Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by username
EVA's FA's English ability has always been a problem. I guess they tend to hire FAs that are less educated (Jr. College / nursing school, etc. vs. university) as the corporate culture is to hire them young and train / brainwash them to the Evergreen Way.

In the early days of EVA, you can't even strike up decent conversations with FAs in Mandarin - many were just too young and inexperienced to converse. Now the young generation is not as shy.

A lot of the English problem can be easily corrected if they paid some attention - but they don't. For example: offer passengers snack instead of snake, as some say It is made worse when some FAs use the same crazy artificial announcement tone in English as they do in Mandarin.

It would not be fair or reasonable to expect them to converse and behave the, for example, American way, when they speak English. It is not their native language or culture after all.

My impression is that the Thai/Vietnam FAs speak better English than the Taiwanese ones. I have yet to see a non-Taiwanese FA work in RL.

It used to be that the Taiwanese felt that they get treated 2nd class when flying on foreign carriers and even CI. One of the founding motivations for EVA is to have an airline where the Taiwanese are not treated 2nd class. I think that has been achieved.
1. EVA requires FA to be college graduate of better. So stop with this none sense about less educated.

2. Stop using language as an issue when comparing services. My last three flight on UA 871/72 the crew in my business section is from Asia. They don't speak perfect english either.

3. I found UA attendant on typical extremely rude and indifference in serving their customer. Striking conversation with them is even worse. They really have 0 customer service skills.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by krispykrme
1. EVA requires FA to be college graduate of better. So stop with this none sense about less educated.

2. Stop using language as an issue when comparing services. My last three flight on UA 871/72 the crew in my business section is from Asia. They don't speak perfect english either.

3. I found UA attendant on typical extremely rude and indifference in serving their customer. Striking conversation with them is even worse. They really have 0 customer service skills.
+1. Try the French Canadians on Air Canada if you want crap service as an English speaking (native tongue) person. The service received by a native speaking Mandarin (Chinese is not a language) FA on BR is much better in comparison. Mrs. SAP is Caucasian and only speaks English, I watched carefully as to how she was treated by the BR crew, and she was treated very well. Not as homey as me speaking Mandarin, but close.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, the FA's ability to communicate does affect the total quality of service. For others, it might not be. Since I am fluent in both languages, it is not an issue on BR for me. However, if you read the trip reviews, some do make it an issue and that is where we want BR to improve. This has become more important as the share of non-Chinese speakers increase due to Star Alliance.

I think we want to compare BR with the better ones and want it to be the best, not the worst. UA cabin crew's Mandarin ability is questionable: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...qualified.html Language is a sensitive issue in Canada/Quebec. Language (Mandarin vs. Taiwanese) is also an issue in Taiwan.

BR's hiring criteria for cabin crew say: "國內外大專院校以上畢業者,不限科系". That means any major in university or junior college. Granted, going to university does not necessarily improve one's English ability and they do have another requirement for English testing "全民英語能力分級檢定測驗達中級(含)以上程度或TOEIC 達500分以上或IELTS 4.0以上或TOEFL iBT達45分以上 或TOEFL ITP達450分以上或BULATS 40分以上。 " The Taiwanese are great in test taking

The philosophy is simple and widely accepted - hire employees who are younger, fresh and not as well educated so the company can train them and shape them before they pick up any bad habits elsewhere. It has worked well for Evergreen.

I first flew BR in 1992 and think it is a very good airline. There are always improvements to be made no matter how great you are.

Last edited by username; Dec 12, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
If so, where is this advertised? on AC Metal, it explicitly calls out Express service on the meal, I have not once seen this on BR.
Star Special ?

Welcome to select Star Special, and allow you to enjoy more good time in the flight

You may not see the translation about express dining, but the Chinese menus did imply it is express dining, so that you can have more time to relax.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TinDrum

UA's F service is crappy beyond belief. On my last UA/F flight, pre-takeoff drinks were served in plastic cups, the table cloth was actually a napkin (tell tale button hole in the corner!), pilot declined to turn on channel-9 (a good part of my reason to suffer UA in the first place), the whiskey was Dewar's (I guess they could sink lower and serve Korean whiskey, if there is such a thing), lunch menu had the same steak and ice-cream sundae that they have served for the past 20 years in Business, the only extra course - the soup - was served in something resembling a thimble, inflight snacks were the sane as those served back in business, the FA has to raid her personal stocks because I asked for some green tea, NOT ONCE was I addressed by name...I could go on.
Are you familiar with PMUA or PMCO ? Sounds like you were a PMCO guy more than PMUA.

