Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-BNE-TPE-BNE-SYD PL Class

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
SYD-BNE-TPE-BNE-SYD PL Class

Well just returned from this trip and I have to say BR did impress in most aspects. Service delivery from ground and cabin crew was superb in terms of efficiency and friendliness and very very gracious-how refreshing after QF for so long.

Food was good but could have been better, IFE worked very well and while not the choice of most AVOD systems was more than adequate and it never crashed on either flight I took.

The cabins are in excellent condition considering the age of the A330's and seemed only 1-2 yrs old at most not the 6 or so they really are.

The seats are still being sold as state of the art and the PL cabin as first at business prices- I think that now needs revisiting; the 160 degree angle is only just passable.

The only thing I disliked and made it known was my rtn flight (Dep TPE 2200 arrives BNE 0840). I could not for the life of me get any sleep due to continual noise from galley and lights from galley which were dimmed but not turned off. DO NOT sit in row 6(1st row of J cabin on A330) for this night flight. The other annoying thing was cabin crew crunching plastic bags and opening the storage cuppboards in front of row 6 seats to access supplies.

Why BR doesnt have the lights closest to the J cabin, above galley/J cabin dividing curtain, on seperate switches beats me;(GF did but not sure of QF does) they hardly need those lights to work in main galley area. For the record I cannot tolerate sleeping masks which are supplied in a very basic amenity kit along with slippers which are very comfy but I'd still prefer socks. (I took my own sleep suit and socks from previous trips as I knew these wouldnt be available on BR)

I also read someplace that there were no PC's in the evergreen lounge; well the business centre had 5 and all worked well with a nice touch of a fridge with drinks in it saving a trip to the servery area which is a bit of a walk away. I did walk into the Diamond Club lounge and other than its open air ambience was really no better than the other lounges physically. I guess the booze and food options as well as a grand piano are the differences.

All in all would def fly BR again esp at the bargain prices. This is definately a 1st rate carrier. Hope this helps any aussies using BR to TPE.

CJ
Old May 22, 2009, 12:42 am

Programs: CX Dia, BA gold, LH Sen
I would say you a very close to the truth and the problem with Taiwan cariers seems to be they have no sense about when people want to sleep, it always appears that when they decide its time to serve food no one is allowed to sleep- regardless of what you tell them, even putting a notice on your seat wont stop them baging away. The seat in PL are pretty poor by any modern standard and far from comfy.

The lounge in TPE is well worn and really hit and miss on what dried out offerings are available.

What is a servery ? I never heard of this kind of facility i the lounge before or is it my English is not as good as yours ?

The amenity kit is a real basic offering compared to the good ones they handed out not so long ago.

My last flight in PL they did even give you bottles of water in the special holder they have in the seat, I guess they have cut back on everything now
Old May 24, 2009, 2:27 pm

Servery is a counter where foods are served. British English.
PL seats are NOT first class quality anymore(or even Top Business class quality?), and I doubt that they will do any change to it soon since the 77W are just added to their fleet two years ago.
However, they're still better than most of the American Carriers, and good fares and good foods are always a plus for BR.
Old May 24, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
On the sleep issue, perhaps they are just confused by being south of the equator :-)

On the flights to US west coast (and presumably Vancuver) they operate exactly as you would expect. Service shortly after takeoff, before landing, and fairly well shutdown for the 6-8 hours in between. Just an occasional check for any awake pax who might want a drink.

Yeh, the new PL seats are not really premium BE anymore, but the price is still a winner.

I love flying SQ F class (on DL miles), but no way in hell am I paying almost $10,000 US for an airline ticket. Even DL's BE costs about twice BR's, so I'll just have to live with 160 degree recline and Bizclass's snide remarks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.