Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long have Gold security lanes at T3 at Schipol (AMS) been?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 6:36 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

Reading of the staffing shortages at security at AMS and six-hour waits expected to last through summer. I’m curious what kind of wait times the Gold lanes are seeing, specifically at T3 in early afternoon.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:43 pm

When mentioning six-hour waits do you mean six-hours of queuing? This is so extreme, it simply sounds unbelievable. It sounds as if the geniuses running AMS never thought that people would start flying again after the "end" of the C19 pandemic. The excuses I read were so stupid: many retirements as if these came unespectedly, or even more stupid, many employees calling-in sick, i.e. more sick people than during the pandemic? If the reasons indicated are true, though, I can only cite Marcellus: something is rotten in the State of the Netherlands...

Last edited by KLouis; May 27, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Old May 27, 2022, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
When mentioning six-hour waits do you mean six-hours of queuing? This is so extreme, it simply sounds unbelievable. It sounds as if the geniuses running AMS never thought that people would start flying again after the "end" of the C19 pandemic. The excuses I read were so stupid: many retirements as if these came unespectedly, or even more stupid, many employees calling-in sick, i.e. more sick people than during the pandemic? If the reasons indicated are true, though, I can only cite Marcellus: there is something rotten in the State of the Netherlands...
Several stories I’ve seen, including this one, say waits as long as six hours. Yes, it seems a ridiculous situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.voa...-/6592230.html
Old May 28, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Also see Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards
Old May 28, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Seems like security staff labour action: https://liveandletsfly.com/ams-airport-chaos/
Will be there next week
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
You can't check in more than 2 hours before flights at the moment and then it's all pretty quick if you are Sky Priority.
The big waits are airside as flights get delayed or cancelled and then crews run over their allowed working time.
l etoile likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
You can't check in more than 2 hours before flights at the moment and then it's all pretty quick if you are Sky Priority.
The big waits are airside as flights get delayed or cancelled and then crews run over their allowed working time.
Thank you. Good to know.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mandolino
Doesn’t the UA check-in at AMS still open and check-in people more than 2 hours before departure for the UA flights to EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD/SFO?

United says to show up for check-in at least four hours before departing AMS for its flights to the US out of there due to “long security wait times”.
l etoile likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 10, 2022 at 1:31 am
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:09 am

You can definitely check in earlier than 2 hours before your flight. It depends on the airline in question how far in advance they open their check in counters.
Schiphol currently doesn’t allow passengers to enter the Departures hall more than 4 hours before their flight. Too many passengers showed up way too early and clogged up the departures area. This resulted in passengers who arrived 2,5 hours before their flight standing in the line for security behind passengers who arrived 5 hours in advance.
mandolino likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Doesn’t the UA check-in at AMS still open and check-in people more than 2 hours before departure for the UA flights to EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD/SFO?

United says to show up for check-in at least four hours before departing AMS for its flights to the US out of there due to “long security wait times”.
Sorry, yes I was thinking of short-haul intra European flights.
But even so, if you are Sky Priority, security should not be a big hold-up on a long-haul.

The delays have mostly been on the shorter flights, and then mostly airside.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Breda_travelgirl
You can definitely check in earlier than 2 hours before your flight. It depends on the airline in question how far in advance they open their check in counters.
Schiphol currently doesn’t allow passengers to enter the Departures hall more than 4 hours before their flight. Too many passengers showed up way too early and clogged up the departures area. This resulted in passengers who arrived 2,5 hours before their flight standing in the line for security behind passengers who arrived 5 hours in advance.
UA this morning was still explicitly recommending that AMS-originating UA customers show up to AMS check-in “at least four hours before” the UA flights from AMS due to the long security wait times there. That’s straight from UA’s mouth, and it is even also still explicitly noted on UA’s apps too. While I would do my own thing, this is what UA is recommending at AMS.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:28 am

UA can recommend all they want, but they don’t control who can enter the Departures area at Schiphol at what time. That’s up to the discretion of Schiphol. The airport explicitly states on their website that passengers are only allowed into the departures area if their flight leaves within 4 hours; https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/...rs-before-your
There is staff at the entrance into the departures area to check that your flight is indeed leaving within 4 hours. If not, you will be made to wait outside. There really is no point in showing up more than 4 hours in advance, because you won’t be allowed in.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:34 am

Things seemed OK when my tech (he's KLM Gold - Sky Priority) went through yesterday, AMS-ABZ.
Quickly checked in and through security, didn't go to his gate from the lounge until the very last minute, as we've seen that that is when the delays often happen - after you've gone to the gate.
In the end, only 15 min delay.

There were posters up when I was there asking passengers not to arrive too early before their take-off time. 2.5h was requested, I think.
l etoile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.