Pre-takeoff drink serve in plastic is nothing new, same with any other US base airlines. Pilot declined channel 9 ? Since when that is a must ? If you are a true PMUA flyer you know better (or even seen in the Hemisphere magazine) it is all about pilot's discretion.

PMUA NEVER served ice-cream sundae in C class (except ps flights) ! In a matter of fact, PMUA didn't even have the appropriate chinaware to serve and present ice-cream sundaes ! PMUA was all about cakes and tarts, an occasion sorbet ! Ice-cream sundae was an all time PMCO J class signature dessert ! It is only after the merger, ice-cream sundae showed up as dessert no matter F or C, well since the management is practically PMCO anyway.

Not addressing by name ? Same deal, because you were flying PMCO not PMUA ! PMCO FA wouldn't address you by name is because they do meal orders front to back vs PMUA FA address everyone by name, as PMUA take meal orders by status, as if they don't address you by name, they will get the wrong meal order. It was very common to see the FA dance around the cabin as status pax seated all over, you may get your order first but not your seatmate if he/she has lower status than you do. After the merger, meal orders only separate by GS flyers, however PMUA FA still address by name as that's what they used to do, PMCO don't do that. Perhaps can you even identify which flight is operated by PMUA and PMCO crew ?

You talked to the wrong person about some of the PMUA facts, just don't claim you know how bad UA is for the past 20 years !

P.S. What was the all time favorite meal chosen by PMUA FTers for flights to and from Japan in F and C ? It was so popular that even PMUA allow pax to pre-order in advance !

IMHO, UA/F herringbone seats are not all that comfortable - but then my girth is larger than average. And on my BR flights , I do not recall any "reverse herringbone" seats at all. Besides, they have only 4 seats across the width of a 777 - plenty of space, even for me.
UA F are NOT herringbone seats period. The design are totally different ! VS was the pioneer of herringbone seats, herringbone seats are also refer as "fish bone". Reverse herringbone means rather than your seat facing the aisle, it is facing the window instead, same with NZ, CX, and AA.

Most of BR's transpac flights take off around midnight; at that time, any passengers who are earing dinner are keen to turn in and get horizontal a.s.a.p. - IMO, BR reads the situation correctly and does not linger on their meal service.
So what's your excuse about CX then ? CX has a ton more flights departing midnight no matter out of US or Europe, yet CX can still perform well ahead of BR no matter those who choose to linger on their meal service or fast sleeper.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 13, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Not addressing by name ? Same deal, because you were flying PMCO not PMUA ! PMCO FA wouldn't address you by name is because they do meal orders front to back vs PMUA FA address everyone by name,
Coming from a pmCO I thought this trick worked but it didn't. When the merger first started, a lot of pmUA did not address F Pax by the name. I knew they were pmUA because we end up chatting for quite some time aboard.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
So what's your excuse about CX then ? CX has a ton more flights departing midnight no matter out of US or Europe, yet CX can still perform well ahead of BR no matter those who choose to linger on their meal service or fast sleeper.
In what way?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Coming from a pmCO I thought this trick worked but it didn't. When the merger first started, a lot of pmUA did not address F Pax by the name. I knew they were pmUA because we end up chatting for quite some time aboard.
Are you talking about domestic or international ?

PMUA domestic usually go from front to back as it is less space compare to a widebody so less likely to address you by name (but I still had on occasion). International meal orders still go by status right after the merger at the beginning.

Just by the flight number and plane you already know if it is PMUA or PMCO, don't even need to talk to them.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
+1. Try the French Canadians on Air Canada if you want crap service as an English speaking (native tongue) person. The service received by a native speaking Mandarin (Chinese is not a language) FA on BR is much better in comparison. Mrs. SAP is Caucasian and only speaks English, I watched carefully as to how she was treated by the BR crew, and she was treated very well. Not as homey as me speaking Mandarin, but close.

I did try AC- J once. In 2013 from Toronto to Frankfurt. The service was not bad better than LH (which I took from FRA to YVR).

But nothing beat SQ. As much as i like to complain about SQ service going down hill last couple years. Its still better than all other in *.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:58 am
Suspended

Star Special ?

Welcome to select Star Special, and allow you to enjoy more good time in the flight

You may not see the translation about express dining, but the Chinese menus did imply it is express dining, so that you can have more time to relax.
Oh, I didn't know that (can speak but not read Mandarin). Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Are you talking about domestic or international ?

PMUA domestic usually go from front to back as it is less space compare to a widebody so less likely to address you by name (but I still had on occasion). International meal orders still go by status right after the merger at the beginning.

