Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: M&M, EB
Originally Posted by schley
I'm staying at the Le Meridien Dom hotel right across from the Cathedral. Is the Köln Hbf still the best place for me to arrive?
Absolutely! Distance: Köln Hbf-Dom 100m; Köln Hbf and your Hotel 200m!

The return mentions 1 change somewhere, how does this factor in? Are changes meaning a change in the train at some point I assume? Anything I need to look for?
Change means indeed change the train. Beside the direct connections there are several connections via Köln Messe/Deutz (ICE) or Mainz (Intercity/Eurocity) available. The latter takes more then 2 hours but is definitely the more scenic one as it takes you along the Rhein via Koblenz and Bingen. Unfortunately the connections in Mainz are very tight. Instead of an ICE you might find yourself on a local train instead. Nothing to worry about though as there is a train running to FRA every 20min on average.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
Absolutely! Distance: Köln Hbf-Dom 100m; Köln Hbf and your Hotel 200m!

Change means indeed change the train. Beside the direct connections there are several connections via Köln Messe/Deutz (ICE) or Mainz (Intercity/Eurocity) available. The latter takes more then 2 hours but is definitely the more scenic one as it takes you along the Rhein via Koblenz and Bingen. Unfortunately the connections in Mainz are very tight. Instead of an ICE you might find yourself on a local train instead. Nothing to worry about though as there is a train running to FRA every 20min on average.
100 METERS! Yeah baby! Heck we can walk from the train station to the hotel right? That will save cab fare too. Yes.

How do we know if there are direct connections or changes? Will direct connections show up as a change? I'm assuming the direct connection will mean you stay on the same train but we simply stop to pick people up?

We have a 11:30 a.m. flight from FRA on the morning of the 28th we want to arrive FRA around 9:30 a.m. (although we won't have any luggage to check). Which train option should we select that is the cheapest?

Köln Hbf
Fr, 28.05.10 dep 08:01 1:25 1 S, ICE
Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf Fr, 28.05.10 arr 09:26

Is what I'm seeing but I don't know this change business and how it could impact us.

Any problem with the rationale of booking specific trains instead of a flexible ticket? I don't know what is common but provided our plane lands on time 6:30 am (with no bags checked to pick up) be able to go through Immigration and ready for the 8:30 am train?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
There are lots of non-stop trains between FRA and Köln Hbf, so I would definitely recommend using one of those and save me the hassle of a connection.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:14 pm

How do we know if there are direct connections or changes?
When you look up connections at bahn.de there is a column 'Chg." If it says '0' it's a non-stop connection.

I'm assuming the direct connection will mean you stay on the same train but we simply stop to pick people up?
Correct!
We have a 11:30 a.m. flight from FRA on the morning of the 28th we want to arrive FRA around 9:30 a.m. (although we won't have any luggage to check). Which train option should we select that is the cheapest?

Köln Hbf
Fr, 28.05.10 dep 08:01 1:25 1 S, ICE
Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf Fr, 28.05.10 arr 09:26

Is what I'm seeing but I don't know this change business and how it could impact us.
Looks like this is the cheapest connection right now but a change is required at Köln/Bonn Flughafen (Cologne Airport). If the local train from Köln Hbf to Köln/Bonn Flughafen is late you might miss the ICE to FRA. The ICE won't wait for the local train.

Any problem with the rationale of booking specific trains instead of a flexible ticket? I don't know what is common but provided our plane lands on time 6:30 am (with no bags checked to pick up) be able to go through Immigration and ready for the 8:30 am train?
I assume you talk about your trip from FRA to Köln?
Sounds doable but booking specific trains (saving fares) is always a risk. You can't cancel them on date of travel. So if your flight is delayed and you miss your train your only option is to "open" this ticket for other trains which is charged with 15€ and you have to pay the price difference to the regular ticket. On your way to the railway station (Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof) via the AIRail Terminal there is a ticket counter (Reisezentrum) just in case. No risk no fun.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
If I buy a first class ticket from Koeln to London does that get me Leisure Select on Eurostar?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by price123
If I buy a first class ticket from Koeln to London does that get me Leisure Select on Eurostar?
Yes, it certainly does.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
When you look up connections at bahn.de there is a column 'Chg." If it says '0' it's a non-stop connection.

