Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lite beer in Europe...?

Lite beer in Europe...?

Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Lite beer in Europe...?

Anyone know if there is ANY POSSIBLE WAY to get LITE BEER in EUROPE?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by DorianGray
Anyone know if there is ANY POSSIBLE WAY to get LITE BEER in EUROPE?
Do you mean (a) Miller Lite or (b) light beer?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:11 pm

I know that Coors Light is available in several pubs in Ireland. I have to confess that I don't drink light/lite beer, so I may have missed some other brands.

Where exactly in Europe are you looking for it?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Amstel light (2.5%) is one of the biggest in Europe. Plus there are other smaller breweries that make light beer. If you are looking for light calorie beer then you can get Bud light. What part of Europe are you in?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Yuck...lite beer.

In Germany, some clubs and/or supermarkets sell Anheuser Busch products, but you will pay a premium for them.

If it is a lighter beer taste you are looking for, try Kolsch bier (usually found in the environs of Cologne / Bonn). Also, some of the Pilsner beers might fit the bill. For low calorie beer...Good Luck. Some of the supermarkets may sell them, but I haven't been to Germany in several months, so I don't know.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
What???? Why would you want to get Light Bier in Europa? Why go to Europe in the first place?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:21 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
For alcohol free premium beer, you could try Weihenstephan Weizen alkoholfrei. Was just recommended that yesterday by a friend whos acting profession makes him count the calories as opposed to losing out on roles.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:54 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Silly question: What exactly does "lite beer" mean? Beer without (or with little) alcohol, or low calory beer with artificial substitutes instead of the normal ingredients?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Kathrin
Silly question: What exactly does "lite beer" mean? Beer without (or with little) alcohol, or low calory beer with artificial substitutes instead of the normal ingredients?
By American definition, it usually means low calorie beer. By my (beer loving biased)opinion, it refers to a beer devoid of beer flavor, made with multiple artificial ingredients, has to be drunk ice cold to stun the taste buds. Most also tend to have lower alcohol content.

Give me a Rheinheitsgebot brewed beer anytime. The closest Deutsche equivilant (and this is still a long shot) would probably be a Kolschbier, or maybe a lower hopped Pils.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etch5895

Give me a Rheinheitsgebot brewed beer anytime.

Well, the Rheinheitsgebot doesnt exist anymore. The EU killed that. I am a big beer aficionado, however I am looking for something like Bud Lite, Coors Lite, etc. Have seen them in the UK but nowhere else. Looking to buy in Spain...

Thanks!!!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
The Reinheitsgebot still exists, although it is not forced by law any more, but all decent German breweries accept and follow it. The EU unfortunately killed the law, so the imported artificial stuff is not forbidden any more. It will be available in the lowest shelf of large supermarkets and in certain touristy surroundings. No Germans who have their brains in the right place and shape would buy that crap, though.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:33 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Kathrin
The Reinheitsgebot still exists, although it is not forced by law any more, but all decent German breweries accept and follow it. The EU unfortunately killed the law, so the imported artificial stuff is not forbidden any more. It will be available in the lowest shelf of large supermarkets and in certain touristy surroundings. No Germans who have their brains in the right place and shape would buy that crap, though.
Amen! I fully agree with you on this one.

As for light beer, there are also "light" variations offered by various European (and even German) breweries. I'm not that familiar with the Spanish beer market, but I would think it's usually best just to ask. The phrase in Spanish would probably be something like "Quiero cerveza con medio alcool" (alcool is pronounced al-col), which would be "I want beer with half the normal alcohol." That should get you what you're looking for.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:44 am

Well, the Rheinheitsgebot doesnt exist anymore. The EU killed that. I am a big beer aficionado, however I am looking for something like Bud Lite, Coors Lite, etc. Have seen them in the UK but nowhere else. Looking to buy in Spain...

Thanks!!!
Another option is Corona. Supermarkets and Getrankemarts often carry this as a premium beer. I've never been to Spain, but I have had a Spanish beer called 'San Miguel' (if memory serves), and it was a lighter lager. I'm sure you will be able to find at least one American lite beer wherever you go. Like with our fast food joints and eating habits, we keep spreading and spreading and spreading...
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:26 am
Original Poster

I appreciate all the help, however I am NOT looking for beer that has less alcohol. I am looking for Lite Beer from America, which means LESS CALORIES, but no difference in alcohol. Anyone know of any way to get this anywhere in continental Europe?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:55 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I appreciate all the help, however I am NOT looking for beer that has less alcohol. I am looking for Lite Beer from America, which means LESS CALORIES, but no difference in alcohol. Anyone know of any way to get this anywhere in continental Europe?
So you want something like the "low-carb" beer that's being sold in the US? Good luck, that particular craze has yet to hit Europe, Atkins is nowhere near as known or practiced here as he is in the States.

The only beer I can think of that would fit the bill is Warsteiner Hi-Light, which has 4.1% alcohol and 30% less calories than regular Warsteiner. It's only being sold in Germany so far, and even then it's hard to find.

But then again, at an average of 220 calories per liter, regular beer still has less calories than whole milk, at 330 calories per liter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.