Can Consumers Recognize Native Advertising? Does it Matter?

The abstract: "Native advertising, which matches the look and feel of unpaid news and editorials, has exploded online. The Federal Trade Commission has long required advertising to be clearly and conspicuously labeled, and it recently reiterated that these requirements apply to native advertising. We explore whether respondents can distinguish native advertising and “regular” ads from unpaid content, using 16 native ads, 5 “regular” ads, and 8 examples of news/editorial content, drawn from multiple sources and platforms. Overall, only 37% of respondents thought that the tested examples of native advertising were paid content, compared to 81% for “regular” advertising, with variation by platform, advertiser, and labeling. Modest labeling changes materially increased the number of respondents that correctly recognized that native ads are paid content – but even these improved results fell well short of those for “regular” advertising. We also explored labeling preferences and self-reported concern about native advertising. Our findings indicate that native advertising involves a significant risk of deception which self-regulation has not addressed."
Makes me think of an episode of South Park from the 2015 season titled "Sponsored Content" that dealt very cleverly - and hilariously - with online advertising, clickbait, etc..
Old May 7, 2017, 10:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its amazing the bloggers are not working with OTAs to get links to their site. Every time a decent fare would be out they could make money left right and center. Hotel hustle for example takes a cut from every hotel booking made there...
Old May 7, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its amazing the bloggers are not working with OTAs to get links to their site. Every time a decent fare would be out they could make money left right and center. Hotel hustle for example takes a cut from every hotel booking made there...
i think that'd lead to anarchy in short order since people wouldn't get points or stay credit.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Expedia only pays 1% on flights so you're not getting rich that way.

My weighted average commission from BA is 0.66%.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
i think that'd lead to anarchy in short order since people wouldn't get points or stay credit.
No issues there, the blogger just gets a % cut, no influence on miles/stay credit.

Originally Posted by Raffles
Expedia only pays 1% on flights so you're not getting rich that way.
My weighted average commission from BA is 0.66%.
Then you have a bad deal. New portals pay very heavily, established airlines either a flat fee per booking in economy and a decent percentage on C/F bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.