Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Seatguru says BR seats are 4'' wider, is that true?

Also, which product would provide a better experience?

let me know if I'd have better luck on UA forum.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Fly BR. They don't call it Eeewnited for a reason. UA F if it's a LOT cheaper, but if not, you'd be MUCH better off flying BR. Hard product is better (more privacy) and soft product is infinitely better (aka. service) on BR.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that the seats are similar. UA 744 F by the window is pretty enjoyable. The configuration on UA is also better for looking out the window as it is not reverse heringbone.

BR's seats are newer - probably better maintained and have more gadgets.

Food-wise, BR is better if you are open to try different things. You can also pre-order additional options.

UA's AVOD content is more English centric. BR's is not bad but lacking on the TV front. The new 77As on BR have a gerat new AVOD system. It is supposed to work like an iPad.

BR only has 3 planes with Wifi. UA has more.

Service-wise, it actually depends on the crew. In general, BR is better. However, when you have an experienced UA crew who still cares about their job, it is better. I had a long talk with a BR purser recently and got the feeling that some of the younger FAs are not so good.

Amenity-wise, BR's overnight kit can go for US$70 on e-bay and it is also giving out pajama now.

F still has the exclusivity - the UA IFL is much better than the UC or BR/SQ's clubs in SFO, for example.

F also nets more miles. UA gets you PQD if that is important.

Same money - go for UA F. Otherwise, you can place the value on the differences.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by username
I would say that the seats are similar. UA 744 F by the window is pretty enjoyable. The configuration on UA is also better for looking out the window as it is not reverse heringbone.

BR's seats are newer - probably better maintained and have more gadgets.

Food-wise, BR is better if you are open to try different things. You can also pre-order additional options.

UA's AVOD content is more English centric. BR's is not bad but lacking on the TV front. The new 77As on BR have a gerat new AVOD system. It is supposed to work like an iPad.

BR only has 3 planes with Wifi. UA has more.

Service-wise, it actually depends on the crew. In general, BR is better. However, when you have an experienced UA crew who still cares about their job, it is better. I had a long talk with a BR purser recently and got the feeling that some of the younger FAs are not so good.

Amenity-wise, BR's overnight kit can go for US$70 on e-bay and it is also giving out pajama now.

F still has the exclusivity - the UA IFL is much better than the UC or BR/SQ's clubs in SFO, for example.

F also nets more miles. UA gets you PQD if that is important.

Same money - go for UA F. Otherwise, you can place the value on the differences.
I guess like how everyone has certain body parts, everyone has an opinion
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
By United F you're referring to GlobalFirst right?

If you're comparing GF and RL, I would go with GF for the bigger and spacious seat.

The BR extra 4 inches is just a marketing gimmick because basically while your body is straight, there is 4 inches extra width taken in account from the exit of your seat.

If you check Seatguru you will see where those 4 inches come from. It's not genuinely 26 wide. It's 22 wide and long with a little corner spot 4 inches wide.

Better service and food I would say RL
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:28 am
Suspended

Just did YYZ TPE HKG on BR in J. Royal Laurel.

Hands down - -awesome hard product and soft product, all the way from check in to exiting the plane. Priority bags were starting to roll out once I got to HKG as well.

I would never ever fly United if BR could get me there. I slept like a baby reverse herringbone and the added privacy over globalfirst seats is nice too. The food was awesome too. - the burgers served on board was (according to my wife) "awesome" and I had the dim sum tray. Took 30 seconds to fulfill that order and it was also GREAT. If you're into asian cuisine, BR is also much more of the way to go.

The main takeaway I have from that brutal 20 hour transit time is that Eva genuinely cares about its passengers.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Nov 29, 2014 at 2:51 am
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I find the BR RL seats narrow, if you tend to twist and turn when you sleep, it is very hard to do so compare to UA F.

Also, BR's FAs are not as fluent in English as I think ! Most of the time I have to use my limited Mandarin to communicate better than in English, to a point it seems like they try to avoid to speak in English. (I am a native Cantonese speaker, it is like if I can't pronounce something in Mandarin, they would still rather try to understand me in Cantonese than English !)

