Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I was hoping to find out about more blogs on this thread but it seems like i'm hitting all the biggies. Alot of the bloggers were at the Chicago Seminars and give freely of their expertise. I would be happy to repay them by applying for credit cards through their links. Although it is not my first read of the day, Mommy Points has been great for alerting me to shopping deals. I earned a ton of points this Christmas. Keep up the good work everyone.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: IHG, Choice Hotels, Hyatt -Plat, Hilton, Carlson - Gold, BWR - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Well for me I can say Flyertalk helped me in 2011 amass over 1.2 million frequent flyer miles for me and my wife and two sons (total combined, we use them amongst ourselves). Without the posts from other posters/readers I wouldn't have known about all the wonderful deals that we took advantage of. Now we are waiting for the Chase Marriot 70k offer (found here), I received mine yesterday and the family is pending. Thank you Flyertalk and all the contibutors and fellow flyers. Happy New Year
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I tend to read:
viewfromthewing
onemilesatatime
frugaltravelguy
thepointsguy

every morning.
Same.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:56 pm

This afternoon View from the Wing posted about getting "2500 Free Citi Thank You Points".

http://www.boardingarea.com/blogs/vi...nk-you-points/

Before discussing how to get the points, the first half of the blog post waxed poetic about the benefits of the Citi Thank You Premier Card, followed by referral links. I'm not sure how a sales pitch for that Citi card is relevant to getting "2500 Free Citi Thank You Points". Anyone who doesn't already have a Thank You card is unlikely to get one in time for the free points. Also, the offer had already been posted on numerous deal sites, and was dead by the time Gary posted it.

I commented something to the effect, "Looks like it's dead, but you can still apply for the card, lol".

Either I imagined posting that or Gary deleted my comment. Regardless, I think it's pretty sad to see so much content being driven by credit card referrals. It seems any chance there is to pimp a credit card, it gets pimped by some bloggers.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:22 pm

Especially TY points out of all of them... I've never been a fan of those cards as TY points have a fixed value and do not require any creativity when redeeming them.

IMO it's okay to have referral links, as long as it's complimented by quality content.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by HikerT
This afternoon View from the Wing posted about getting "2500 Free Citi Thank You Points".

Before discussing how to get the points, the first half of the blog post waxed poetic about the benefits of the Citi Thank You Premier Card, followed by referral links. I'm not sure how a sales pitch for that Citi card is relevant to getting "2500 Free Citi Thank You Points". Anyone who doesn't already have a Thank You card is unlikely to get one in time for the free points. Also, the offer had already been posted on numerous deal sites, and was dead by the time Gary posted it.

I commented something to the effect, "Looks like it's dead, but you can still apply for the card, lol".

Either I imagined posting that or Gary deleted my comment. Regardless, I think it's pretty sad to see so much content being driven by credit card referrals. It seems any chance there is to pimp a credit card, it gets pimped by some bloggers.
waxed poetic about the benefits? maybe I read a different blog....
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:54 pm

Well, let me illustrate. The signal to noise ratio is about 33%.

I cancelled my Citibank Thank You Points-earning card about three years ago when they last devalued the program, I used to get 3 cents a point in value by booking domestic business class tickets then cancelling and retaining a credit that I would use towards other travel. By booking Delta tickets, I’d be able to split up the credit into multiple itineraries (and even use the credits not just for myself but – after the first ticket re-issue – for others as well).

Back in the day Citi Thank You Points were even more valuable than that, since they didn’t cap the price of tickets they’d buy for you…

.. but when the program basically became 1.25% cash back towards travel I became a whole lot less interested.

However, in my December credit card churn I picked up a Citi Thank You Premier Card with a 50,000 point bonus after $2500 in spend within 3 months and fee waived the first year. That’s worth about $625 towards a paid airline ticket. (Disclosure: if you use my link to apply that does earn me a referral credit.)

As a result, I have a Thank You Points card again. And
it just so happens that there’s an offer of free points currently when you log into your account. So if you happen to have a Thank You Points card, you can get 2500 free points for connecting on Facebook.

They say they’re giving away 10 million points, and that the offer runs through February 3rd or “while supplies last.” So presumably they could pull the offer after 4000 people take advantage of it.

The Facebook point sharing application that you sign up for appears to allow you to transfer any amount of Thank You Points to your Facebook friends accounts for free, something you can do by phone of course but this provides a self service way to do it (the system suggests that points transferred this way do expire if not redeemed). It may be worth connecting on Facebook for this feature alone, with the 2500 points as a bonus.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Captcarryon.com has some good insights
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)

@HikerT: Feel free to comment on mine anytime. I promise not to delete them.

