Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
If you booked with EVA and your flight is canceled, EVA will re-route you as long as the destination does not change. They would need to contact EVA (by phone, e-mail or in-person) to get it changed. I would suggest finding several alternative routings first and give it to EVA in the order of preference.

However, your flight must first be cancelled. If it's not cancelled, you need to wait till it's cancelled.
Friends have been cancelled on BR to SFO however the booking was made using ANA miles and ANA will not change carriers and no options on EVA. Does anyone have any recommendations? Many thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
I booked tickets thru amextravel using my amex plat for my brother and his flight (BR15) canceled. He is visiting from overseas to US.
what is his recourse and any credit card coverage at this point? Any DOT protection?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:06 am

The EVA website just posted cancellations up to June 30. https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html

Not looking good for my July 3 flight to Chicago! At least some carriers, like Cathay, let you hold a reservation for a few days (albeit for a fee) - so I can have a back up plan until EVA tells us more
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Out the UK EVA Air are allowing rebooking on ANY airline in ANY available subclass (as long as in the same cabin) which obviously means TG / BA are preferred options as the only other direct carriers.

Simple and straighforward and remarkably easy. Must be costing them a few bob though.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Bidu
I booked tickets thru amextravel using my amex plat for my brother and his flight (BR15) canceled. He is visiting from overseas to US.
what is his recourse and any credit card coverage at this point? Any DOT protection?
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Friends have been cancelled on BR to SFO however the booking was made using ANA miles and ANA will not change carriers and no options on EVA. Does anyone have any recommendations? Many thanks.
Like I said before, if your ticket is not booked with EVA, you need to find the original airline who issued the ticket. In your case it will be ANA and/or Amex Travel.

However, there have been special cases where it has been changed at EVA local office. Ask your friends to go visit an EVA local office and see if they can secure a seat for your friend and then call ANA to attach the record locator/ticket no. on the new flight. YMMV.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by bearchemist
3000 BR union members voted to strike but only 2000 sets of documents were collected by the union after 72 hours. Also, are you referring to the CI pilot strike (early 2019) or FA strike (2016)?

New development is EVA lawyers showed up with >10 authorization letters from union FAs, asking for the return of working documents. The letters seem to be notarized by the district court, however the union officials refused returning the document, stating they do not know if the letters are authentic, and require FAs to appear in person to retrieve the documents.
On Monday evening, BR lawyers brought another 25 authorized letters (makes it 40 in total), however were again stonewalled by the union. No work documents has been returned yet. One FA showed up in person to retrieve her work documents, but the union stated the process will take ~2 days.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Hey guys,

I know that many will not have an answer on this but I would invite anyone that has deep knowledge of the airline industry to comment.

We have an Aeroplan award ticket booked on 7/13/19 for YVR-TPE and TPE-PVG on 7/18/19 for 3 pax in J. I'm not necessarily looking for mitigation plans with the ticket if the flight gets cancelled but moreso looking for thoughts around whether or not the strike will last that long.

I just went through a list of strikes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_strikes) and see that almost all airline strikes are resolved very quickly (less than a week) but I'm not sure about the political landscape of Taiwan. I know that CI's strike only lasted a week but they are state owned ... not sure if because BR is private, whether or not that means that the strike is likely to last longer or be resolved faster ... any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at the news, it seems both sides are softening their stands a little. It seems there is also a seeking a way to the "not lose face" stage. If I have to guess, and it is a wild guess, I would say the strike will end between 3rd and 13th of July.

Remember, there is a Wiki Post on top with links to some of the more relevant posts in this thread on people's experiences re-booking.
slimjin likes this.

Last edited by username; Jun 24, 2019 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by username
Looking at the news, it seems both sides are softening their stands a little. It seems there is also a seeking a way to not lose face" stage. If I have to guess, and it is a wild guess, I would say the strike will end between 3rd and 13th of July.
Union needs to find a way not to lose face. I am hoping the strike will end by end of June.

A good thing is from this strike is that EVA will hire male FAs. Maybe Taiwan lawmakers will seriously discuss strike advance notice, especially for airlines workers.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by username
Looking at the news, it seems both sides are softening their stands a little. It seems there is also a seeking a way to not lose face" stage. If I have to guess, and it is a wild guess, I would say the strike will end between 3rd and 13th of July.

Remember, there is a Wiki Post on top with links to some of the more relevant posts in this thread on people's experiences re-booking.
That's what I'm seeing as well. Seems like the union is backing off their demands for the no-free-ride provision and the board seat. Company also announced that they will pay the first half bonuses still (but no promises on the second half).
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jimchicago
Not looking good for my July 3 flight to Chicago! At least some carriers, like Cathay, let you hold a reservation for a few days (albeit for a fee) - so I can have a back up plan until EVA tells us more
I have SIN-TPE-ORD booked for maximum Kitty goodness just a few days after you, and it's looking highly unlikely. Since this was a large part of my goal for the trip....I'm debating if I should reschedule altogether :/
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I have SIN-TPE-ORD booked for maximum Kitty goodness just a few days after you, and it's looking highly unlikely. Since this was a large part of my goal for the trip....I'm debating if I should reschedule altogether :/
EVA is expected to make the July schedule adjustments known in just a couple of days. Might be worth waiting a little longer before attempting changes.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
If the goal is to get hello kitty flights then I would be skeptical even if the flights operate, they probably wont be hello kitty serviced by the looks of things.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by kq747
If the goal is to get hello kitty flights then I would be skeptical even if the flights operate, they probably wont be hello kitty serviced by the looks of things.
Thanks - and that's 100% the goal. Problem is I head out to Asia tomorrow...so question is now: cancel and stay home or go to Asia and see what happens
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is when I remind people to read the Wiki and the FAQ from BR. No Kitty Service and No Duty Free. So, you can't even buy Kitty souvenir onboard.

The only hope is the strike ends as suddenly as it started. However, I think the FAs will probably need some rest from the hard work of sitting in the hot sun (I would rather work than sitting in the hot sun).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.