Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
For UA's FAs, you also need to consider which route you are taking. For SFO-TPE, it's SFO hub's FAs so you should expect PMUA FAs. They tend to be older but professional. Some NRT routes belong to NRT hub and therefore should expect more Asian FAs. Routes served by PMCO hubs, such was EWR, I tend to find missing services (just my experience).
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ycc777
Really? You consider people graduating from college or junior college less educated? Have you checked the educational requirement of FA hiring of other airlines, especially NA airlines? What they want, I believe, are fresh graduates that have not been tainted by other company's bad culture, not that they don't want educated persons.

I've taken Asiana, Thai, JAL, EVA premium cabins this past summer and I found FA's English were all very similar. They were not perfect but I had no problem understanding them. I felt that they tried their best and provided friendly and excellent services. They always made me feel well treated.
1+

I have flown major Asian airlines for many years, and have yet to find any pax facing employee who was not easily understandable in English. Yes, a few might be simplefied (dropping verb conjucation and such), and many might have difficulties with certain phonomes that they do not have in their native language. But still, very easy to understand and have them understand me.

Most English speakers who make the attempt to learn various Asian languages are equally non-proficient.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting thread because in about 7 hours I will take my first BR flights from BKK-SFO.

I am looking forward to it. I have been a UA 1K when they gave up BKK I started looking for other options since they made my GPU's worthless.

Not a fan of Business seats where you have to climb over people (UA)or vice versa and I don't think much of ANA especially in Economy which is horrendous for most Westerners.

I am also interested in posters who try to compare BR with SQ etc. Really every time I look at fares SQ is 2x or more as much. I have to use my own money so never would I see value in SQ.

I tend to fly Business only and I find BR very competitive and close to the lowest.

Anyways I'll report back tomorrow!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by krispykrme
1. EVA requires FA to be college graduate of better. So stop with this none sense about less educated.

2. Stop using language as an issue when comparing services. My last three flight on UA 871/72 the crew in my business section is from Asia. They don't speak perfect english either.

3. I found UA attendant on typical extremely rude and indifference in serving their customer. Striking conversation with them is even worse. They really have 0 customer service skills.
Yes, EVA as well most Taiwan airlines require college degree, that being said almost every person in their 20's now in Taiwan goes to college, so it does not mean as much as before. (too many colleges , too few students now in Taiwan). Also unlike the states, there are 4 year degrees to become a flight attendant, and some Uni's like here in Kaoshuing have very popular programs for that, many students go on to work for EVA as well airlines outside of TW (mostly KA/CX but also middle Eastern airlines). I think though for most they like CI/BR over other airlines, so some Flight attendants at EVA air, come with experience from other airlines but still pretty young compared to UA staff. (after being based outside of Taiwan, many want to be back home)
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? You consider people graduating from college or junior college less educated? Have you checked the educational requirement of FA hiring of other airlines, especially NA airlines? What they want, I believe, are fresh graduates that have not been tainted by other company's bad culture, not that they don't want educated persons.

I've taken Asiana, Thai, JAL, EVA premium cabins this past summer and I found FA's English were all very similar. They were not perfect but I had no problem understanding them. I felt that they tried their best and provided friendly and excellent services. They always made me feel well treated.
Yes. CI's standard is as follows:
(三)有效之英檢成績單或證書
(TOEIC/600分以上、BULATS/45以上、IELTS/4.5以上或
TOEFL ITP/480、iBT/64,2013/04/15以後取得之成績) 
(四)教育部認可之國內外大學或以上學歷 - which means 4 year university or above
BR's:
"國內外大專院校以上畢業者,不限科系". That means any major in university or junior college. Granted, going to university does not necessarily improve one's English ability and they do have another requirement for English testing "全民英語能力分級檢定測驗達中級(含)以上程度或TOEIC 達500分以上或IELTS 4.0以上或TOEFL iBT達45分以上 或TOEFL ITP達450分以上或BULATS 40分以上。 "
I agree that more education does not mean better service and BR/Evergreen's strategy works. However, you can't dispute less education and lower test scores are required for BR FAs.

