My European Vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My European Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Hey thanks a lot for the posts. I really enjoy reading about places to go and problems associated with trips. One thing i am confused about is train tickets. I am buying a Youth Eurorail Flexpass which enables me to travel within a 2 month period, however at each "hub" it seems that i need to purchase the tickets in advance. For instance, this website, http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fa...ules/index.htm, makes it seem that i need to buy my tickets in advance. This is why i have put together such a rigid schedule. Do i need to buy the tickets in advance, as i plan, or can i buy them the day of travel? And if i do buy them through that website and decide i want to spend an extra day somewhere, or cut a day out, can i change my tickets?

If someone could help me out with these answers it would be quite helpful. Also i mentioned Scuba Diving in Italy. It seems that the island of Sardinia has some good Scuba and can be had in a day Via Ferry from Rome Civitavecchia Port. Anyone been there or have any comments?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:21 am

If you have a railpass then your railpass is your ticket. What additional tickets do you think you need?

There are some - very few - trains on which you need to reserve a seat. Unless you are travelling on a train which requires a seat reservation you just hop on and find an empty seat.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:13 pm

As Aviatrix said, your railpass is your ticket. With your flexi pass, once you arrive in Europe, go to a train station and "validate" it so that it is basically activated. On the day you want to travel by train, just mark in the day and month in the appropriate slots on the flexi-pass and you can hop on and off as many trains (not local metro's though) as you like for most part. You just wander around and find a seat. If you can't find one, you just have to hang out by doors or somewhere out of the way.

The "catch" is some "specialty" trains (like the high speed trains, some overnight ones, etc) require you to make/buy a reservation ahead of time and pay a supplemental charge. Case in point, I think you mentioned that you are going from Amsterdam to Paris so I'm assuming you'll need to take the Thalys. If you bought a reservation on the Thalys without your Eurail pass, it would cost you about ~$150. If you buy a reservation with your Eurail pass, it would only cost you about ~$20 (very rough).

If you have to make a reservation, you don't have to buy it through that website. You can just go to the local train station and buy it day of; the risk of buying day of, of course, is that they run of of seats/reservations. It's a PITA to change reservations and I don't think you can a full refund back.
There are typically multiple journeys to the same destination so if you can't get on the one you want, you'll likely be able to get on a later one.

Websites we've used info on train travel are:
Rick Steves (http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/rail_menu.htm)
The Man in Seat Sixty-One (http://www.seat61.com/index.html)

For schedule info:
http://www.bahn.de
But for more up to date info, go to website of the national train lines which you identify off The Man in Seat Sixty-One web sites.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jay71
If you bought a reservation on the Thalys without your Eurail pass, it would cost you about ~$150. If you buy a reservation with your Eurail pass, it would only cost you about ~$20 (very rough).
Isn't there an additional supplement you must pay on this train in addition to the seat reservation fee, even for pass holders?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
UPOD;

The great thing about being 20 is that there is less jet lag and less need to stop in a little cafe and look at the world go by. This is going to be a GREAT first time European trip. Forget all those museums and churches. Get a feel for the place and I can bet you will come back again and again.

One suggestion:
Flights in Europe can be late by a few hours at a time and getting from the airport to the center of town may be easy or hard, in other words a little unpredictable and bumpy.
If you can avoid it, I would do less flying and more train. It is flexible and reversible and allows you to change your plans at the last moment.

Oh, one other thing Dublin and Amsterdam totally rule. Spend a little more time there and less in Rome.

the best.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by gilpin
Isn't there an additional supplement you must pay on this train in addition to the seat reservation fee, even for pass holders?
We did an Amsterdam to Paris to Brussels to Amsterdam trip this spring and did our Amsterdam to Paris and Paris to Brussels legs on Thalys. The cost was about $20 per person each way. I cautiously say no, there is no additional seat supplement on top of the seat reservation fee. I say "cautiously" because I don't recall there being for two fees or anyone asking if we wanted one or the other or both. We just paid $20 (or so) so I'm assuming the supplement fee is the reservation fee.

[A bit of a gripe... even though we had reserved seats, on both legs we had to kick people out of our seats so that we could sit beside each other. The Thalys trains were packed (I'm guessing due to the Ascension Day long weekend).]

