Reload this Page >

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here.
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

German rail passes information: http://www.germanrailpasses.com/pass...FYJ8fgodMR8B5Q

Print Wikipost

Make the most out of your rail travel in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by foreigner
Hi all,

I am needing directions for a trip in October to Germany.

I am staying in Dusseldorf but the trade fair is in Cologne.

My registration for trade fair says this:

"With your e-ticket, you can use all types of public transport of the Rhein-Sieg transport system for free (only in combination with your identity card)."

Now, I understand Dusseldorf is in Rhein-Ruhr area, outside Rhein-Sieg. How best can I use free travel and minimise costs from Dusseldorf? I expect to travel between Dusseldorf Hbf and Cologne Messe daily over 5 days.

If it makes any difference, there are 3 of us travelling together.

Appreciate advice, tips.
Your Rhein-Sieg ticket will get you from Cologne to Langenfeld-Burghausen. I would just buy a ticket each day from Duesseldorf to Langenfeld and then continue on with your Cologne-fair ticket (without getting off the train, of course). Just make sure you don't get on a long-distance train in Duesseldorf, since they are not in the Rhein-Sieg Verkehrsbund.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Track
Your Rhein-Sieg ticket will get you from Cologne to Langenfeld-Burghausen. I would just buy a ticket each day from Duesseldorf to Langenfeld and then continue on with your Cologne-fair ticket (without getting off the train, of course). Just make sure you don't get on a long-distance train in Duesseldorf, since they are not in the Rhein-Sieg Verkehrsbund.
I appreciate your quick reply. Thank you very much. So, it won't be the fast(er) ICE service? I presume service will still be from Hbf in Dusseldorf. Do you know how much each way Dusseldorf-Langerfeld?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by foreigner
I appreciate your quick reply. Thank you very much. So, it won't be the fast(er) ICE service? I presume service will still be from Hbf in Dusseldorf. Do you know how much each way Dusseldorf-Langerfeld?
Dusseldorf - Cologne is a quick trip even with the RE and RB trains. Stations within Dusseldorf city limits are Flughafen (Airport), Hbf and Benrath. Then Leverkusen followed by Cologne-Deutz/Messe next to the fair grounds.

Cost should be less than five euros for the Dusseldorf - Langenfeld service each way if I remember correctly.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by mosburger
Dusseldorf - Cologne is a quick trip even with the RE and RB trains. Stations within Dusseldorf city limits are Flughafen (Airport), Hbf and Benrath. Then Leverkusen followed by Cologne-Deutz/Messe next to the fair grounds.

Cost should be less than five euros for the Dusseldorf - Langenfeld service each way if I remember correctly.
Thank you sir. very useful info for me.

f
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - a little bit more help here On Monday 9/21 - a bunch of us (15+ most likely) are going Munich to Salzburg for the day (returning the same day for most of us). I believe that the Bavaria Regional ticket (28 Euros for up to 5 people for travel on one day) is applicable to most (if not all) trains between Munich & Salzburg? These tickets don't have to be bought until the time of departure at the station (ticket booth or automated kiosk?)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
Ok - a little bit more help here On Monday 9/21 - a bunch of us (15+ most likely) are going Munich to Salzburg for the day (returning the same day for most of us). I believe that the Bavaria Regional ticket (28 Euros for up to 5 people for travel on one day) is applicable to most (if not all) trains between Munich & Salzburg? These tickets don't have to be bought until the time of departure at the station (ticket booth or automated kiosk?)?

Thanks in advance.
You can buy the Bayern Ticket on the day you travel at the DB ticket machine at Salzburg station or at the DB ticket office for a small supplement.

You can only get the regional (RE or RB) trains (after 09:00) - not the EC nor Railjet. There's roughly an RE or RB train every hour.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:46 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'm trying to purchase a ticket for the ICE train from Dusseldorf City to CGN airport next Monday morning. I'm running into problems. First the site will not accept anything I enter for the phone number (a required field whether or not I'm purchasing or trying to register then purchase). How do I input a US phone number? One + area code + phone number is rejected.

Also since there is no time to receive a ticket in the mail, I'm choosing to pay 4,00 EUR for a seat reservation w/o a ticket. What does this mean exactly? Can I print the ticket at home or do I have to pick it up somewhere?

Latly, what is the difference between center aisle coach (seems self
explanatory) vs compartment? I have to choose one or the other. TIA

update: I figured out the phone number. Still confused about the ticket pricing. The fare quote for Dus to CGN was 14.50 EUR, but on the payment page I'm being quoted 4 EUR for seat reservation only (for self-printing). Will the total charge be €18.50?

