Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Originally Posted by metoo
My favorite is Flyertalk.com, the site I first started. No personal gain and greed for trying to sell me their credit card link.
Flyertalk is a fantastic place, but make no mistake it is a business owned by Internet Brands.

Have you opened up TalkMail, Flyertalk's newsletter, recently? You don't just find ads on this website, and in their e-newsletter. You find editorial trying to sell you their credit card link. E.g. from Feb 26th:

Frugal Travel Guy's Top Reward Credit Card Pick

Rick Ingersoll, also known as "The Frugal Travel Guy," is an expert in frugal traveling and flying for free. His mission is to help people see the world at affordable prices, just as he's done for himself. Here's Rick's review of a current top recommended card with excellent signup bonuses and benefits:

Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
You receive 50,000 points with a relatively low $1,000 spend within your first three months. Plus you get a free night certificate for a Category 1-4 property. This is a great sign-up bonus. And there's no first year fee and no foreign transaction fees. Learn more about the card.
You'll note that at the time Flyertalk is trying to sell you a credit card there's a better offer of 70k points as a signup bonus discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html

So they're trying to sell you the commission-link, and not sharing that there's a better offer available. That's probably the #1 gripe many here have had about some less scrupulous blogs!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:58 am

Flyertalk is a fantastic place, but make no mistake it is a business owned by Internet Brands.

Have you opened up TalkMail, Flyertalk's newsletter, recently? You don't just find ads on this website, and in their e-newsletter. You find editorial trying to sell you their credit card link. E.g. from Feb 26th: is a fantastic place, but make no mistake it is a business owned by Internet Brands.

Have you opened up TalkMail, Flyertalk's newsletter, recently? You don't just find ads on this website, and in their e-newsletter. You find editorial trying to sell you their credit card link. E.g. from Feb 26th:

NO, don't subscribe. I am referring to only this website...flyertalk.com
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And if you just read the forums and never go to the homepage it's of no consequence.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I subscribe to several of these blogs newsletters so I get the current information in my email. I don't remember (or have time) to go to the blogs each day/week but can quickly skim their newsletters.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
One just got me a nice shiny HH Gold for zero stays :-)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
The hosting costs are trivial. I even offer it for free for anyone who wants to start a blog. The hard part about keeping a blog going is not the design or hosting work. It is producing the content.

Always has been.
Couldn't agree more. In that regard, note the song here:

http://first2board.com/themrpickles/...-code-for-you/

I am sure you can appreciate that First2Board is a business and as such the costs of the servers, electricity, software and consultants have to be paid.
So first2board pays for electricity on top of server cost? LOL, that's a new one.

First2Board is strictly free of credit card affiliate links and points-earning schemes.
I’m not sure I understand the point of disallowing credit card affiliate links while allowing the embedding of affiliate links for hotels.com or pandering to readers to click on one's amazon banner?

Commented on this yesterday but still hasn't been "approved" by First2Censor while other comments have. Discussion seems as open as it is on DeltaPoints, MileValue, FTG, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by RTW1
And if you just read the forums and never go to the homepage it's of no consequence.
This. Especially considering there are several threads within FT describing why you should almost never click on one of these silly ads.

I think (as described above), affiliate links are of little consequence if the content of the blog is good and the blogger is not misleading readers towards low-bonus offerings. I've seen both - the blogger that pushes the reader towards crummy bonuses because that's what is on their site and the blogger who outright tells their reader to find a link elsewhere because their bonus is insulting in comparison.

I very recently started blogging because my fiance told me a needed someone to talk to about flying other than her, and I'll hopefully be able to continue it, as it's something I enjoy. If I were ever to be offered affiliate ads, I don't think I would turn them down but I certainly wouldn't push products and services that I know aren't the best you can get.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>If I were ever to be offered affiliate ads, I don't think I would turn them down but I certainly wouldn't push products and services that I know aren't the best you can get.

I think I may have heard this one before

Nothing personal Timmy! And welcome to this giant time sucking blogging hobby!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by HikerT
I’m not sure I understand the point of disallowing credit card affiliate links while allowing the embedding of affiliate links for hotels.com or pandering to readers to click on one's amazon banner?

Commented on this yesterday but still hasn't been "approved" by First2Censor while other comments have. Discussion seems as open as it is on DeltaPoints, MileValue, FTG, etc.
I think the point is that credit card affiliate links on travel blogs lead to a fairly obvious conflict of interest -- people are obviously led to assume that CC's are recommended on the basis of merit, and often don't realize that there's a financial incentive to the blogger beyond that. No such issues with an Amazon banner -- nobody is going to start posting about how buying from Amazon is critical to a miles and points strategy.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I think the point is that credit card affiliate links on travel blogs lead to a fairly obvious conflict of interest -- people are obviously led to assume that CC's are recommended on the basis of merit, and often don't realize that there's a financial incentive to the blogger beyond that. No such issues with an Amazon banner -- nobody is going to start posting about how buying from Amazon is critical to a miles and points strategy.
Right, the banner ads are no different from any other website and I don't see any conflict of interest as in the affiliate CC links, which is the main gripe. I'm going to buy on Amazon no matter what, so it's no skin off my nose to click on their banner to access Amazon. Certainly doesn't alter my miles choices or strategy.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by gpapadop

I think I may have heard this one before

Nothing personal Timmy! And welcome to this giant time sucking blogging hobby!

No offense taken - I completely understand hesitancy to accept statements like these.

I also have a hard time with the rules of disclosure, as some people think it's enough to simply say "I make money off of these things" and then write whatever they'd like.
Frankly, this is seen in the medical world (my profession) too. People think it's acceptable to simply disclose that they receive money from a particular company to give a talk. Following that they may irresponsibly advocate for the use of a product or service, but people are misled into thinking it's unbiased professional opinion instead of the advertising of a drug company.

There's truly an appropriate middle ground, but many people have difficulty finding it. If someone was giving you money to push their product, could you direct people away if there was a better product/offer around?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Ah, but it's already influenced content. You see, the post is about a hotels.com coupon, right? A secret coupon. With an affiliate link. But wait, here's my amazon banner you can click on too...
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Couldn't agree more. In that regard, note the song here:

http://first2board.com/themrpickles/...-code-for-you/

So first2board pays for electricity on top of server cost? LOL, that's a new one.

Well they're still with flexoffers... I guess revenue is not as high but then at least they can pay for hosting costs.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
All the blogs are now pushing the Frequent Traveler University. I think it's a nice idea to meet others and such, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not just a bunch of marketing and another excuse to sell their 'brand'.
Bear in mind that presenters get some or all of their expenses for attending FTUs reimbursed. So if a blogger is a presenter, blogging about the FTU is a way of saying 'thanks for the free trip!' Or, looked at from another perspective, 'please pay to go to this so I can get a free trip!' @:-)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:55 pm

These seminars are focused primarily on reeling in as many noobs as possible. It's a way for bloggers to promote their blogs. I'd venture to guess most bloggers who present at these seminars would happily pay their way (if not more) for the promotional benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.