In comparison to the unpredictability of flights... trains can have issues too. I don't know if it's our luck or what but we've hit a number of snags on our train travels in Europe from a strike in Spain that cancelled all cross border trips; to crap on the power lines that delayed us in the middle of nowhere in France for three hours, causing us to get into Paris at 2am; to track work in the Netherlands that forced us to take a free coach detour (which we expected) that didn't have enough busses for all the passengers (which we didn't expect).
I'm not trying to turn off the OP on choosing train travel because I think it's probably a better option for most of her legs but train travel has it's occasional hiccups too.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
[A bit of a gripe... even though we had reserved seats, on both legs we had to kick people out of our seats so that we could sit beside each other. The Thalys trains were packed (I'm guessing due to the Ascension Day long weekend).]
This is something you have to expect and accept on a European train journey.

Most seats are only reserved for part of a train journey, and it is normal and expected that those without reservations will sit in seats that are reserved for a later part of the journey - and move from seat to seat as other seats become available. If no other seats are available people will normally stay put until their seat is claimed by the person who has a reservation for it - hoping that maybe, just maybe that person won't turn up.

So... nothing to get annoyed about; if there is someone in your reserved seat they will expect you to come and claim it.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Good on ya UPOD. I did a few minimum time, maximum destination trips back in the late 80's and loved it. Now I'm a bit older, and a little better off, I've gone back to many of those places and spent so called 'quality' time.

You've got many excellent comments in the posts above about your plan and have nothing extra to add, except, please rethink Florence. At the very least overnight so you get 24 hrs to explore.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by UPOD
So here's the deal, i am twenty years old and traveling to Europe with 6 of my friends from USC in August. Actually, 3 of us are leaving LA on July 24, while the others are leaving August 1st. We plan to meet in Rome on August 3rd, and we leave Europe on August 21st. Here are my tentative plans, let me know what you think.

Arrive at London (Heathrow Airport) 12:25pm August 25th. Stay in London until 6:40pm July 27 when i depart to Stockholm, Sweden. I will stay in Stockholm (take a boat tour around the islands, rent bikes, go fishing) until the 31st when i depart to Rome. I arrive in Rome at 9:40am on the 31st and stay there until Aug 5th when i depart for Florence at 8:30am. Since i am in Rome for an extended period of time i might head south towards Sicily in order to Scuba Dive, or i may check out the Chinquetera (regardless i have to meet my friends in Rome on the 3rd of August). I stop in Florence for a mere 5 hours, i have heard that is all that's necessary, and procede to Venice. I arive at Venice at 2:39pm Ausgust 5th and leave 8:44 pm August 6th (once again i heard from multiple people this is adequate time). From Venice i arrive in Vienna on August 7th at 8:30am and leave at 3:30pm August 8th to Prague. I arrive at Prague at 7:32pm and stay until 9:22am on August 10th when i depart to Berlin. I arrive in Berlin at 2:18 and stay until 12:39 on August 12th when i leave for Amsterdam. I arrive at Amsterdam at 6:49pm Aug 12 and stay until Aug 15th when i leave at 8am for Paris. I arrive at Paris at 11:05am and stay until 1:20 on August 18 when i depart for Dublin (this is the easiest and cheapest way to get back to London, as i fly from Paris to Dublin and then Dublin to London via Ryanair). I arrive in Dublin at 1:50 on August 18th and stay until 5:50pm on August 20th when i depart for London. I arrive in London at 7pm and fly out the next day at 12pm for Los Angeles.
This may seem hectic to you but keep in mind i am twenty years old, backpacking, and quite able to live at a fast pace. My dad, 2 sisters and cousin are very experienced when it comes to European travel and i have taken their advice as to how long it takes to see a city and factored it into my trip. I am not trying to stay a week at a time per city; rather, i want to see as much as possible and try to maximize my time in the best places.

Let me know what you think. PS: i am flying from London to Stockholm, Stockholm to Rome, Paris to Dublin, and Dublin to London. All via Ryanair.
I hate to say it but this trip sounds more like the amazing race thru europe at times than a vacation. First thing I would do is take prague off the list. It will be packed with tourist and from having been there I really wasnt impressed with it.Especally after I had no more than 3 attempts by thugs to pick my pocket which I have never had happen to me anywhere else in the world! I cant believe that anyone who is experienced at european would only suggest one day in vienna. It's a classical european city which desrives more time. Also I would stay in london more than 2 days. Since this im assuming is your first time across the pond the jetlag is going to hit you hard.You arent going to get to see much of london nor will you experience the excellent nightlife london has.Also I noticed that your flying ryanair quite a bit.Your gonna need to factor in the time it takes to get to the secondary and tertiary which while having good public transit can take much longer to get to.As far as partying and getting up early goes trust me I've tried it before and it really doesnt work so well when on vacation! I think you should rethink certain aspects of your trip but I think a good chunk of it sounds like fun!
cheers
howie
Ps.I'm a 22 yr old who has been lucky enough to travel alot!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:22 pm