Correct!

Looks like this is the cheapest connection right now but a change is required at Köln/Bonn Flughafen (Cologne Airport). If the local train from Köln Hbf to Köln/Bonn Flughafen is late you might miss the ICE to FRA. The ICE won't wait for the local train.

I assume you talk about your trip from FRA to Köln?
Sounds doable but booking specific trains (saving fares) is always a risk. You can't cancel them on date of travel. So if your flight is delayed and you miss your train your only option is to "open" this ticket for other trains which is charged with 15€ and you have to pay the price difference to the regular ticket. On your way to the railway station (Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof) via the AIRail Terminal there is a ticket counter (Reisezentrum) just in case. No risk no fun.
OK i feel I'm in deep crap now that I didn't book our train journey earlier. I'm trying to do the following:

Frankfurt airport leaving around 7:30 or 8 am to Köln Hbf. Our hotel is the Le Meridien Dom. May 27th.

We are departing Frankfurt airport the next day May 28th at 11:30 am, thus we need to leave Cologne around 9 I would think.

We want an ICE train both ways. I'm seeing like 100 euros each round trip, we have 5 total. Someone please help as this is 10x's what it was before I think. I have never done it and I'm nervous and confused. Thank you.

Last edited by schley; May 8, 2010 at 10:22 am
Old May 11, 2010, 12:09 am

The cheap tickets are restricted. I took a look, and only a very limited amount of cheap tickets are now available. One option for 58 Euros would be. However, the reduced tickets can be gone in a minute. You have to play around with reiseauskunft.bahn.de . Keep in mind, that this leg is used quite often by commuters. So don't expect many cheap ticket.

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf
Köln Hbf Do, 27.05.10
Do, 27.05.10 ab
an 09:43
10:32 0:49 0 ICE
Return
Köln Hbf
Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf Fr, 28.05.10
Fr, 28.05.10 ab
an 07:20
08:26 1:06 0 ICE

Are you traveling with friends or with (grand)children? There are considerable price difference for (grand)children?
cheers
757DUD
Old May 12, 2010, 3:09 pm

Frankfurt airport leaving around 7:30 or 8 am to Köln Hbf. Our hotel is the Le Meridien Dom. May 27th.

We are departing Frankfurt airport the next day May 28th at 11:30 am, thus we need to leave Cologne around 9 I would think.

We want an ICE train both ways. I'm seeing like 100 euros each round trip, we have 5 total. Someone please help as this is 10x's what it was before I think. I have never done it and I'm nervous and confused. Thank you.
There are still discounted tickets available. Return ticket 58€ for one adult. If you book a ticket for all five together it would be 53,60 each without reservation. To leave Cologne at 9 with a 11.30 departure in FRA sounds like a tight connection to me.
Old May 12, 2010, 3:40 pm

Jubiläums-Ticket/Passes

Jubiläums-Ticket

Buchen Sie am 17.5.2010 das Jubiläums-Ticket und fahren Sie vom 1.6. - 30.6.2010 zu zweit oder auch allein für nur 35,- Euro durch ganz Deutschland! Tickets gibt es nur solange der Vorrat reicht. Das Ticket gilt für die einfache Fahrt in der 2. Klasse, auch im ICE. Sie legen sich bei der Buchung bereits auf einen bestimmten Zug fest.

Nur am 17.5.2010 hier buchbar!
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/ak...umsticket_LZ01

Short summary: May 17th you can book one-way tickets (2nd class) for one or two for 35€ (incl. ICE) while stocks last. Travel period 01.-30.06.2010. As usual you're tied to a certain train. Non-refundable! Supplement for the CNL.