I don't fly CI because of the safety records. I love BR. That does not mean everything BR does is perfect. For those of you who also love BR yet keep comparing BR with those inferior carriers, I don't understand why. Shouldn't we push it to get even better?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by username
For those of you who also love BR yet keep comparing BR with those inferior carriers, I don't understand why. Shouldn't we push it to get even better?
So you want us to compare BR to SQ & EK?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I'd rather not because it'll just turn into another outrageously expensive airline. It's great and affordable now. Honestly, efficient communication is all I need. I actually like my announcement with foreign accents on a foreign airline than someone speaks just like an American. When I'm flying out of the country, I actually want to feel it.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I'd rather not because it'll just turn into another outrageously expensive airline. It's great and affordable now. Honestly, efficient communication is all I need.
Yes BR is the perfect example of customer friendly mass production.

You get the seat/service/food you want at a great price. And BR is able to do that because there PAX load is always 90+% in J (or at least when I fly them)
While other airlines charge higher prices, they aren't able to get full PAX loads incomparison.

And of course BR makes most of its money down in the bottom of the plane....... cargo.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I have heard very bad things about EK service - even in C. People say SQ can be robotic. So, I am not sure with whom we should compare BR. I do know we should not compare it to inferior carriers and I do know that you can push yourself to be better without comparing yourself with others.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
So i Just finished my first 2 flights on EVA from BKK - SFO. Overall I was more then satisfied.

But of course it does not take much to do a better job then UA and DL. I've never been impressed with ANA either.

I fly business all the time and of spending my own money price is important.

I find EVA competitive in price and a better product overall.

1. Lets start with Lounges . There is no comparison between EVA and DL and UA lounges anywhere. EVA offers far more choices of hot dishes etc in TPE and in BKK they are currently using Thai which once again is far superior to American Carrier Lounges.

2. I consider climbing over people or having people climb over you in Business to be a JOKE. So I scratch UA auto.

Reverse Herringbone on EVA is similar to DL and each person will have his like and dislikes. I will say if you have a window seat TPE to USA on 777 there are lots of storage areas and plenty of room to set up laptop and still have room for food service.

3. I'm kind of a meat and potatoes guy so probably don't appreciate EVA's food as much as some might and next time I will take advantage of ordering specific meals . Try doing that on UA or DL.

I I found the meal service on BKK-TPE to be way above what I would expect on a 3 hour flight and the service did not seem rushed to me.

On the TPE- SFO segment I had all the appetizers which were great. Very good Pumpkin Soup and an excellent salad with a wonderful Orange something dressing. Yummy

Then rather then one of the entrees I asked for the cheeseburger because of positive comments here. Just a real good Burger and wonderful fries. Hard to believe I was on an airplane.

4. I found selection of movies to be excellent with a nice big screen . TV shows poor compared to USA carriers. I don't care I have USA TV on my Laptop.

Although I did not use the offered headset for very long it appeared to be a very high end noise canceling headset in a nice zippered container.

5. I find the little things to be rewarding on EVA. Bathrooms are considerably bigger then UA, DL, ANA. They give you quite a nice set of pajamas to take home if you like and of course their famous Zippered Container with Tooth paste etc..

I found the FA's excellent . I was constantly asked if they could get me anything during my 11 hour segment and I had no trouble with language for simple requests.

I like the the towels they give you wrapped in plastic so you can use them when you want instead of taking them unpackaged.

So yes EVA will get some of my business and probably Asiana and of course I will have to continue to burn my miles up with DL and UA before more devaluations.

But no more chasing status for me. I don't see it gets me anything except being tied to airlines that are 2nd class and don't appreciate my business.

When I buy a Business ticket I get everything someone with status craves and I can spend my money more wisely and move to another airline if that one is not doing the job.

I'll still earn miles although not as many but I will no longer chase miles. I will chase Product and Price .

Those who want EVA to get better , that is always a good thing. As long as it does not effect their competitive prices. I don't want to pay SQ prices. No value in it for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.