Some BR's FAs also have an attitude, it is like they just want to finish the meal that's it, I can walk to the lavatory twice in the middle of the flight and being completely ignored by the chief purser sitting on the jump seat reading a book, or showing faces if I ask them for more request.

Other than those two problems, their meals (many choices available to pre-ordered online), Rimowa amenity kit, and they just started having PJ for RL on long haul now are all superior to UA F.

However, in terms of food and service, BR is definitely behind both OZ and NH, and of course SQ as well.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 1, 2014 at 1:49 am
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Unless it's about money, BR.
Comparing personal FA experiences is just that, no more. Contrary to ORDnHKG, I've had consistently great FAs on TPACs on BR, and UA has become hit or miss, mostly miss lately. And I don't speak Mandarin.
Transitting TPE, you will be impressed with BR ground staff.
Quoting superangrypenguin, "I would never fly UA if BR could get me there."
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I have been impressed by EVA's FA's although their English is sometimes limited, just pointing to the menu where it's written in chinese gets the job done.

Besides all the goodies; about Inflight: the meal service is fast and attention to detail and not dragged out that you think when's my next dish to appear or why isnt anyone topping up my water. I found them helpfull assisting with elderly passengers, explaining the seat features, making the bed, helping them go to the lavatories. I found that if you express an interest in Taipei and the rest of Taiwan the FA's enthousiams overwhelm you by giving tips on where to go, what to see, how to get there, best food and drinks and more recommendations.

Eva's own lounges are comfortable, clean and there is big selection of food and drinks, I regard it a step up of my native Lufthansa SEN-lounges. Cleaners are swift to clear plates and although there's a language barrier a polite bow and smile seems to be standard. The airport is easy to navigate, staff there speaks good english. I love that every gate in TPE has a different theme, quite well done.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think some might say EVA's service is too fast - both in RL and Y - the service feels rushed at times. I guess that is Taiwanese efficiency.

NH, for example, would bring your food to you and introduce the food to you. BR does not do that - drop the food and go. When I worked at a restaurant, the trick was to rush but don't look like you are rushing. I think many BR FAs fail that.

They also went through some staff cuts a few years ago - I think they used to have 18 FAs on the 386 passenger 744 (with 8F and 16C) but it got cut by at least 2 (I can't remember the exact number). That is when they stopped bowing and probably gave the FAs excuse to rush.

So, compared to UA, it is really crew-dependent and BR is usually better. Compared to SQ and NH, BR still has a lot to learn. (NH actually trained BR's first few groups of FAs.)
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:26 am
Suspended

Efficiency is the name of the game, especially the overnight flights from TPE/YYZ. Give me my food, serve it, and leave me alone. I don't need explaining...cut the s*it so I can eat and sleep. Then again, that's just me...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Efficiency is the name of the game, especially the overnight flights from TPE/YYZ. Give me my food, serve it, and leave me alone. I don't need explaining...cut the s*it so I can eat and sleep. Then again, that's just me...
I think good cabin service balances safety, efficiency and elegance. Meal service should not be rushed for those who want to sleep as they can choose the express dining / dine any time option.

Many of us are BR fans but we also know it is not at the SQ level when it comes to how polished the service is. Part of these discussions is meant to motivate BR to up the game even more.

Even if you talk to them, they will admit the rapid expansion is hurting service levels as there are a lot of inexperienced flight attendants doing premium cabin.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
It depends on what is important to you. IMO:

If it is the hard product - UA GF > BR RL
If it is the soft product - BR RL > UA GF

SunLover
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UA F > BR C.

Biggest reason to choose BR C over UA F would be the champagne if you're a drinker.

For me, I'd choose whichever was cheaper/more convenient, but with a slight bias towards UA F because the reverse herringbone on BR is tight for sleeping at full stretch at 6'2" and size 13, and there's a marginal advantage to an F lounge versus a C lounge.

I would choose BR C over UA C, but even that's tight because I get a great sleep in UA C on the rear facing seats.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
No it is not, it only shows the FA are lazy, as they only want to finish as fast as possible so that they can go to the galley, close the curtains and do their own thing !

Compare to SQ and CX, especially CX has a lot more overnight flights than BR, did CX crew ever rush the service just because it is overnight flight ? Not really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.