Last edited by aau; Oct 19, 2009 at 5:02 pm
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
missed connections on discount tickets

bahn.de repeatedly offers fairly tight connection options when I try to book tickets. Given that the Dauer-Spezial, Sparpreis 50 and 25 tickets all require the traveler to use the specified trains, will the traveler be left holding the bag if a late train causes him/her to miss a connection?
What are the rules related to missed connections on these discounted tickets?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by anandrg
bahn.de repeatedly offers fairly tight connection options when I try to book tickets. Given that the Dauer-Spezial, Sparpreis 50 and 25 tickets all require the traveler to use the specified trains, will the traveler be left holding the bag if a late train causes him/her to miss a connection?
What are the rules related to missed connections on these discounted tickets?
If your train arrives late and you miss the connection, go to the information booth (idiotically called the "service point") and have your ticket endorsed for the next train.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Track
If your train arrives late and you miss the connection, go to the information booth (idiotically called the "service point") and have your ticket endorsed for the next train.

danke schoen!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:46 am

Question Is there a Gruppe Dauer Spezial?

I want to buy Berlin - Paris on the ICE for early January for a group of 7 people. On Bahn.de a Dauer-Spezial shows up for €88 per person but only allows a booking of upto 5 adults. A message pops-up saying that a booking for 6 or more people is considered a group subject to different pricing. However, I can't find this different group pricing anywhere on the site.
For a specific single journey like this, is there something like a Gruppe Dauer-Spezial? Or should I just take the €88 per person and make 2 bookings since I am only allowed a max of 5 per booking there.
Can I make a group booking elsewhere on bahn.de? Or should this be done at a ReiseZentrum?

thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by anandrg
I want to buy Berlin - Paris on the ICE for early January for a group of 7 people. On Bahn.de a Dauer-Spezial shows up for €88 per person but only allows a booking of upto 5 adults. A message pops-up saying that a booking for 6 or more people is considered a group subject to different pricing. However, I can't find this different group pricing anywhere on the site.
For a specific single journey like this, is there something like a Gruppe Dauer-Spezial? Or should I just take the €88 per person and make 2 bookings since I am only allowed a max of 5 per booking there.
Can I make a group booking elsewhere on bahn.de? Or should this be done at a ReiseZentrum?

thanks.
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/gr...ppe_spar.shtml

Seems that they offer discounts up to 70% of the Normalpreis. But then this could be Ryanair-esque marketing jargon...Better check for yourself what specific condiitions apply in your case.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
There is an interesting special offer for travel anywhere in Germany for EUR20. It is a Berlin Wall Special, and the travel can include ICE trains anywhere within Germany. It is valid for one way trips only, so a round trip has to be booked as two one ways. It can only be purchased on 9th November, between roughly 3pm and the following 3am local time. You need to check this, because I am writing from memory. As I remember, the date range for travel is from 15th November to 1st December, but once again, check this. Hope you can make use of it. I can't.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: M&M, EB
Mauerfall Spezial

For travel between November 12th and December 1st 2009

Booking
online: Nov 9th 18:57MEZ until Nov 10th 03:00MEZ
Reisezentrum: starting Nov 9th 18:57MEZ until closure

Destination and departure time have to be confirmed
No changes
No refund
max. 5 Tickets per person
Price: 20€
valid for a single journey. Outbound and return journeys can also be booked.
2nd class only
can´t be combined with other discounts like Bahncard
No discount for kids
ICE; Intercity, Eurocity. Local and regional express trains can be used before/after main leg of journey. City Night Line subject to a supplement. Valid only on booked train.
while stocks last
Das Mauerfall-Spezial.
Für nur 20,- Euro durch ganz Deutschland reisen!

Nutzen Sie jetzt das Mauerfall-Spezial der Bahn und reisen Sie für nur 20,- Euro quer durch Deutschland – sogar im ICE! Das Ticket gilt für die 2. Klasse, solange der Vorrat reicht.

Für Bahnfahrten vom 12.11.2009 bis 1.12.2009.

Nur wenige Stunden buchbar!

* hier im Internet vom 9.11.2009, 18:57 Uhr, bis 10.11.2009, 3 Uhr.
* im Reisezentrum am 9.11.2009, ab 18:57.
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/ak...7181&et_sub=mf
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a great thread. Thank you! I actually reread my thread I started when I travelled to Hagen from FRA. I forgot that I had problems purchasing my ticket. I so hope that won't be the case. Oh and I don't have access to an A4 printer. So I assume letter-sized will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.