Search

Eva Air Business vs Elite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat - Amex Cent.
Eva Air Business vs Elite

Hi,

I'll be flying oneway next may LAX > KIX on EVA's 777 ! I will be travelling with my wife in Elite Class ( premium economy ). I had the good news learning that my wife is pregnant and will be 3/4 months pregnant while we will be flying.

I was wondering if it is worth upgrading business class to have more comfort ... Do EVA offers paid upgrade at check in ? I paid $860 each and now price is $2010 each in business ... any idea of the price upgrade ?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Congratulations! I fear that the price to upgrade may well be more than the difference. EVA will probably want to re-ticket and treat it as a cancellation and re-booking. Having said that, since the tickets are singles I doubt whether any cancellation fee will be large (if any). At some stations EVA offer an "upgrade at check-in deal", but I've never seen it.

Premium Laurel is certainly more comfortable - check out the stuff on EVA's site. A common complaint is that the seat is somewhat hard and slippery - so you slide down when in full recline (flat but not horizontal). Better service, better food and pretty much guaranteed to be able to sit next to each other.

Since you are concerned about your wife, I'd query how tall she is. The extra leg room diminishes in importance as people get shorter. I'm 5'10" and get by OK in 38" Elite. It's not great, but I can JUST be comfortable on a long flight. I think at that height I'm at the cut off - so if she is much shorter than that, she should perfectly fine in Elite.

Another point is that generally the Elite cabin is quieter. People are a bit more spaced out than economy and are generally better behaved. As you're a couple, hopefully you can get a window and aisle together. If you can't get this online, try phoning them. And that's another thing - when you're travelling with someone you know, it's not so bad if your elbows knock (despite the extra width you get).

Really it all depends on how wealthy you are. On balance, I wouldn't pay that much extra to upgrade Elite to PL.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Flying LAX-TPE I have often asked about paid UG from Elite/Delux to PL/Business at checkin. The prices I have been qouted have varied wildly, and in some cases have been significantly less than the fare difference when I booked.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies !

My wife is 5'3" and I am 5'9" so I assume we should be fine in Elite. I'll try an upgrade at the airport if it is between $500 - $1000 !

have a nice sunday !
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:44 am

Yep, have in mind the price you're prepared to pay and don't forget to check you can be seated together. Elite is often the first cabin to fill up, so you might get a deal - taking even a little cash off you is more revenue than OP-UPing a frequent flyer for nothing.

Let us know how you get on. This info is always useful to know.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Eva already assigned us two nice seats 23A&C ... I'll try to upgrade at the check in ! Do you think I have to go at the EVA sales counter or it can be done directly at check in ?

Anyway i'll keep you posted when I'll get back end of may.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:17 pm

Yes, good seats.

Perhaps dgwright99 can answer since (s)he's more familiar with the route. I'm guessing the EVA sales counter will have to process the upgrade. I'd go straight there - after all, if you do upgrade you won't want to have queued in the Elite line! Allow plenty of time - so if you do upgrade you can enjoy the lounge.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:48 am
Suspended

Jimbo LAX does not have nice lounges
Old Mar 9, 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bizclassboy
Jimbo LAX does not have nice lounges
You haven't been sneaking in the odd EVA flight, have you bizclassboy?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:28 am
Original Poster

I have finally decided to upgrade to PL. I found 2 x tickets at $1960 each on orbitz so a $1100 upgrade each. Eva told me they won't charge the $100 penalty on my refund for my initial tickets - we'll see.

I have been assigned 8H & 8K - any recommandations or tips before flying ?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by sasmalko
I have been assigned 8H & 8K - any recommandations or tips before flying ?
Three weeks before your flights you can go online and choose your meal in advance. On quite a few of the long hauls there are meals offered online that are not offered on the standard menu.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:01 am
Suspended

Just hope your back is strong for those slippery slope seats which are as hard as ice.

(he awaits jimbo to jump in)
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bizclassboy
Just hope your back is strong for those slippery slope seats which are as hard as ice.

(he awaits jimbo to jump in)
The seats in the LAX lounge are slippery? The new LAX lounge is fine despite the otherwise dismal state of Bradley terminal.

[OK, I know you are talking about the C seats on the 777, just joking]

Back OT though, I would never upgrade on the ED <> C in the old 747 configs, while on the 777 I might on the long legs.

I did notice that the service was a little sparse in PL (LAX->TPE) last week, on the other hand a biz. ticket across the pacific at $2600 RT still beats cattle car.

It always comes down to value/$.

BTW, seat belts keep you in the seat just fine.

[Jimbo was busy so he tagged me in]
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I did notice that the service was a little sparse in PL (LAX->TPE) last week, on the other hand a biz. ticket across the pacific at $2600 RT still beats cattle car.
Slightly OT, I know. But I just did TPE-SGN in Elite (777). The food was really excellent. A long way from Economy and other Elite/Deluxe meals I've had. It wouldn't rank with PL of course, where you get more courses, better booze etc. Had some lovely fish.

The flight was lightly loaded - about a third full. The FAs seemed to make extra effort just for me. I was the only western bloke in the cabin - most of the rest looked Vietnamese. Got offered "one more coffee" just as we started descent. I've done this trip in both PL and Elite - and even in PL the service hasn't been so pro-actively friendly.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:28 am
Suspended

It is because you got a hair cut mate !! you dont scare them as much now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.