Don't you love posters who don't bother to read any of the responses to the OP, and then post a long compilation of things which have already been said?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:24 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
For me any trip to Europe is a great trip! I would highly recommend like others that you spend more time in Florence. Florence is a fantastic city with lots to see and do plus some great night clubs. I had my first trip to Europe when I was 19/20. I lived in Dublin for 3 months then did the rush around Europe. Have you thought about a Contiki tour? They are a great way to see loads in a short while. I did a 21 day Contiki. It's rushed but gives you a taste of what this great continent has to offer and it’s a great way to meet new friends! I have been back to Europe 4 times since and going again this year and I’m 24. So if you really want to rush your trip then take it on and you will know where you want to spend longer next time. So much to see and do so little time and money
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
I hope UPOD will correct me if I'm wrong, but when he says "partying", I think he means hanging out with his friends and doing whatever the group wants to do to enjoy themselves......don't think he means the club scene. I think the middle part is the most problematic.....I would skip Venice and spend an extra day in Florence.....the Prague-Vienna-Berlin thing could use some changing. LapLap, UPOD has no idea he is taunting Europeans....he just wants to see as much as he can in the time he has. I must say, that if Europeans can feel taunted by a travel itinerary, I am surprised. There is so much that is completely different within Europe itself and between the US and that continent that Americans can easily become too enthusiastic, not wanting to miss a thing. By the way, and I don't normally answer one adverse commentary with my own, but Americans cannot imagine why so many travel across the pond to Orlando. There is much to see and do here that is not plastic. One last point, I think that the perception of the OP's trip reflects a generational gap, even though I'm sure many here are GenXers....UPOD has said he is of the age of twenty. UPOD, if you can, try to modify the part after Rome and before Berlin. Also, a word of advice to you....Rome is a beautiful and exciting city, even if you are not interested in art. I would leave your scuba gear at home where you can always use it. You can probably get to the Keys for a lot less than this trip is costing. Have a great trip and enjoy it all!

Last edited by VA747; Jul 13, 2006 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by VA747
I hope UPOD will correct me if I'm wrong, but when he says "partying", I think he means hanging out with his friends and doing whatever the group wants to do to enjoy themselves......don't think he means the club scene.
Maybe a difference in interpretation between Australia and the US but if I am saying I am wanting to "party" then I am thinking about taking in the European night life seeing some of the cool clubs and getting "friendly with the natives" It does not have to mean massive non stop nights out but I am sure the OP is interested in going out. If the Op wanted to just hang out with friend would UPOD not say I want to see as much as I can and hang out with my friends. Any way if you do want to get a taste of European night life you will have a great time
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:35 pm

Here are your options for a 5 hour stopover in Florence remember its peak season.

1. wait in line at the Duomo, climb the Duomo, take a picture, climb down, catch your train.
2. wait in line at the Uffizi (since its a hectic trip you probably won't be making reservations from Rome) for tickets, see museum, see something else on the way back to the train station.
3. walk to the ponte vecchio, take a cab to piazza michelangelo, take a picture, eat somewhere good, walk around really quick, catch your train.

You really are going to be spending alot of time traveling with this itin. 1 example Rome to Cinque Terre is 4 hours+ 5-6 hours+ from Roma Termini to whatever your hotel room in CT is going to be.

I'd personally skip some cities and chill in others for more days. If you did 3 days in 5 cities thats 18 days + 2 days of air travel. Since thats not happening, to squeeze that erratic itin which is a little all over the place my best suggestion would be to pack lite, very lite, then things will be easier. Get a softsided backpack and don't bring much. As you pass other American tourists with 250lbs of stuff on their back climbing up steep graded streets you will be happy you packed it lite.

Wanted to add this: Since you're traveling with a group, your itin probably won't stay the way it is anyways--plan on that. Just go with the flow. You will hear about something cool you will want to check out and that might change things too. It might even split the group, that happens quite often.

Last edited by Pointeater; Jul 13, 2006 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:45 am

If you really are a 20 year old my guess is your priorities would include meeting european women and night-life. You options for these two will be exteremely limited based on this itinerary. I would focus on Amsterdam and Ibiza in Spain. Barcelona would make for a good stopover - fly low cost ams-bcn and take a ferry over to Ibiza town - or get a one week package deal in Ams (cheap and easy). Save Italy for when your already hooked up - It's expensive as hell and the night-life in Italy is nothing to write home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.