FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany
Old May 8, 2010, 10:10 am
schley

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
When you look up connections at bahn.de there is a column 'Chg." If it says '0' it's a non-stop connection.

Correct!

Looks like this is the cheapest connection right now but a change is required at Köln/Bonn Flughafen (Cologne Airport). If the local train from Köln Hbf to Köln/Bonn Flughafen is late you might miss the ICE to FRA. The ICE won't wait for the local train.

I assume you talk about your trip from FRA to Köln?
Sounds doable but booking specific trains (saving fares) is always a risk. You can't cancel them on date of travel. So if your flight is delayed and you miss your train your only option is to "open" this ticket for other trains which is charged with 15€ and you have to pay the price difference to the regular ticket. On your way to the railway station (Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof) via the AIRail Terminal there is a ticket counter (Reisezentrum) just in case. No risk no fun.
OK i feel I'm in deep crap now that I didn't book our train journey earlier. I'm trying to do the following:

Frankfurt airport leaving around 7:30 or 8 am to Köln Hbf. Our hotel is the Le Meridien Dom. May 27th.

We are departing Frankfurt airport the next day May 28th at 11:30 am, thus we need to leave Cologne around 9 I would think.

We want an ICE train both ways. I'm seeing like 100 euros each round trip, we have 5 total. Someone please help as this is 10x's what it was before I think. I have never done it and I'm nervous and confused. Thank you.

Last edited by schley; May 8, 2010 at 10:22 am