Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:36 am

I bought tickets about 1 hour after bahn.de "opened" the winter schedule at midnight for a trip from Vienna-Prague-Dresden-Frankfurt-Cologne. At the time, the system said it was not possible to reserve seats on the Vienna to Prague and Prague to Dresden legs. I was able to reserve seats for the other two legs. In checking now, I see that it is possible to buy the ticket and reserve all legs of the trips. Unfortunately, I can not figure out how to make seat reservations for my already-purchased tickets. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks,
canred
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Just buy a separate seat reservation: Simply search for the train as if you want to buy a ticket. At some point, you will have the option of buying a ticket only, a ticket plus seat reservation or a seat reservation only. Only downside: it is a few Euros more expensive than buying the seat reservation together with your ticket.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:27 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the option of seat reservation only is "not available for this connection" (below are the options provided during the purchase process).

Reservation:
* Ticket with seat reservation
3,50 EUR EUR per seat and direction (for max. 2 trains in each direction).

* Seat reservation only (no ticket)
Not available for this connection.

* Ticket without seat reservation

Do I need have reserve a seat to be sure I will have a place to sit?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Just buy a separate seat reservation: Simply search for the train as if you want to buy a ticket. At some point, you will have the option of buying a ticket only, a ticket plus seat reservation or a seat reservation only. Only downside: it is a few Euros more expensive than buying the seat reservation together with your ticket.
I believe this only works on the DB site for sectors wholly within Germany, hence the inability to book reservations for international journeys.

What a pain that is.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
If you phone the DB centre I think they can book just reservations
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by price123
If you phone the DB centre I think they can book just reservations
Either that, or:
A) Go in face-to-face at the ReiseZentrum
B) The particular train does not allow reservations and it is first-come-first-served. I remember booking a train from Munich to Prague, and the train did not have reserved seats.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott silver, US Air, AA,
Ticket question Munich to Nurenburg

We will be going (on a Sunday) from Munich to Nurenburg. Comparing savings fare (29e) to Weekend fare (37e) it appears that the weekend fare would be a better price for 2. Just want to check. Will I need to purchase tickets before I leave for Europe or can I purchase these fares at train station?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by desert traveler
We will be going (on a Sunday) from Munich to Nurenburg. Comparing savings fare (29e) to Weekend fare (37e) it appears that the weekend fare would be a better price for 2. Just want to check. Will I need to purchase tickets before I leave for Europe or can I purchase these fares at train station?
Buy your tickets online at bahn.de : http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Weekend specials etc, sometimes need to be booked 7-14 days in advance and seats are limited.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by desert traveler
If you don't want to use the ICE trains (which will not give you a big advantage on this short trip) buy a Bayern Ticket which gives a full day of travel on Regional Express Trains and all local public transit in both, Nürnberg and München, for 28 Euro for up to five adults for a full day. No need to buy this in advance. You can buy it at any vending machine at any subway station in train station in München.

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/reg...rnticket.shtml
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA platinum prom United Silver, Marriott Titanium lifetime, Hilton Diamond
Angry refund

When the volcano erupted cancelling flights my sife anfd I took the train. To make a long story short we are still fighting over a refund. Our ytrain mis-connected in Munich as we lost our sleeper and sat in a bar car to Rome through the night. We have been offered 11 euro but do not think it is fair, any recourse?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Originally Posted by missingPI
We have been offered 11 euro but do not think it is fair, any recourse?
Can you provide a bit more information about your itinerary? What train or trains did you book? Where did you book? What category was your seat in? Did you book any special offer? Did you book a single connection that included changing a train in Munich or did you have separate tickets?

There are two refunds you might be eligible for:

a) If you were delayed at the time you arrived in Rome compared to your original schedule (not the train that finally took you there), you can claim 25% (more than 1 hour) or 50% (more than 2 hours) of the ticket excluding reservation fees.

b) If the carrier couldn't offer you the reserved seats, you are entitled to a refund of the reservation fee.

11 Euro sounds like the train arrived less than 60 minutes late and you only got reservation fees back.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
FRA-CGN via ICE

We're arriving at FRA from SIN around 9PM on a Thursday night, and looking to head to Cologne immediately.

I've decided to buy a flexible ticket to hedge for any delays. I've noticed that there is an ICE route from FRA to Cologne that makes "local" stops in Mainz, Koblenz and Bonn, and takes about twice as long as the true "express" trains. These trains are priced around €16 less than the non-stop ICE trains.

My question is, that since both are ICE rotues, will a flexible ticket on the "local" train be valid on one of the "express" trains?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
The trains going through Mainz and Koblenz are ICs, not ICEs. If you have an IC ticket and want to board an ICE you need to purchase an "ICE Produktübergang" which is likely to be more expensive than the difference.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HAM76
The trains going through Mainz and Koblenz are ICs, not ICEs. If you have an IC ticket and want to board an ICE you need to purchase an "ICE Produktübergang" which is likely to be more expensive than the difference.
These trains look like ICs, but are labeled as "ICE" -- for example ICE 22 and ICE 1022 on May 19. Is this just a mistake on the web site?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:04 pm

Location: California, United States and Kerikeri, New Zealand
Programs: AA Gold, Air NZ Gold
Connection time in FRA

We arrive FRA at 3:00pm from SFO and want to connect to a ICE to Basel at 3:54. If we carry on, do you think we can make that train? We already have tickets and reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.