Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 7 morning IST I can guest one Skyteam flyer to ST lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
March 7 morning IST then later CDG T2E I can guest one Skyteam flyer to ST lounge

I'm a ST elite+, my AF flight leaves around 7am. It seems like I can bring a guest if you are flying on a Skyteam flight within 24 hours. I need to check a bag, and arrive at IST around the midnight between March 6 and 7, hopefully check in is open and let me drop my bag and go to the lounge around that time. Worst case, I should be able to go to lounge around 4-5am.

Later on March 7, I can guest another at CDG T2E between around 9am till 5pm.

Please read this and make sure you're eligible to enter the lounge:
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/istanbul

Last edited by maverikbc; Mar 1, 2023 at 5:53 am
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc
I'm a ST elite+, my AF flight leaves around 7am. It seems like I can bring a guest if you are flying on a Skyteam flight within 24 hours. I need to check a bag, and arrive at IST around the midnight between March 6 and 7, hopefully check in is open and let me drop my bag and go to the lounge around that time. Worst case, I should be able to go to lounge around 4-5am.

Later on March 7, I can guest another at CDG T2E between around 9am till 5pm.

Please read this and make sure you're eligible to enter the lounge:
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/istanbul
While I'm not flying on Tuesday, just a reminder that the Air France check-in desks would not open that far in advance so you would need to wait until the counters open. My next AF flight out of IST is next month so can't comment on the actual check-in opening times but it wouldn't be earlier than 04:00-04:30 for a 07:35 departure where the AF desks would open.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
While I'm not flying on Tuesday, just a reminder that the Air France check-in desks would not open that far in advance so you would need to wait until the counters open. My next AF flight out of IST is next month so can't comment on the actual check-in opening times but it wouldn't be earlier than 04:00-04:30 for a 07:35 departure where the AF desks would open.
Thanks, that's helpful, that's along with my general expectation at an outstation.

I had a slight hope they may be open late into the night, because:
* ST lounge itself is open 24 hours.
* AF may share the bag drop with KL and other ST airlines, so it increases my chance of dropping my bag late night.

I'm coming from other region in TR, so I'm still arriving at IST around midnight as planned. I can't justify the cost of a hotel (wow they're now expensive as Japan) a night before for a morning flight. I'll check out sleepinginairports.net, but do you recommend any spots to kill a few hours before bag drop opens?

I later realized that I have 9hrs layover during the day at CDG T2E, so I can guest another ST flyer, so I went to edit the title. I see it's edited when I go edit my thread, but when I go to Europe home, I still see the old title. We can't update the titles?

Gov of Canada warned there will be a general strike in France on 7th and 8th, I also heard some air traffic controllers are participating. I still don't see any advisories on AF site, and no schedule change yet. I'll definitely stay at CDG the whole time.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc
Thanks, that's helpful, that's along with my general expectation at an outstation.

I had a slight hope they may be open late into the night, because:
* ST lounge itself is open 24 hours.
* AF may share the bag drop with KL and other ST airlines, so it increases my chance of dropping my bag late night.

I'm coming from other region in TR, so I'm still arriving at IST around midnight as planned. Ican't justify the cost of a hotel (wow they're now expensive as Japan) a night before for a morning flight. I'll check out sleepinginairports.net, but do you recommend any spots to kill a few hours before bag drop opens?

I later realized that I have 9hrs layover during the day at CDG T2E, so I can guest another ST flyer, so I went to edit the title. I see it's edited when I go edit my thread, but when I go to Europe home, I still see the old title. We can't update the titles?

Gov of Canada warned there will be a general strike in France on 7th and 8th, I also heard some air traffic controllers are participating. I still don't see any advisories on AF site, and no schedule change yet. I'll definitely stay at CDG the whole time.
KL cancelled their night stopper at IST, a few years ago, so no luck on checking in at another airline counter. AF/KL used to share desks at IST when they had flights at similar timings.
The airport YOTEL was always a significant markup due to the monopoly and the high occupancy rates. I wouldn't say you have much options landside other than sitting at a caf either at the arrivals level, or at the departures level.

Also if your domestic flight is operated by TK, they would through check baggage on other carriers on separate tickets upon request. If you could get a mobile boarding pass for the IST-CDG leg, just ask for that and head straight to international connections with that boarding pass after arriving from your domestic flight if your bag is checked all the way to your final destination. If so, then you would be able to enjoy all the night at the Skyteam Lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

KL cancelled their night stopper at IST, a few years ago, so no luck on checking in at another airline counter. AF/KL used to share desks at IST when they had flights at similar timings.
The airport YOTEL was always a significant markup due to the monopoly and the high occupancy rates. I wouldn't say you have much options landside other than sitting at a caf either at the arrivals level, or at the departures level.

Also if your domestic flight is operated by TK, they would through check baggage on other carriers on separate tickets upon request. If you could get a mobile boarding pass for the IST-CDG leg, just ask for that and head straight to international connections with that boarding pass after arriving from your domestic flight if your bag is checked all the way to your final destination. If so, then you would be able to enjoy all the night at the Skyteam Lounge.
Yotel was already expensive when hotel prices in Istanbul were a lot lower.

Now the metro is open, if I had a money, I'd open a modest hotel at first station from the airport!

It's interesting you telling me TK can thru check bags to AF. I have a separate WS ticket, and I know AF/KL are partners, so I guess I could ask them to thru check, but with the general strike in FR, and still general poor staffing levels at CA airports, I'm not 100% sure if it's a good idea... I'll have to make a decision. If my AF flight can't make a connection to my WS flight (currently it has a 10hr layover from AF to WS), and my WS ticket is non changeable and non refundable, I don't know how easy it is to retrieve my bag if I buy another ticket from anyone else than WS.

I'm coming to Istanbul by train the night before.

I've done TK international to international overnight transfers at IST a few times, I always appreciate they thru check my bags despite overnight (good luck with asking for this in US), because for CA passport holders, 50 for a visa for several hours of 'stay' really isn't worth it. And Yotel knows it, so they charge premium.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Im also looking at a similar fare. So I guess if I fly AF/KL, there is no way to get more than three hours at the SkyTeam lounge IST?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
Im also looking at a similar fare. So I guess if I fly AF/KL, there is no way to get more than three hours at the SkyTeam lounge IST?
MEA, Kenya, Garuda are departing throughout the night, so I guess they keep the lounge open, and for connecting pax among them. I'll keep my expectation low, and will report.
​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.