The points and miles blog business model

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Alexa isn't perfect but I'd venture to guess fairly accurate on sites they deem large enough to graph. This one tells a similar story.

http://tinyurl.com/kk4xrm3
I did a little tweak and check it out: http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?w=400...pointsguy.com&

Even though FTG started out way earlier, TPG and MMS seems to enjoy a huge advantage now. Time to contemplate.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by guoguo914
I did a little tweak and check it out: http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?w=400...pointsguy.com&

Even though FTG started out way earlier, TPG and MMS seems to enjoy a huge advantage now. Time to contemplate.
The 'faces' of MMS and TPG are the owners of said sites, the 'face' of FTG is no longer the owner of that site.

Data without perspective is like contemplating why a black hole is black. Best done on weed.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Talking about weed, the "This is the End" movie is absolutely hilarious. Then again we are talking about Seth Rogen
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:06 pm

Alexa isn't perfect but I'd venture to guess fairly accurate on sites they deem large enough to graph. This one tells a similar story.

http://tinyurl.com/kk4xrm3
Had a chat with someone last night about their site. I am current around the 150K Alexa mark, they are currently around the 250K Alexa mark. And they have 10x the readership I have. Just for some perspective.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:36 pm

Data for 150K and 250K sites probably isn't credible enough to draw conclusions. I suspect that is why Alexa won't even graph / show historical data unless you are ~100K.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:34 pm

Data for 150K and 250K sites probably isn't credible enough to draw conclusions. I suspect that is why Alexa won't even graph / show historical data unless you are ~100K.
I graph. They don't.

EDIT - Your site would be a good metric - you are close to their Alexa score than mine, and uncharted. What are your Uniques and PVs? I'm at around 7K Uniques and 15K PVs per month with Alexa 157K as of today.

I really think Alexa is Kookie.

Last edited by brooklynmatt; Jun 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:46 pm

Maybe you are confusing me with someone else. My hiking site averages slightly over 1K uniques per day. Page views aren't comparable to a blog since it's a forum site. Alexa rank is 230K (global). Nowhere near 100K.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:59 pm

Maybe you are confusing me with someone else. My hiking site averages slightly over 1K uniques per day. Page views aren't comparable to a blog since it's a forum site. Alexa rank is 230K (global). Nowhere near 100K.
Nope that was exactly my point.

Lets do it this way to be clear:

Me:
Alexa 150k
Uniques 7K

You:
Alexa 230K
Uniques 30K

The Dude:
Alexa 250K
Uniques 60K

Make sense, about Alexa not making sense?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I had google analytics when I hosted my site at Google and visited it twice, so many numbers. I visited again today and apparently to them my site is dead ever since I moved to Wordpress. Which tells me I need to find a way to add GA to my WP site (hosted at godaddy).

On the contrary, Alexa shows: 422,901 World 72,901 US These two numbers have been getting lower progressively since I started blogging...which I think it is good.

So...at what point do I have Bent Offers and a Jaime Dimon staffer come begging offering me their affiliate links?

Word.

Last edited by gpapadop; Jun 27, 2013 at 10:14 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I had google analytics when I hosted my site at Google and visited it twice, so many numbers. I visited again today and apparently to them my site is dead ever since I moved to Wordpress. Which tells me I need to find a way to add GA to my WP site (hosted at godaddy).

On the contrary, Alexa shows: 422,901 World 72,901 US These two numbers have been getting lower progressively since I started blogging...which I think it is good.

So...at what point do I have Bent Offers and a Jaime Dimon staffer come begging offering me their affiliate links?

Word.
You need to add the Analytics tracking code to your header again, depending on your theme and plugin you can do it easily - Yoast is great for a plugin...

Had a great chat with Bent Offers on Tuesday, actually let rip on my guy for his BS... you would have loved it.

He was trying to tell me that I could get the NFL card (for any team no less) with $100 cashback signup bonus. I had to cut him off, several times, with the message, pretty much verbatim 'stop blowing smoke up my nether-region'

Told me that Chase was down to 25 affiliate sites (including their own site creditcards.com) and that they had actually even pulled the Discover card from 1000 bloggers that day.

He told me that the card companies were looking for 25-50 successful conversions each per month.

2hrs later I met a blogger from BA who told me that they pulled his Discover card - oh the humanity!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Nope that was exactly my point.

Lets do it this way to be clear:

Me:
Alexa 150k
Uniques 7K

You:
Alexa 230K
Uniques 30K

The Dude:
Alexa 250K
Uniques 60K

Make sense, about Alexa not making sense?
My site and "the dude" make sense. There's more to the Alexa ranking than just uniques and my site would have a lot more page views. Since you have low uniques, I would venture to guess you are doing something to manipulate page views to get that ranking. Your alexa ranking does not make sense. The point I was making was that Alexa provides reasonable BS check on claims made about a sub 100K site.

www.sitesell.com/alexa.html

What is Alexa great for?

Answer... Comparing how you are doing against your competitors. The odds are your visitors and their visitors are similar in nature so they likely use Alexa to a similar degree.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:14 pm

My site and "the dude" make sense. There's more to the Alexa ranking than just uniques and my site would have a lot more page views. Since you have low uniques, I would venture to guess you are doing something to manipulate page views to get that ranking. Your alexa ranking does not make sense. The point I was making was that Alexa provides reasonable BS check on claims made about a sub 100K site.

www.sitesell.com/alexa.html
Why does it make sense that a guy getting twice as many uniques as you is rated further behind?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:26 pm

Because my site is a forum, so a given unique visitor browses more pages than they would a blog.

As far as your Alexa ranking, here is your answer:

Where Visitors Go on Saverocity.com

mail.saverocity.com: 9.10%
Clearly you are heavily influencing your Alexa score as you account for 10% of the traffic.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am on about 2,500 uniques per day and sit at 350,000 globally ....
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:32 am

Because my site is a forum, so a given unique visitor browses more pages than they would a blog.

As far as your Alexa ranking, here is your answer:

Clearly you are heavily influencing your Alexa score as you account for 10% of the traffic.
I visit the mail URL something like 4-5 times per week.

Perhaps based upon the numbers here and Raffles latest comment you could see that Alexa isn't as accurate as you were led to believe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.