Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
This passage from the FTC Q&A on endorsements may be somewhat helpful:

For a review in a newspaper, on TV, or on a website with similar content, it’s usually clear to the audience that the reviewer didn’t buy the product being reviewed. It’s the reviewer’s job to write his or her opinion and no one thinks they bought the product – for example, a book or movie ticket – themselves. But on a personal blog, a social networking page, or in similar media, the reader may not expect the reviewer to have a relationship with the company whose products are mentioned. Disclosure of that relationship helps readers decide how much weight to give the review.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Forget 'ponts,' call her mommyschwag: Giving my family the world (for free), one schwag opportunity at a time. ^
I'd say give her a break until she actually reviews the place. Compared to all the other big bloggers, I'd say Mommy Points is one of the most honest and upfront about disclosures. In fact my biggest complaint would be that the style of travel shown in the site is not even remotely close to "free" as the title suggests, with paid suite upgrades, spa visits, kids camps, resort activities, mileage/mattress runs. Those "free" breakfasts and "free" upgrades are the rewards for thousands of dollars of spend. It would be better advertised as "luxuries for less".
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:05 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I'd say give her a break until she actually reviews the place. Compared to all the other big bloggers, I'd say Mommy Points is one of the most honest and upfront about disclosures. In fact my biggest complaint would be that the style of travel shown in the site is not even remotely close to "free" as the title suggests, with paid suite upgrades, spa visits, kids camps, resort activities, mileage/mattress runs. Those "free" breakfasts and "free" upgrades are the rewards for thousands of dollars of spend. It would be better advertised as "luxuries for less".
Thank you. I am a big fan of disclosure. No reason not to disclose. Only bad things can come from going down that trail, in my opinion. When I get a chance to write about the ski trip, it will certainly contain disclosures. I do think there is a balance to keep there as things can also appear more sponsored than they are. For example, I have had readers tell me they assumed that I was paid to host giveaways when that is not the case.

I also think there is validity in the second part of your comment. I do the "free" travel thing a chunk of the time, but I also am a sucker for "luxuries for less" in my own travels, well and in life in general I guess. Though I'm from East Texas, so I call it "fancy on the cheap".
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks:20470441
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Forget 'ponts,' call her mommyschwag: Giving my family the world (for free), one schwag opportunity at a time. ^

Just going a little off topic again, but nothing is ever free unless any of the bloggers have found a method to make air tickets and hotel reservations magically spawn within one's mailbox. The concept of opportunity cost is constantly ignored by most of the blogosphere and anyone who is naive enough to actually believe in free travel probably isn't doing themselves a favour by getting into the points/miles game to begin with.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Just going a little off topic again, but nothing is ever free unless any of the bloggers have found a method to make air tickets and hotel reservations magically spawn within one's mailbox. The concept of opportunity cost is constantly ignored by most of the blogosphere and anyone who is naive enough to actually believe in free travel probably isn't doing themselves a favour by getting into the points/miles game to begin with.
I think the free travel part comes from the credit card sign ups.. 50,000 miles for an AA card, use 40,000 AA off peak coach roundtrip to Europe, but just pay taxes (not free).

The free hotels part comes from those 2 free hyatt nights

then again, food, incidentals from hotels, shows, entertainment, transportation is not free...

there is no such thing as free really...
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
what do you guys think about the bloggers who fly First/Biz and stay in cheap hostels?

redeeming 100k+ for first/biz and then hosteling for the rest of your stay
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jammanxc
what do you guys think about the bloggers who fly First/Biz and stay in cheap hostels?

Some talk about that a month ago here. Read starting around this post.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Thank you. I am a big fan of disclosure. No reason not to disclose.
Unless someone discloses ballpark referral for the AMEX Biz Plat on your blog.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.

Long before blogs were in vogue, I was approached by many friends and wanted me to published my tips on the internet and/or write a book). I had my hands full with managing my own rental properties, working full time & travelling! (Note: I am not a blogger--now it is too saturated. I would add very little value to what most experienced travelers already know!

I used to do stay in hostels alot before I got married in 2006. Most of the time, I would buy a coach ticket and upgrade to biz. (also burned 80/100K miles on occasion for biz). For me, paying the least amount of $ yet the hostel is in a nice area of town was important.

My wife dislikes hostels & "crash pads" so we stay in 2.5*-4* depending on the property. When I travel alone, I will still stay in hostels after a biz class airline trip.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.

Duplicate posting.

Last edited by chemist661; Mar 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reason: dup post
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:37 pm

I give the break as a starting point. Until, for example, a blogger shows up on FT and posts a "helpful" response promoting three affiliate cards with their blog in the signature, mentioning that the newbie should do further reading on blogs.

It is easy to give disclosures where obvious - like a company saying "I follow Sarbanes Oxley." I judge by actions, not words. I like TPG because his newbie guide gives a balanced view.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jammanxc:20470573

I wouldn't do that myself but have nothing against those that do, because the difference between hotels is nowhere near as significant as the difference between first/business and coach on an airliner.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Thank you. I am a big fan of disclosure. No reason not to disclose.
Do you consider adequate disclosure if it is in smaller print somewhere on the website that is not very easy to find and nowhere on the body of the post? I think certainly not. Some bloggers do that (not you) and they can blame the lawyers convienently.

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
The concept of opportunity cost is constantly ignored
Absolutely. There is a blog with the title "Travel is Free"...no it's not!

what do you guys think about the bloggers who fly First/Biz and stay in cheap hostels? redeeming 100k+ for first/biz and then hosteling for the rest of your stay
Confused? Double personalities? Actually, I find it quite odd but who am I to say if they enjoy doing this, everyone is different!

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
It is easy to give disclosures where obvious - like a company saying "I follow Sarbanes Oxley." I judge by actions, not words. I like TPG because his newbie guide gives a balanced view.
Whaaaat?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:30 pm

Whaaaat? [/QUOTE]

Speaking comparatively. The newbie guide explains the issues of redeeming, versus "there are other sites that tell you how to redeem the miles that you earn through my site. So good luck with that."
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Just to be clear: I was paying a compliment, not leveling a criticism!

I am constantly amazed and impressed (not to mention a little jealous of) the schwag that the Tommys and Garys and bloggers have bestowed upon them by the travel industry. Free travel and free status sure do beat the hell out of a few measly points or miles! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.