I really don't understand why bloggers would be deleting comments. As was said long ago "There is no bad publicity except an obituary notice". If you are commenting on my site, that means you are reading my site. That is what I want. Maybe I need to start being more controversial in my writing.

@belfordrocks: As to thank you points, I agree, they are usually the least interesting points, but can be still worth it if you can get them cheap. e.g., the Citi Froward giving 5/$ on restaurants. I prefer UR points, but they aren't worth 2.5x a TY point to me (though could be to someone planning a big last minute first class international trip on United).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:59 pm

Add deltagoldflyer to the list of those who censor their blog comments. Sad because he's got a pretty good blog. I took issue with the recommendation to apply for the Chase Freedom at the current 20K bonus. Perhaps I could have been a little less direct, but I think they were valid points.
Add Mommy Points to the list who censor their blog comments.

With all these new blogs popping up.. I can't tell if they are just running out of material to post on a daily basis and need to talk about credit cards, or they are doing it for the money. I have to wonder when you post more than one story a week about credit cards when no new information is given about them (like a new credit card offer with a big sign up bonus).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:06 am

Well, I must apologize to Gary. He emailed me and said he did not delete the comment and has only deleted 1 comment ever (about his family). Not sure what happened, maybe a glitch in the posting system, but I should have contacted him offline before jumping to conclusions. I was also a bit rough on him as far as the credit card referral link, but it did seem like the credit card got first priority over discussing how to get the free 2500 points. But I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and here I overreacted.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:40 am

Well, I must apologize to Gary. He emailed me and said he did not delete the comment and has only deleted 1 comment ever (about his family). Not sure what happened, maybe a glitch in the posting system, but I should have contacted him offline before jumping to conclusions. I was also a bit rough on him as far as the credit card referral link, but it did seem like the credit card got first priority over discussing how to get the free 2500 points. But I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and here I overreacted.
Thanks for posting that. It was disturbing briefly to think Gary was deleting critical comments. Glad to know it wasn't happening.

I actually read the blog post a bit different from how you did. TY points were a boondoggle back in the day, as some of the old timers know. I read the blog almost as explaining why he still had the card. Sort of -- I know a bunch of you don't think of this card much any more now that the days of boondoggle are long past, but it's actually come back with a decent offer and that's why I have it again. If he'd just started with the 2500 points thing, it might have led to the question "why is he holding on to that dinosaur"?

And, yes, there is clearly some pimping, on all the blogs, but the reality is that since the 50k United card and the 100k BA card, and everything that followed -- from the 75k to 100k citi bonuses to the amazing cap1 deal -- credit cards are the gorillas in the room right now when it comes to miles accumulation. I think frugaltravel guy sort of led the way on bringing churning or quasi-churning and credit protection to the fore for average people, and it's only natural that much of blogs would follow this lead and discuss them so much. Or, put simply, even if there weren't referral opportunities for the bloggers, I think they would still discuss them, much as we all do.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:43 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
lkar agree with the comment

just take a peek at page one of the mile buzz forum. credit cards are not only the gorilla in the room but elephant, hippo and cow as well. where else can we accumulate so many miles so easily just by taking care of our credit?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:38 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Add Mommy Points to the list who censor their blog comments.

With all these new blogs popping up.. I can't tell if they are just running out of material to post on a daily basis and need to talk about credit cards, or they are doing it for the money. I have to wonder when you post more than one story a week about credit cards when no new information is given about them (like a new credit card offer with a big sign up bonus).
Astrophsx, I can say with 100% certainty that I have never not published a comment. I know that there have been some glitches here and there with the BoardingArea server where I have lost groups of comments (as an example this happened around Christmas Eve), but I have never not published a comment intentionally. I have edited about two comments that were being ugly towards other posters or bloggers, but the comments still ran just without some of the ugly words.

I have no problem with people not agreeing with everything I post, but it is not my style to censor comments. If you go through some of my posts, you will see some comments that are not favorable. No big deal. If you have more specifics of what you are referring to, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by Mommy Points; Jan 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Member

Well, my website does not have a discussion page, but my readers do send me a lot of e-mail. I depend on these for much of my information. I am both amazed and very early in my project my front page publication of a couple of particularly nasty messages, along with all of the details of the routing and origin of them (in case someone has something to say to the writers) discouraged this type of thing. But instead, I like to think that my readers simply like what I am doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.