Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Royal Laurel ex-Seattle: Daytime or Late Night Departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am currently in the process of planning a trip to KUL for January. While doing the research, I've noticed BR will be adding a daytime departure out of SEA 3x per week beginning some time in November to go along with the nightly redeyes. The day flight is BR23 leaving SEA 11:30 / arriving TPE 16:30 and operates with the 77W. I will be stopping in TPE for two nights en-route to KUL so same day connection is not an issue.

Is Royal Laurel worthy staying awake for the majority of a 13-hour flight (i.e maximizing the experience)? On a day flight to Asia I typically nap for a few hours during the early stages, then fully awake for the remainder all the way till arrival.

Do they have a more extensive meal service on the day flights compared to the night ones?

Or do most of you who fly Royal Laurel mainly do so for the comfort of a night's sleep on a flat seat? Meaning someone isn't missing out on anything else by snoozing for 9 hours in between two meals. If that's the case, the evening departure makes more sense.

16:30 arrival is nice. I can simply check-in to my hotel, drop my stuff, have a shower and be out into the night-market for dinner. With a 5:50 arrival, I have to book an extra night to be guaranteed a room upon arrival.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Wingfly
I am currently in the process of planning a trip to KUL for January. While doing the research, I've noticed BR will be adding a daytime departure out of SEA 3x per week beginning some time in November to go along with the nightly redeyes. The day flight is BR23 leaving SEA 11:30 / arriving TPE 16:30 and operates with the 77W. I will be stopping in TPE for two nights en-route to KUL so same day connection is not an issue.

Is Royal Laurel worthy staying awake for the majority of a 13-hour flight (i.e maximizing the experience)? On a day flight to Asia I typically nap for a few hours during the early stages, then fully awake for the remainder all the way till arrival.

Do they have a more extensive meal service on the day flights compared to the night ones?

Or do most of you who fly Royal Laurel mainly do so for the comfort of a night's sleep on a flat seat? Meaning someone isn't missing out on anything else by snoozing for 9 hours in between two meals. If that's the case, the evening departure makes more sense.

16:30 arrival is nice. I can simply check-in to my hotel, drop my stuff, have a shower and be out into the night-market for dinner. With a 5:50 arrival, I have to book an extra night to be guaranteed a room upon arrival.
I'd avoid the 5 am arrival. Plus, it's nice to have the late departure and not feel so rushed about getting to the airport.

Maybe it's just me (and the reimbursement policies of my employer) but I hate arriving long before my hotel room is available, yet it seems wasteful to book the additional night and not sleep in the room.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:11 am

The lie flat seat makes it so much easier to sleep. Turbulence makes it feel like someone is rocking you to sleep haha.

Id prefer the night flight, arrive during the day. hop on plane at night, sleep, wake up, deboard, spend day in taiwan...

of course, if you stay up, then i guess arriving at night would make sense... but at that point, id probably just fly PE... save the extra money on yummy food in Taiwan instead of on the plane...

thats just me though.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:08 am

As much as I love BR, I would not choose a daytime flight for the experience. The only J product I would consider doing so is JL

I never make it through a day and get caught in jetlag if I arrive at 5am anyhow, so the late arrivals work for me. Just different preference.

In your scenario, my vote goes to a redeye. And if you want to take the daytime flight, I second BuBu4's suggestion: Take PEY and save the cash. It's one of the shorter TPAC's anyhow
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The flight is too long for PE - it's not like a quick hop from Seattle to Tokyo which is only a few hours longer than Seattle to Hawaii.

Definitely do the daytime flight - you will enjoy the service, and will be able to plan enough sleep to get you from 430P arrival until you reach your destination in the evening and can have a full, proper night's sleep and wake free of jetleg the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.