Jubiläums-Pass 175 Stunden - 175 Stunden für 175,- Eur
o

Bestellen Sie vom 17.5.2010 bis 31.8.2010 den Jubiläums-Pass 175 Stunden und fahren Sie zwischen dem 13.6.2010 und 31.8.2010 175 Stunden für 175,- Euro durch ganz Deutschland!

Short summary: Book from May 17th Travel 175 hours for 175€. Travel period 13.6-31.8.2010. All trains can be used. Supplement for the CNL. Refundable before the departure date (Fee 15€).

Jubiläums-Pass - 1 Monat für 299,- Euro

Bestellen Sie vom 17.5.2010 bis 31.8.2010 den Jubiläums-Pass und fahren Sie zwischen dem 13.6.2010 und 31.8.2010 einen Monat lang für 299,- Euro durch ganz Deutschland!

Short summary: Book from May 17th a 1 month train ticket (2nd class) for 299€. Travel period 13.6-31.8.2010. All trains can be used. Supplement for the CNL. Refundable before the departure date (Fee 15€).
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/ak...eumspass.shtml
Old May 13, 2010, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
thanks for posting - very useful
Old May 14, 2010, 9:44 am

GREAT I booked it online. I took a leave of faith and think I got everything dialed in. Got them for 59 each and then 2.5 for prebooking seats or whatever the reservation allows as preferences. Thanks to all who helped with this. I have a hard time deciphering the german etc. Thanks again.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:46 am

DB Saturn Tickets

Saturn in Germany is selling a so called DB Saturn-Ticket between June 6th and 12th.
122€ for 4 one-ways 2nd class within Germany (including ICE).
A bit similiar to the Lidl Tickets. You have to enter date of travel, departure, destination and name.

Travel period: 12.6.-31.8.2010 (not valid on Fridays!)

Note: A part of your travel needs to take place in either ICE and/or IC/EC. A supplement for ICE-Sprinter will be charged . Not valid in CNL!

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/ak...s/saturn.shtml

http://www2.saturn.de/webapp/wcs/sto...2010_AKTION_DB
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Assistance with VRS Online

I will be in DE, making the following trips on the regional train:
Tues, Wed, Thurs = Koln to Rheinbach round-trip
Friday = Koln to Rheinbach, Rheinbach to Bonn
Monday = Bonn to Rheinbach round-trip
Tuesday = Bonn to Rheinbach, Rheinbach to Koln

On the VRS site, (http://www.vrsinfo.de/eng/index.php) I get to this point:
The tariff recommendation should cover
occasional rides OR
periodical rides (commuter's tickets)

First question: Are there any eligibility requirements to purchase "commuter's tickets"? I'm a US citizen visiting my employer's location in Germany.

It looks like if I buy the "WochenTicket" Koln/Rheinbach for 50,40 Euro it is:
- Good for unlimited trips in the tariff zones specified on the card.
- Ticket valid from Monday to end of service of first workday next week.

Second question: Since the Bonn/Rheinbach trip is shorter, is there any issue with using it for Koln/Rheinbach for the first part of my trip and Koln/Bonn the second part?

Third question: Since the ticket is good Monday-Monday, it looks like I will need to buy individual tickets for my Tuesday trips - is there anyway to extend this ticket one day? Or, is there a better option?

Fourth question: Can I use it to travel anywhere over the weekend? If so, are there any limitations and how do I find out what they are?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:55 pm

They don't enter the connection on the Wochenkarte but the zones you travel through. For Köln-Rheinbach you would need 5 zones which means you could travel 2nd class as much as you want with local trains, busses and trams in the VRS area (except for some express busses). I doubt that it's possible to extend it. But to get the Wochenkarte you need a loyalty card (Kundenkarte) from the VRS. I don't know if you need a German passport to get one but as you mentioned you visit your German affiliate so why not ask them to take care of the Kundenkarte & Wochenkarte?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.