Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
interessierterlaie, thanks for your helpful reply! I arrived in koeln today and getting the kundenkarte/wochenticket was as simple as going to the DB office in the station - no ID or german passport required.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: M&M, EB
Good to here that it was that easy.

But now to something completely different.
Most Online tickets are now also available as MMS. The conductor will scan the barcode from the display of your mobile phone. Of course you need an account at bahn.de first.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
Good to here that it was that easy.

But now to something completely different.
Most Online tickets are now also available as MMS. The conductor will scan the barcode from the display of your mobile phone. Of course you need an account at bahn.de first.
And a German mobile phone number.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:43 am

Unfortunately yes. Sorry, I overlooked that one.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:34 pm

Zurich to Munich / Munich to Frankfurt

I have been on the DB site looking at various options for travel in September.
As I have only used SBahn svcs before I could use some advice.
Pros and cons of taking trips w/ connections vs direct? (ZRH to Munich)
Ease of transit from Munich To FRA as opposed to going into city and then back to airport?
1st vs 2nd class?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by WhisperjetYYZ
Ease of transit from Munich To FRA as opposed to going into city and then back to airport?
Very easy using the ICE, either direct via Nürnberg, direct via Mannheim, or with a same-platform change in Mannheim. The airport (Flughafen) stop is after the city (Hbf) stop, for the trains that stop at both, and there is no need to change trains at the Hbf.

Last edited by SkyBuck; Jun 28, 2010 at 11:45 pm Reason: correction and clarification
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Very easy using the ICE, either direct or with a same-platform change in Mannheim. The airport (Flughafen) stop is before the city (Hbf) stop, for the trains that stop at both.
Not true - on the direct trains (which leave Munich at xx-55), Frankfurt Flughafen is the stop after Frankfurt Hbf.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by railways
Not true - on the direct trains (which leave Munich at xx-55), Frankfurt Flughafen is the stop after Frankfurt Hbf.
You're right; not sure how I got that backwards. Thanks for the correction.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:28 am

Sommer Spezial

Selected routes on IC/EC trains (2nd class) for 19€ one-way.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/ak...rspezial.shtml

Bookable: July 1st - September 30th 2010

Travel: July 04th - October 31st 2010

Offer comes with the usual limitations:
No changes
No refund
Valid only on booked train
while stocks last
etc.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:46 am
Suspended

European Rail Travel

Originally Posted by best
Flying Lawyer: fantastic info. Thank you very much!

You are gave great information for all. Thank you very much.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
And a German mobile phone number.
A cheap (or free) prepaid Sim Card will do the trick
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
Sommer Spezial

Selected routes on IC/EC trains (2nd class) for 19€ one-way.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/ak...rspezial.shtml

Bookable: July 1st - September 30th 2010

Travel: July 04th - October 31st 2010

Offer comes with the usual limitations:
No changes
No refund
Valid only on booked train
while stocks last
etc.
Ah, time to buy some train tickets for my trip to Europe next month ^

Last edited by arietal; Aug 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Flying Lawyer,

Thanks for all of this train information. I will be in Gemany in December and intend to use the rail network quite a lot. On arrival I will be taking the train from Frankfurt airport to Berlin. I note that you say "For services to Berlin you have to change either at Frankfurt Central, at Hannover or at Leipzig."
Which of these options is preferable? (in terms of convenience).
Also, as I will have about 2.5 hours between flight arrival and train departure does anyone know whether it is possible to purchase a German sim card either at the airport or in the station?

Thanks for any advice.

Pierre48
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Originally Posted by Pierre48
Which of these options is preferable? (in terms of convenience).
They are probably equally convenient. At every of those stations you get of the train, switch platforms and enter the next train. It's more a matter of ticket and connection rather than station.

Do you travel first class or second class? If you travel first class, Frankfurt Central is the only station (of those three) that has a dedicated first class lounge with free non-alcoholic beverages, wine, beer, and sparkling wine. You can also have a little snack. The other three stations with a first class lounge are Berlin, Hamburg and Munich.

Not commonly known: When traveling first class you can visit the lounge in Berlin on your arrival, too.

What type of ticket do you have? If you have a ticket that is linked to a specific train (Zugbindung), it's probably easier to connect through Frankfurt Central, because if needed you can always take an inexpensive regional train to get there should the train in Frankfurt airport be delayed. If you miss a connecting train due to a delay, you are allowed to take the next train. But that's still stressing. With a flexible ticket that obviously doesn't matter.

I would base my decision on the schedule rather the station, minimizing the number of times I have to switch trains if there are several similar connections available and taking ICE, IC, EC, RE in this order of preference.

Regarding SIM cards: I don't know if there are any shops at the airport that sell SIM cards.

You can, however, order a SIM card and have it ship to a German address such as the place where you are staying in Berlin. http://www.fonic.de offers inexpensive prepaid SIM cards. You probably need someone with a German bank account, though, to deduct an initial 19.99 Euro purchase. There are other companies, as well, but I don't know which one requires an ID check.

If you want to purchase a SIM card in a shop, your bets are higher around Frankfurt Central than Frankfurt Airport.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
HAM76,

Thanks for all that information. I will probably travel first class as the fares seem quite inexpensive when purchased well in advance. Also, thanks for the tip about Frankfurt Central. I will take that option. I presume that this station must be selected in the "via" box on the Bahn website when ordering the tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.