Lite beer in Europe...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lite beer in Europe...?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Guinness Draught only has 125 calories, and is available all over 'continental Europe'
http://diet.ivillage.com/issues/isna...m098-2,00.html

Even in the UK, low-carb 'lite beers' have made very little inroads into the market. Bud Light and Coors Light both bombed here.

If it is just a holiday in Europe, why not relax and try something local with a few more calories - isn't that what vacations are for?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Bitburger makes a lite beer (check out below)

http://www.bitburger.com/index.php?id=1149

I've never tried it, though. I'd assume it is to be found all of Germany.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:42 am

in spain, try Amstel light, I believe it is brewewd under license by a Spanish Brewery. As for American BUD / Bud Light. I don't recall seeing it anywhere. But I'm sure it'll be somewhere, just make sure to check the born on date!!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by DorianGray
I appreciate all the help, however I am NOT looking for beer that has less alcohol. I am looking for Lite Beer from America, which means LESS CALORIES, but no difference in alcohol. Anyone know of any way to get this anywhere in continental Europe?
Nope, I usually settle for Bud on the rocks avail in most grocery stores (at a prem price)
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by etch5895
Bitburger makes a lite beer (check out below)

http://www.bitburger.com/index.php?id=1149

I've never tried it, though. I'd assume it is to be found all of Germany.

Alcohol: 2.8 % vol.
Not quite what the OP is looking for. I've tried it, it tastes like watered down Bitburger. Bitburger is excellent, this version is nothing to get excited about. Still better than American light beers though.

Oh, and Warsteiner Hi-Light tastes like crap.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: StarAlliance
Lite Beer

Frankly speaking - who wants and needs this crap here in Europe. It is bad enough to have already a Starbucks coffee culture selling overpriced colored water in plastic cups. If the endless varieties of European beers are too strong for you, why not try one of the million mineral waters ?
pstm91 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:01 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by LH7119
Frankly speaking - who wants and needs this crap here in Europe. It is bad enough to have already a Starbucks coffee culture selling overpriced colored water in plastic cups. If the endless varieties of European beers are too strong for you, why not try one of the million mineral waters ?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, LH7119! And thank you for saying what many of us wanted to, but were too polite to say.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:05 am

Programs: M&M, Flying Blue, MilleMiglia
Some facts for German beers:

Pils: 5,0% alc., 440 kcal
Wheat beer: 5,5%, 470 kcal
Lager:5,0%, 430 kcal
Bock: 7,2%, 630 kcal (maybe the wrong one in this case)
Koelsch: 4,9%, 410 kcal
Alt: 5,0%, 430 kcal

And finally the german light beer with only 270 kcal, but with the drawback of only 2.9% alcohol. So propably the Koelsch will be the best choice in that case for Germany.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
The "Lite" beer fad is trying to take of here in Australia we have two lite beers. But some how I find it hard to imagine Europeans getting into it especially Germans and Poms
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:17 pm
Suspended

"What???? Why would you want to get Light Bier in Europa? Why go to Europe in the first place?"

Some people, such as diabetics, can't drink full strength beer due to the residual sugar. Others like to be able to have a drink and actually drive somewhere. While a generic light beer will certainly not hold up against the excellent beer of europe, they do have a place. Were one to sit down and drink full strength German, Belgian, etc, beer all day, your palette would be saturated and you'd be unbelievably drunk.

The American version of light or lite beer has both reduced alcohol (generally 4% v 5%) and reduced calories and thus carb content.

"The "Lite" beer fad is trying to take of here in Australia we have two lite beers."

Australia has sensible light beer. Full strength, low carb and low calorie. The Blonde is particularly good. That's a huge compliment given the garbage (no offense, lots of other redeeming qualities of the country) they pass off as beer there. Why get rid of the alcohol just because someone wants less calories?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:51 am

I bought Coors Liight in Andorra,which has 5 carbs. If it is available in Andorra, it probably is in Spain too. I have not seen a low-carb beer anywhere else in my travels.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by DorianGray
Well, the Rheinheitsgebot doesnt exist anymore. The EU killed that. I am a big beer aficionado, however I am looking for something like Bud Lite, Coors Lite, etc. Have seen them in the UK but nowhere else. Looking to buy in Spain...

Thanks!!!
A beer aficionado looking for a Bud, Coors, etc. - talk about an oxymoron.

If you are in Spain, your options are certainly limited. Estrella Galicia had a light beer but not sure if it still exists. You will need to find a "world of beer" type bar or store to get a good selection. All of the regular bars will only serve the local beer for the most part. If you are in Seville, Cruzcampo is pretty light. Also some Irish Pubs will have Heineken light.

My advice - you're traveling - enjoy what's offered locally, not what you can get at home any time.
farci and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
pstm: Your comments to DorianGray are quite 'present tense'. You may not have noticed that the query to which you are responding was posted 14 1/2 years ago!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
pstm: Your comments to DorianGray are quite 'present tense'. You may not have noticed that the query to which you are responding was posted 14 1/2 years ago!
I saw that after I posted haha. I was just hoping no one else would notice! Thought it was funny so left it.

I stand by my sentiments
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:12 am
Suspended

Bumping a 14+ year-old thread, IDK..

And that's what the user in question created an account for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.