Just by the flight number and plane you already know if it is PMUA or PMCO, don't even need to talk to them.
Domestic that is. pmUA go by Mr........ while pmCO just say Sir, Mam

how do you identify based on flight #?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I didn't know that (can speak but not read Mandarin). Thanks!
I think you mean you can't read Chinese not Mandarin, as Mandarin is a dialect. Even as a Cantonese speaker myself, I can still read Chinese simplified where most Mandarin speaking people write (except Taiwan) as the difference is minimal. The Chinese menus with BR is clearly printed in Chinese Traditional

Hong Kong and southern China = Cantonese, Chinese Traditional
Mainland China like Shanghai, Beijing = Mandarin, Chinese Simplified
Taiwan = Mandarin, Chinese Traditional

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Domestic that is. pmUA go by Mr........ while pmCO just say Sir, Mam

how do you identify based on flight #?
200-999 are sUA, the rest of them you know what they are.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 16, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:10 am
Suspended

I think you mean you can't read Chinese not Mandarin, as Mandarin is a dialect. Even as a Cantonese speaker myself, I can still read Chinese simplified where most Mandarin speaking people write (except Taiwan) as the difference is minimal. The Chinese menus with BR is clearly printed in Chinese Traditional

Hong Kong and southern China = Cantonese, Chinese Traditional
Mainland China like Shanghai, Beijing = Mandarin, Chinese Simplified
Taiwan = Mandarin, Chinese Traditional
While I know you are right, I never thought on FT we would be splitting hairs like this so didn't think I would need to go in depth. Do you speak Indian too?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Now in TPE at the W-Hotel jetlagged and awake after Ximending night out. I arrived here friday on BR76 ams-bkk-tpe
So some thoughts on recent BR-service:
At ams & bkk: priority boarding enforced!
Bkk: temporary louis tavern silver business lounge a disaster, fled to TG E-lounge where i was able to shower, everything was clean and the food actually looked edible
On board supper service: sitting in second cabin - fast and done in approx 35/40min, starter plated on tray, round of bread, main dish served, afterwards tray with cheese-sweet-fruit. Dinner: mains were plated and wheeled out on trolly to be viewed and chosen.
Amineties: new rimowa, slippers, pj, sweetbasket before landing
Lav: kept clean, facemist, lotion, cleanser, handwash available
Menu: thank goodness for meal order, the standard items weren't really my taste, drinks list more choice on non-alchoholic offerings (calpis fruit - guave juice - iced coffee ucc - cranberry juice - ito en green tea)
FA: purser spoke excellent conversational english, announcement volume was barely above whisper tone - some FA's had trouble understanding my orders but all was deliverd well when pointing to the chinese menu. No problems getting inbetween snacks, meals and drinks from the galley, didnt use the call button as the whole cabin was snoring.
Disembarkation in BKK/TPE crew sprang up, closed the Y+/C curtain so we werent trampled
Luggage was on the carrousel ready, had a loooooong queue at immigration due to several planes arriving first, immigration friendly
Verdict: satisfied value for money: business D-fare 2144eur
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Originally Posted by username
For me, the FA's ability to communicate does affect the total quality of service. For others, it might not be. Since I am fluent in both languages, it is not an issue on BR for me. However, if you read the trip reviews, some do make it an issue and that is where we want BR to improve. This has become more important as the share of non-Chinese speakers increase due to Star Alliance.

I think we want to compare BR with the better ones and want it to be the best, not the worst. UA cabin crew's Mandarin ability is questionable: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...qualified.html Language is a sensitive issue in Canada/Quebec. Language (Mandarin vs. Taiwanese) is also an issue in Taiwan.

BR's hiring criteria for cabin crew say: "國內外大專院校以上畢業者,不限科系". That means any major in university or junior college. Granted, going to university does not necessarily improve one's English ability and they do have another requirement for English testing "全民英語能力分級檢定測驗達中級(含)以上程度或TOEIC 達500分以上或IELTS 4.0以上或TOEFL iBT達45分以上 或TOEFL ITP達450分以上或BULATS 40分以上。 " The Taiwanese are great in test taking

The philosophy is simple and widely accepted - hire employees who are younger, fresh and not as well educated so the company can train them and shape them before they pick up any bad habits elsewhere. It has worked well for Evergreen.

I first flew BR in 1992 and think it is a very good airline. There are always improvements to be made no matter how great you are.
Really? You consider people graduating from college or junior college less educated? Have you checked the educational requirement of FA hiring of other airlines, especially NA airlines? What they want, I believe, are fresh graduates that have not been tainted by other company's bad culture, not that they don't want educated persons.

I've taken Asiana, Thai, JAL, EVA premium cabins this past summer and I found FA's English were all very similar. They were not perfect but I had no problem understanding them. I felt that they tried their best and provided friendly and excellent services. They always made me feel well treated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.