Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
A million desktop clicks would get you that.

1 million clicks, less 30% lost to blocking software, of which 50% are mobile which pays peanuts, would leave you with about half of that. Before the BA take, if you're on BA.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EP
Excuse my ignorance -- so if ad blocker software is used, one gets to read the content and the blogger gets no credit? Thx

Originally Posted by Raffles
A million desktop clicks would get you that.

1 million clicks, less 30% lost to blocking software, of which 50% are mobile which pays peanuts, would leave you with about half of that. Before the BA take, if you're on BA.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If all the ads are pay per click - and you never click - it makes no difference. If the ads are pay per view then obviously they are not viewed ....

But if you are reading the site, it is morally wrong in my view to use an ad blocker. BA - and indeed all other FF sites - are very well behaved in not having intrusive ads.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:49 am

If all the ads are pay per click - and you never click - it makes no difference. If the ads are pay per view then obviously they are not viewed ....

But if you are reading the site, it is morally wrong in my view to use an ad blocker. BA - and indeed all other FF sites - are very well behaved in not having intrusive ads.
I'm not sure if this was meant to be ironic or not, but I laughed anyway.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:58 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

I "basically" agree. As long as the user experience is positive. "Morally wrong," seems a tad too serious for me. I reserve that description for things other than reading blog/websites.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Sites that exclusively finance themselves thru ad views/clicks (like flyertalk.com) are quite concerned and offended by the fact that people read it using adblocking add ons. Alternatives are not easy as ads free service needs to be invoiced in a complex way and you loose the traffic stats you need to get better ad revenue from the advert farms.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Me too.... how dare people be that amoral to use an ad blocker.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Careful you don't end up in hell with the rest of the blocker users plus those of us who fast forward through TV commercials, skip Youtube ads, change the station during radio commercial breaks, and watch but don't donate to PBS!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

If Boarding Area imposed a modicum of ethical standards on its bloggers, that might have more credibility.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Adam1222
If Boarding Area imposed a modicum of ethical standards on its bloggers, that might have more credibility.
I'd be happy if they imposed a modicum of writing ability on their bloggers.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I'd be happy if they imposed a modicum of writing ability on their bloggers.
Alas, it's far harder to train people to write well than to give them a list of basic standards of integrity you expect them to comply with.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Turning a blind eye to the intrusive pop up ads I guess?

Beyond that inconsistency, I cannot stop alternatively laughing and shaking my head at this comment.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Turning a blind eye to the intrusive pop up ads I guess?

Beyond that inconsistency, I cannot stop alternatively laughing and shaking my head at this comment.
Tell us what you do for a living, we'll think of a scenario where your customers can suddenly find a way to avoid having to pay you for whatever you do, then you can tell us how you'd feel about it. Deal?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Tell us what you do for a living, we'll think of a scenario where your customers can suddenly find a way to avoid having to pay you for whatever you do, then you can tell us how you'd feel about it. Deal?
Every business has to deal with breakage, returns, even shoplifting.

If a business relies on 'leave a dollar' business model then it is the model that is broken. That's precisely why miles points and premium cabin bloggers have moved to product placement with affiliates. Just like TV has moved from commercials that get the fast forward treatment to featuring Taco Bell's new triple taco chalupa borito in the script itself. @:-)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Every business has to deal with breakage, returns, even shoplifting.

If a business relies on 'leave a dollar' business model then it is the model that is broken. That's precisely why miles points and premium cabin bloggers have moved to product placement with affiliates. Just like TV has moved from commercials that get the fast forward treatment to featuring Taco Bell's new triple taco chalupa borito in the script itself. @:-)
It's an apt comparison to broadcast TV (or radio even more so) in fact. It's not like a shoe salesman, or insurance, or a car dealership, etc. where an overt purchase must be made in order for the consumer to "consume" the offered product. A radio station, broadcast TV station, or blogger is putting their product out there for the world, with no direct exchange of cash from the consumer to the seller necessary, with income indirectly from advertisers.

To go into any of those types of businesses you'd have to realize that some percentage of listeners/viewers (perhaps many) will fast forward the commercials, change the radio station, or block ads. Although anecdotally, most people I know don't use blockers or even know what they are, whereas I don't know anyone who won't fast forward or TV commercials (or go to the bathroom, get a snack, etc during commercials).

While I understand the feeling/frustration of the bloggers, I think "morally wrong" is a bit much - that term, to me, goes with things in life much more serious than web ads.

I will turn off blockers for good quality sites that rely on ads (and the ads aren't intrusive)...though for the likes of VFTW, OMAAT, MMS, etc? No way - they get plenty of income from other means IMHO. If that means I'm a bad guy, then so be it.

Besides, aren't we reminded on occasion by some folks on here that the P&M bloggers are just doing this for love of the hobby, to help out friends & relatives, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.