Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was able to purchase my ticket easily between FRA and Dortmund and print it on my printer (not an A4). I learned from a thread I started in the Germany forum that my train will change directions in Cologne. I'm hoping that I can easily switch seats so I am not sitting facing backwards. I get motion sickness when I am not seated forwards. I hope it's easy to do. Anyone know if Cologne is the midway point between FRA and Dortmund or closer to one of them?

Also is there a way to find out where my specific train stops and what time those stops are made? I can't find a rail schedule that gives all stops on my train. I'll be on DB ICE 1116. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: M&M, EB
Originally Posted by Analise
I hope it's easy to do. Anyone know if Cologne is the midway point between FRA and Dortmund or closer to one of them?
Cologne is closer to Dortmund. Frankfurt-Cologne ca. 190km, Cologne-Dortmund ca. 100km!

Also is there a way to find out where my specific train stops and what time those stops are made? I can't find a rail schedule that gives all stops on my train. I'll be on DB ICE 1116. Thanks.
It's easy. If you look up connections on the website of the Bahn you can look into the details of every connection. Just click on the train number and you will get all times and stops.

In your case:
Frankfurt(Main)Hbf dep 11:28
Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf arr 11:40 dep 11:43
Köln Hbf 12:40 12:48
Düsseldorf Hbf 13:11 13:14
Duisburg Hbf 13:26 13:28
Essen Hbf 13:38 13:40
Bochum Hbf 13:49 13:51
Dortmund Hbf arr 14:01
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
Cologne is closer to Dortmund. Frankfurt-Cologne ca. 190km, Cologne-Dortmund ca. 100km!

It's easy. If you look up connections on the website of the Bahn you can look into the details of every connection. Just click on the train number and you will get all times and stops.

In your case:
Frankfurt(Main)Hbf dep 11:28
Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf arr 11:40 dep 11:43
Köln Hbf 12:40 12:48
Düsseldorf Hbf 13:11 13:14
Duisburg Hbf 13:26 13:28
Essen Hbf 13:38 13:40
Bochum Hbf 13:49 13:51
Dortmund Hbf arr 14:01
As you yourself have shown, interessierterlaie, in terms of time, Cologne is almost exactly half-way .
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by railways
As you yourself have shown, interessierterlaie, in terms of time, Cologne is almost exactly half-way .
That's why I was talking about distances.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank you! On another thread, someone told me that at Cologne, the train will change directions. I hope it will be easy for me to switch seats as I get a bit motion sick sitting backwards.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Having bought a Dauer Spezial on the CityNightLine from Basel for Erfurt for EUR49, quite a good deal I thought, is it possible to buy a couchette berth on the day of travel? I should have got it when I booked the Dauer Spezial, because it was only EUR59 all included.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: none
Thank you! On another thread, someone told me that at Cologne, the train will change directions. I hope it will be easy for me to switch seats as I get a bit motion sick sitting backwards.
I do not think that the train direction, head reverse, will change in Cologne, as the HBF is a 'through' station.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by kanopemainer
I do not think that the train direction, head reverse, will change in Cologne, as the HBF is a 'through' station.
Some trains on the fast line from Frankfurt to Cologne change direction in Cologne, and some don't. It all depends over which bridge the train crosses the Rhine in Cologne. Some trains to Dortmund even avoid Cologne main station altogether and stop at Cologne-Deutz. The DB schedule doesn't show whether your train does, and the 8 minutes stop in Cologne station doesn't provide enough information either, but it most likely will change direction.

Last edited by Track; Dec 4, 2009 at 9:13 pm
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:33 pm

The German discounter Lidl will sell some cheap Bahn tickets in Germany starting Monday (Dec 07th). For 66€ you get two one-way tickets which you can use in all trains of the DB (inlc. ICE). Just enter the details on your ticket before you start your trip (Departure, destination and date).

Travel period Jan 04th - March 31st 2010 (excluding Fridays).
Also valid for travel between Germany and Austria!

Tickets not valid in the CNL.

For ICE-Sprinter and ÖBB Euronight the usual surcharge has to be paid in addition.

Details are posted in the website of Lidl.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:36 pm

The German discounter Lidl will sell some cheap Bahn tickets in Germany starting Monday (Dec 07th). For 66€ you get two one-way tickets which you can use in all trains of the DB (inlc. ICE). Just enter the details on your ticket before you start your trip (Departure, destination and date).

still many tickets available on ebay. quite a good deal
http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_npmv...All-Categories
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:10 am
KC*

I will be arriving Frankfurt Airport at 6.20am and am thinking of booking my wife and I on the 8.37am iCE to Munich (no discount seats on earlier trains) at 159 Euro for 2 one way first class. A few questions:

1. The conditions says: "Train-specific booking. Exchange/return: EUR 15; excluded from the first day of validity" Does this mean I can cancel ticket for penalty of 15 Euro if necessary?

2. Is this time peak for the train?

3. How do I tell what generation ICE operates on this route?

4. As we have a few pieces of luggage, what seating would be more appropriate?

5. I will have an hour and half to kill (assuming customs and immigration takes a half hour since I am travelling J class). What can I do at the airport or train station. Is there a decent place for cuppa coffee?

Thanks for the advice. This is a really great thread.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by KC*
I will be arriving Frankfurt Airport at 6.20am and am thinking of booking my wife and I on the 8.37am iCE to Munich (no discount seats on earlier trains) at 159 Euro for 2 one way first class. A few questions:

1. The conditions says: "Train-specific booking. Exchange/return: EUR 15; excluded from the first day of validity" Does this mean I can cancel ticket for penalty of 15 Euro if necessary?
It means you can cancel the ticket BEFORE the date of travel and it will cost you 15€. At the date of travel you can NOT. No rebooking as well! So if your flight is delayed and you miss your train your only option is if still possible (who can confirm?) to "open" this ticket for other trains which is charged with 15€ and you have to pay the price difference to the regular ticket. On your way to the railway station (Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof) via the AIRail Terminal there is a ticket counter (Reisezentrum). They should be able to help you and IIRC they are open 06.00-22.00.

5. I will have an hour and half to kill (assuming customs and immigration takes a half hour since I am travelling J class). What can I do at the airport or train station. Is there a decent place for cuppa coffee?
There is a lounge at the station for first class pax. I don't know if it's worth visiting.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:26 am
KC*

Thanks, interessierterlaie.

Those are indeed useful information.

Do you know if there are luggage racks on board the train? I paid for seat assignment but how will I know where my assigned seats are?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by KC*
Do you know if there are luggage racks on board the train?
There are overhead compartments and in some coaches you have racks for bigger luggage as well.

Originally Posted by KC*
I paid for seat assignment but how will I know where my assigned seats are?
Your reservation should show coach and seat number. There are displays out- and inside the train listing the train and coach number. To find out where your coach will stop just check the displays at the platform.

Your train should be an ICE3.
Seatmap: http://ice-fansite.com/joomla/index....126&Itemid=133

As the trains consists of two parts just make sure you enter the one where you have your seats because you can't change when rolling.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:40 am
KC*

Your train should be an ICE3.
Seatmap: http://ice-fansite.com/joomla/index....126&Itemid=133

As the trains consists of two parts just make sure you enter the one where you have your seats because you can't change when rolling.
Thanks - that is most helpful. I think I now figure that our seats are Wagen 27, Seats 82 and 84. Looking at your seat map, we have been put in a 6 person cabin.

Is there a way to change this online? How do we tell which direction the train moves? Sorry for all these silly questions but I suspect the ticket has alot of information in German that I do not understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.